Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Singlespeed and track chains
  • shedbrewed
    Free Member

Potentially daft question.
    Second SS chain has stretched past usability and I’m wondering if instead of using another shimano 7 speed chain I can use a track chain.
    Question is are they the same pitch/width or not?

Edit to add, if anyone can recommend any SS chains, please do.

qwerty
    Free Member

KMC Z610 is what you need, Z510 is the track version which will also work, but may be a little noisier.

kcal

Track chains have different rollers IIRC, so not so kind to fluctuating chainlines.

somafunk

” pedant alert” Chains do not stretch, the poor quality rollers will wear. Either Wipperman or KMC ss chains should last longer “pedant alert off”

big_n_daft
    Free Member

use a gusset badger

shedbrewed
    Free Member

Thanks for the tips.
    It’s a SS specific frame so no fluctuating chain line.
    Somafunk, why is a worn chain longer than a new chain then?

somafunk

Because of wear/removal of metal from the roller pin/bush design of modern chains (sedis pin design).

thomthumb
    Free Member

KMC Z610 is what you need

+1

shermer75
    Free Member

Track chains use a different pitch (1/8 inch instead of 3/32 inch) so will not work

tthew

That’s the width, not the pitch. Yes, 7 speed to single speed should be OK, but if you need to change the sprocket/chainring get them all the same.

bob_summers

I’ve used Izumi silver 1/8″ chains for everything, racing on and off road, track etc with zero problems, and I like the motorcycle style quick link (fit / remove with needle nosed pliers or a house key at the side of the trail). Worth the extra tenner or so.

breadcrumb

I’ve used both KMC Z610 and SRAM PC870, both have shown good longtivity.

Only chains I’ve heard that actually stretch are the half link kind- the folds straighten out.

shermer75
    Free Member

This is all true, my earlier post was complete bobbins. Interesting stuff here

big_n_daft
    Free Member

1/8 chains work on 3/32 sprockets but not the other way

Yak

Stick to 3/32″ . The increased lateral movement of 1/8″ doesn’t help and can cause problems. Kmc are good. Never use a sram PC1. Worse than soft cheese on a hot day.

hypnotoad
    Free Member

It does depend on what sprockets you are running. I’m running a white ind. freewheel and old campag front chainring, and should be running a 3/32″ chain.

However, I’m using a 1/8″ chain and it works fine, but when I replace it I’ll be sure to pick up a z610.

Some BMX freewheels or track chainrings will need a 1/8″ chain however.

MrSmith
    Free Member

Had no issues running an Izumi track chain on surly stainless ring/surly cogs. Having more room between the plates seemed to let the mud squish out the way more.

TiRed

The increased lateral movement of 1/8″ doesn’t help and can cause problems.

Well you’ll soon tire of the creaking noise, anyway. I’ve used SRAM chains and KMC and not had problems with either. This on fixed, track and SS mtb. My fixed has “stretched” a bit and probably could do with replacing, but I just move the wheel back a little further 😉 . I tried a 1/8″ but the weight and absence of power from my modest frame meant that 3/32″ was all that’s required. Never broken one, regardless of price.

john_l
    Free Member

Alternatively, use a SRAMPC971 & save a bit of weight.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Singlespeed and track chains’ is closed to new replies.