Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Singlespeed and the demise of Middleburn
  • MountainMutant
    Free Member

Am currently servicing my winter singlespeed and the ring on my Middleburn RS8 crank is FUBAR’d

Before I went on holiday I had a ring sitting in the basket at SJS Cycles at £66. They now want £130 for the same ring robbing bastards.

I have an old set of XT M760 triple cranks. Can I just remove the outer and inner rings leaving me the 32T to use?

If so, can I use up the stock of SRAM PC1 singlespeed chains I have or will that not run on the Shimano ring properly? (Ring seems a lot thinner than the Middleburn). Or is there a singlespeed specific ring that I can fit to these cranks

Any advice to this singlespeed numpty greatly received

MM

wiggles
    Free Member

Yes you can use the cranks would be advisable to change the ring. As the one on there will be ramped and have pick up points (for shifting) which obviously you don’t want on a singlespeed

thegreatape
    Free Member

I assume you have a spider, but wolftooth do direct mount rings for middleburn if that would work for you?

mattbee

I now deeply regret selling 2 sets of RS7 and a selection of Uno & Duo rinds & 5 arm spiders/rings last year for £80….

MountainMutant
    Free Member

Cranks don’t have a spider. It’s an UNO ring.
    Wolftooth do have an UNO looking ring but not sure it’s the right thing.

MountainMutant
    Free Member

Thanks BND

Anyone used Absolute Black oval rings? Can put this on the XT crank

http://absoluteblack.cc/oval-104bcd-chainring.html

The Goldtec one linked above isn’t dished like my UNO ring so not sure that’s right for the Middleburn RS8

thegreatape
    Free Member

Ah, I was getting muddled. I thought you were suggesting taking the middle ring OFF your XT cranks to stick on the middleburn, hence the assumption you had a spider.

MountainMutant
    Free Member

Ah no sorry. Either need replacement Middleburn ring or I have a set of XT cranks I could use.

Looks like the XT will be the cheaper option but wont look as good!

EDIT. In saying that maybe I can get a spider and ring to fit the RS8?

Nipper99
    Free Member

The dished ring/spider is for the RS8 – the RS7 is flat iirc.

garage-dweller

The ramped and pinned ring will be poop for SS use (I have tried).

I’ve used a salsa ring on xt cranks before with no issues. You might need some shorter bolts which shouldn’t be too hard to get.

If it were me I’d retire the middleburns as pretty as they are because of the increased running costs and spares scarcity (but then I put Alivio cranks on my SS so I could run a square taper crank and properly sealed BB in the winter filth)!

CraigW
    Free Member

Put a bashguard on the outside of the XT cranks, it will look a bit nicer. BBG Bashguard are nice.

cookeaa

If it were me I’d retire the middleburns as pretty as they are because of the increased running costs and spares scarcity (but then I put Alivio cranks on my SS so I could run a square taper crank and properly sealed BB in the winter filth)!

Really? Bin ’em just because the company’s gone bust? It’s a bit “baby out with the bath water” innit?

If I owned some RS7/RS8s I would just look for a 104 BCD spider (Right now!) as that option, whilst not quite as aesthetic allows you to use a vast number of alternative chainrings. It at least makes the cranks a better 2nd hand proposition if you did flog then on…

amedias
    Free Member

Of the 6 sets of Middleburns in our house I think only 1 of them is actually using a Middleburn ring, I don’t see anything about to change or any issues with running them for another 10-15 years…

gray

I think I have an unused Uno ring somewhere. Unlikely to ever need it now I should think. I could probably dig it out if someone really wants it.

Duffer
    Free Member

I’d say that now is the perfect time to look after your Middleburn kit, not to throw it out.

That said, the XT stuff wil work with just the middle ring installed (i’ve run my SLX that way for a few years) although it’s not the perfect soloution.

drofluf
    Free Member

Gray. I’m interested. What size is it and how much do you want?

crotchrocket
    Free Member

I have a black 4 bolt 104 PCD spider i bought (by accident) for my middleburns somewhere…
    What are they worth these days?

*email in profile*

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

The dished ring/spider is for the RS8 – the RS7 is flat iirc.

That dished ring is the reason I never used the HT2 middleburn stuff. Expensive to replace and gopping!

OP, shell out for a spider and use Surly rings. They last forever!

epicyclo

suburbanreuben – Member
    …OP, shell out for a spider and use Surly rings. They last forever!

Or the On-One version which is prettier.

suburbanreuben
    Free Member

Good spot, Epic!

shermer75
    Free Member

This is a really useful thread, I’m in the same boat as my right hand crank has just snapped (RS7 I think- whichever one takes the Uno chainring). Currently eating for an Acera chainset from Rose bikes as it was the only square taper chainset I could find!

gray

Gray. I’m interested. What size is it and how much do you want?

I *think* it’s a 32. I’ll try to dig it out later. I haven’t the foggiest how much they cost.

Gunz
    Free Member

I was going to convert my RS7s to single ring until I just looked at SJS’s prices, blimey, think I’ll pop it on the Cross Check instead.

MountainMutant
    Free Member

I’d also be interested Gray

I’ve ordered new bits for the XT but would rather run the middleburns.

I’m after a 32t. They are usually £66 new for the uno ring.

shermer75
    Free Member

RJC X-Treme are still showing some for sale although it has been 10 days since I ordered mine and there is no sign of it yet…

http://www.rjcx-treme.co.uk/acatalog/copy_of_copy_of_MIDDLEBURN_UNO_CHAINRINGS.html

drofluf
    Free Member

@gray. Would you take £30? Thr RJC ones are £46 new as is a Goldtec.

bedmaker

You could always get busy with the tools and make your own spider 🙂

Piece of 4mm steel plate, a 5mm drill and a chainsaw file. This allows me to use an oval 64 BCD ring on my Dude with perfect chainline

[/url]2016-09-12_09-06-36

nixie

Your cranks are scrap now I’m afraid. I’ll do you a favour and ‘dispose’ or them safely. :mrgreen:

shermer75
    Free Member

Impressive toolsmanship bedmaker! 🙂

gray

Finally got around to digging around in the shed. Definitely 32 tooth, definitely unused. Doesn’t say Middleburn on it though. I don’t even remember where I got it from, it was so long ago. Could be a genuine one from the deep past, but equally could be made by someone else. Here’s a photo:

I feel like the OP ought to have first dibs, so, MountainMutant, let me know if you want it. If not then drofluf is welcome to it. Will be cheap – no point it sitting in my shed for another decade or two.

MountainMutant
    Free Member

Thanks Gray but that is not the right ring for my cranks. The uno ring is dished, not flat like that.

I’m hoping I’ll pick up a spider cheap off eBay sometime but for now am going to use the XT cranks

MM

drofluf
    Free Member

Thanks , it’s the one that I need and if £30 is OK I’ll take it. Probably best to continue via email.? Mine’s Paul <dot> Fulford <at> gmail.com

mos

I definateley had a thick thin Wolftooth blue snowflake one as shown in the thread below.
    I’ll have a look tonight & & see if it’s still in the parts bin.

Found: Wolf Tooth Components Machined Chainrings Fit XX1 to Any Crankset

If its still there you can have it for nowt.

shermer75
    Free Member

The Middleburn chainring from RJC Xtreme isn’t coming, they’ve just emailed to say that they are going to refund the money….

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Singlespeed and the demise of Middleburn’ is closed to new replies.