Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Singles ski holiday recommendations please
  • Woody
    Free Member

For various reasons which I won't bore you with it looks like I'm going solo this year. Can anyone recommend a ski company/area that caters for this type of holiday.
    I'm a pretty competent skier and reasonable boarder but will be skiing mostly and have been to most of the 'big' european areas and some of the 'lesser' ones.

Ideally looking for

a. Varied choice of slopes with good snow record as I'll be going end March
    b. Reasonable nightlife without being too 'Dicks Tea Bar'
    c. Isn't priced for bankers trying to spend their remaining 50% bonuses
    d. Flights from Manchester northwards (ideally Newcastle)

Quite fancy Canada as it appears to be good value but have thoroughly enjoyed a couple of smaller Austrian resorts in recent years

Any recommendations appreciated. Cheers 😉

mrmichaelwright
    Free Member

Whistler, it has the highest incidence of STIs in Canada apparently

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

If there summer holidays are anything to go by, I'd look at Neilson.

Woody
    Free Member

Whistler sounds strangely attractive 😳

nbt

Check snowheads.com – there are several "bash" holidays where you will be paired with someone in a room share (or you can pay extra for your own room), or you;ll probably be able to hook up with a random group if the bash dates don't fit

lunge

Second snowheads, it's like the STW of skiing, generally nice bunch and friendly enough.

Woody
    Free Member

Now registered with Snowheads. Excellent

Cheers

singletrackmind

Neilsom ski solo chatroom. Meet up with another solo to form a pair, or join a group and take a chalet.
    Done both, enjoyed the group thing as it was like big brother , but without the self opinionated c@cks.
    Or Snowheads , or SCUK.

Colin-T

Action Outdoors are a good site, their UCPA based holidays work out a good price.

Adventura/Snowbreaks is a more "singles" but not horribly so.

Woody
    Free Member

It's that 'horribly so' part I'm trying to avoid ie. those who are Billy/Belinda no mates for a very good reason + the "I'm desperate to find a life-partner" types!

Not sure about sharing a room with a complete stranger either. Knowing my luck……………………

Colin-T

It's that 'horribly so' part I'm trying to avoid ie. those who are Billy/Belinda no mates for a very good reason + the "I'm desperate to find a life-partner" types!

Yeah obviously, anyone who is single is a failure who desperately wants to be in a relationship but due to personality deficiencies is unable to relate to the opposite sex. 🙄

I did one of the snowbreaks ski-trips and I was a bit worried before-hand but it turned out that it was full of normal people who all liked to ski or board and who mostly happened to be single. No silly games or stupid activities. Plenty of people to ski with or you could just bugger off on your own if thats what you fancied. Skiing or boarding was the reason everyone was there.

Woody
    Free Member

Colin-T

Point taken and you are absolutely right, of course.

No reason why individuals sharing a common interest shouldn't get along just fine. Probably why ST is such haven of tranquility and good natured banter 😯

Colin-T

Sorry Woody, defensive overdrive there.

Xmas and New-Year in particualr always brings up the bile and bitterness.

…and did I mention on my trip the women outnumbered the men 2:1? Which was my other worry, that it would be all single lads and become a macho sad-fest.

jam-bo

UCPA through action outdoors is great. shared dorms but good atmosphere, good food, great prices. tuition/guiding/lift pass thrown in and the chamonix cosmique is 250yds from the centre of town.

Woody
    Free Member

Sorry Woody, defensive overdrive there.

Xmas and New-Year in particualr always brings up the bile and bitterness.

No worries. I know the feeling and for once I'm not unhappy that I'm working.

The Snowbreaks site looks looks interesting (if a little pricey) and that ratio of 2:1 would not influence me in any way whatsoever, oh no, not at all. Just out of interest and purely from a skiing viewpoint, can you tell me exactly where you went 😀

Shandy
    Free Member

These are very nice people, holidays in Morzine and Chamonix.

Cold Fusion Chalets

Andy-W
    Free Member

http://www.markwarner.co.uk/ski

I ski on my own and have been with these a few times to Val d'Isere and am going again this season.

Colin-T

I went to Flaine. They're not running the trip this year, nor the one to Tignes that I wanted.

Was a great holiday went over New Year. Early night NYE 'cos it was snowing. Woke up to fresh snow, on the first lift New Year's day and had the mountain almost to myself. Bliss.

I'm thinking of trying Passo Tonale in Italy late Jan, early Feb next time.

Woody
    Free Member

I've been to Italy 4 times (lots more if you count skiing from Montgenevre to Claviere)and never had decent snow + I met my ex while skiing in Champoluc, so although I like Italy and the people a lot, it's not been a very lucky place for me 🙁

Passo Tonale looks like it should be good on all fronts. Have fun.

Thanks for all the replies and suggestions. I'm sure I'll find something amongst those. 🙂

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Singles ski holiday recommendations please’ is closed to new replies.