Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)
  • Singlepeed road bikes
  • john_l
    Free Member

Flyer here too – one of the old ones. Really nice to ride.

I’d avoid that hi-tensile thing 🙂

Pickers

does anyone prefer the new flyer geometry to the old?

I can’t speak for the older one, pleased with my 2016 model for the 50 or so miles I’ve done on it so far. I believe the 2016 Flyer shares it’s geometry with the Equilibrium, which is a good base I’d say.

rp16v
    Free Member

Been eyeing up flyers and day ones today as i have a lovley cherry red one sat in my workstand waiting on a f/w tomorrow
    however
    A- what gearing do most of you use ? I tried to replicate today on my commute by not shifting thinking id have trouble with gearing as my commute is very up and down
    B- im 5’7″ and ride a small defy any ideas how he fitting is on these?

hopster
    Free Member

Have you take a look at one of these?

[/url]P4040232 by hwe pang, on Flickr[/img]

Dolan FXE, more pics here.

hopster
    Free Member

A- what gearing do most of you use ? I tried to replicate today on my commute by not shifting thinking id have trouble with gearing as my commute is very up and down

I’m running a 42×16 in hilly Bristol

simondbarnes

48×19 fixed for me. Am also about 5’7″ and ride a 54cm flyer. In the 2016 model I’d get a small.

amedias
    Free Member

Gearing is totally personal and dependant in you, the area/terrain, the bike and how lunch luggage you might also be carrying.

FWIW here in Devon my winter SS road bike is running 44:17 with 165mm cranks, prior to that it was 46:17 with 170s

rp16v
    Free Member

Hopster im in bristol aswell across from stockwood to bradley stoke using a4/avonmeads bridge and up concord way so very up and downy lol

TiRed

42×14 fixed. Not for big hills but geared for 21 mph. All stock bikes are geared 42×16, which is 16 mph at 90 RPM.

jonba
    Free Member

Mango bikes?

They have some non hipster options

shermer75
    Free Member
    TiRed

Dolan FXE is 73 degrees parallel as per their pre cursa introductory track bike and my older Paddy Wagon. It will have classic road bike handling.

For a brief period, Pearson made the only carbon fixed wheel road bike (as opposed to track bike drilled for a road brake). I’ve never located one 🙁

shermer75
    Free Member

Was that the Cartouche? I remember reading about that…

TiRed

Yes it was. Never seen one in the flesh. I have a Dolan Seta, which is a lovely carbon track frame with a good road bike position, but the head angle is a road unfriendly 74 degrees. I also have a Pre Cursa. And a Poyner track bike in 531 that I have also ridden on the road. Road bike geometry is so much better than track geometry for daily riding.

And two brakes. Always two brakes.

cookeaa

I like the look of that Arkose single myself, three years commuting on a gas pipe fixie has taught me to spin a bit better but something lighter, with a freewheel and disc brakes is starting to appeal, any ideas what size tyres it would clear with guards on?

hopster
    Free Member

I took a look at the Arkose. Its fitted with 40s I believe and I think you could fit 35s with guards.

sssimon
    Free Member

this tread has reminded me to drop my flyer off to the painters!

Had 2 flyers, the first white one and then the green from the following year that I bought off here last year and have gradually been collecting bits for, just need to decide on a colour

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

48 x 18 here in the lumpy IoW. It’s classic SS – never seems to be quite right, but having gurned up some steep stuff and spun-out drafting a former cat-1 roadie I’d say its probably not far out.

Just over 70in gearing, FTR. Everyone above seems to be in a 68-71in bracket too.

Pickers

The 2016MY Flyer came with 42×17 gearing out of the box, 65ish” both fixed and SS freewheel on the flip-flop hub. Suits me as I’m more of a spinner than a masher, it’s identical to what I used to run on my 531 fixed until it rusted through.

TiRed

Not quite all of us ;-). 42×16 is a good gear for starting. I’d ride 42×15 for Audax. My 3:1 is 76 inches and I know I would not have got round yesterday’s Chiltern loop. I spin out at about 29 mph over longer spells in the bunch.

It’s also an absolute killer into a headwind!

RustySpanner

Does the 2016 Flyer have separate rack and mudguard eyelets, or one eyelet for both?

Beautiful looking bike, aren’t they?

Pickers

Does the 2016 Flyer have separate rack and mudguard eyelets, or one eyelet for both?

Separate eyes at the rear dropouts, the LH seatstay eye is annoyingly right behind the brake caliper upright thingy though.

Beautiful looking bike, aren’t they?

Must admit I do think so.

Viewing 22 posts - 41 through 62 (of 62 total)

The topic ‘Singlepeed road bikes’ is closed to new replies.