Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Single speed skewer problem. Advice please!
  • inkster
    Free Member

Back wheel keeps slipping in dropouts, 32/ 16 ratio means axle is either too tight in drop out to fit chain tug, or too far back to be safely secure. [DMR swopout ss dropouts]

Got some outland allen bolt skewers t’other day but still slips and almost rounded out the socket already! Allen key fit not that tight to begin with, only a few re-tightens away from rounding out completely.

Dont really want to go the half link route, may try 34 / 17 to get axle in right position for chain tug but that’ll cost more. Was wondering if there’s any better quality Allen bolt skewers out there?

Any advice appreciated.

I experimented with different QRs on a Rohloff Chameleon until I found one that wouldn’t slip.
    Unfortunately, I can’t remember which one it was now, so that’s not much help.

The outer face of the hub nuts and the inner faces of the QR will have serrations.
    If it’s slipped in the past, these will be clogged up with aluminium swarf from the frame.
    Clean them out to give it a chance next time.

schmiken

Shimano skewers generally have the most clamping force, seem to have worked well for me!

oneoneoneone
    Free Member

just out of interest, but why dont you want to use a half link?? it may be a cheep and easy solution to your problem.

i had this problem a few years back, i changed chain and cassette (cost a few ££) all to be solved buy a 99p half link!!

13thfloormonk

I would definitely try a Shimano skewer, I’ve solved a few slipping horizontal dropout problems with Shimano QRs, and am running one now on my Genesis singlespeed (although its got a chain tug, so that doesn’t really prove anything).

Definitely worth giving one a shot, and remember to follow the shimano instructions, i.e. the lever should begin to bite at the 90degree point give or take a little bit.

inkster
    Free Member

didn’t want to break the chain and weaken it for half link, though looking at chain [proper ss one] the pins seem to stick out a fair way, so looks more durable than normal chain. Prob take your advice and stump up the 99p!

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

If you still want to try a bolt up skewer … I can recommend Halo ones, even with an allen key set to FT they’ve not shown any signs of rounding out.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Single speed skewer problem. Advice please!’ is closed to new replies.