Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Single speed road hubs, which ones?
  • barrykellett
    Free Member

Need to build a set of wheels for my 120mm spaced pompino frame, pronto.

I have a pair of mavic open pro rims ready to build onto, but havent decided on the hubs.

Everything available seems to be a "track hub" – And very open to the elements.

The On-One fixed hubs looked a bargain and I was told you can screw on a freewheel on them to ride SS instead of fixed, but you can clearly see the cartridge bearing facing out the side of the hub exposed to all the elements. For me this makes a mockery of my intention to build this up as a weather proof winter machine.

Advice and opinions… and recommendations?

crazy-legs

I'm running Goldtec track hubs on my roadie SS, they take fixed and freewheel. Quite heavy but excellent quality, well sealed and they're fairly reasonably priced too. Plus they come in lots of pretty colours.

hopster
    Free Member
    simon1975

The On-one track hub is working fine for me, on my Pompino being used regularly off road in all conditions. It's a real bargain and seems to be well made.

I'm not too worried about those bearings being exposed, I had the same arrangement on my Kona KK hub on the MTB and that didn't seem to wear too prematurely. They're cheap and easy to replace anyway.

juan
    Free Member

Go for the on-one hubs. Maybe the seals are very well weather proof, and you can always bodge a proofing for the money you can't really go wrong.

monkeychild
    Free Member

I have on-one hubs with planet x wheels on my pompy. They have threads on both sides for screwing cogs of any variation on.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Single speed road hubs, which ones?’ is closed to new replies.