Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)
  • Single speed full bounce …….. they say it can’t be done …..
  • trisysjoint

What do you all reckon then, my theory is that you could singlespeed a Kona Dawg if you use a sprung tensioner and probably a chain guide too.

????

singlespeedstu

There’s quite a few full sus singlespeeds out there.

tooslow
    Free Member

Use a rear mech as a tensioner and you can SS anything.

fingerbike
    Free Member
    trisysjoint

Never seen one myself.
    Suppose the chain growth isn’t much more than a few mm it is entirely possible and practical.

XC_PK
    Free Member

Kona A sounds like what you want. It has adjustable drop outs to make up the chain tension. Oh SSS, I have your old A the silver and blue one!! 😉

trb
    Free Member

I believe Kona made a Full suss SS a few year back. Don’t remember what it was called.

You’d have to create your own clique and ride alone if you did it though, as you’d be shunned by the SS crowd and the FS crowd 😕

RudiBoy
    Free Member

Brooklyn
    Old klein mantras

all SS’ able

coffeeking
    Free Member

10 seconds on google… 🙂

bikerbaboon
    Free Member

Go for a SS full sus but use a 29 er and ridgid forks….. then every one will think you are mad as a box of frogs.

clubber
    Free Member

SS Full Sus isn’t new…

Just tape up your shifters 🙂

trisysjoint

Coffeeking ….. Your not running a tensioner on that Kona, how do you get around that ?

clubber
    Free Member

If it’s a Kona A, the swingingarm pivots around the BB so there’s no need for a tensioner.

J0N
    Free Member

as long as the wheel track is concentric to the chain wheel it shouldn’t be a problem.
    SSS….just dont change gears.
    Fixed FS…now that would be challenging (and interesting).

XC_PK
    Free Member

The dropouts are slidy. I can go and take a couple of pics of mine if you want.

dr_adams
    Free Member

is it me or ae there two chains on that bottom Kona? one on each side?

coffeeking
    Free Member

trisys – not mine, just put “singlespeed full suspension” into google, 2 of dozens of results 😀

Yup two chains on teh bottom one, presumably just two sets of rings and a flip-flop hub?

singlespeedstu

cx_pk.

You still using the “A” then?

Any pics of it?

amedias
    Free Member

my Kona A is probably the most fun bike I own, all the stupidty of one gear, with the added fun off springs!

old pic:

now has pace forks, and sensible bars
    Thinking of trying out the tensioner approach on my tracer too…

Matt

clubber
    Free Member

Anyone got a 20″ Kona A frame that they want to sell? 🙂

wormhole

should’nt to could’nt is what they said

oxym0r0n

is it me or ae there two chains on that bottom Kona? one on each side?

That’s the second one I’ve seen like that – why??????

Edit: There was a guy at Bristol Bike Fest last year who was riding a Merida FullsuSS…

singlespeedstu

Here you go.

A close up pic of my old “A” shows how the rear pivots round the BB for constant chain tension.

mamadirt
    Free Member

Someone over on mtbr.com successfully singlespeeded a Stinky (taking things a bit too far I reckon 😉 ). Loved my two Cowan DS singlespeeds tho’ they were pretty light, but I’m over the SS thing now (9 speed rocks 8) ).

XC_PK
    Free Member

SSS- I bought it of a guy here about a month and a half ago whose name is beyond me at the moment, I will have to take it out and get some action shots soon. It does come up really shiny after you spend a couple of ‘minutes’ polishing….

My A frame looks like Amedias’ but it has a Fox rear shock and is running discs.

oxym0r0n

Random find:

zaskar
    Free Member

Usually single pivot full sussers can be converted.

God those the bikes look like fun to ride-SS+susser=mental 😆

takisawa2

A chap we were out with snapped the mech hanger on his Orange 5.
    He shortened the chain & finished the ride. We took in some serious trails & climbs & it only came off a couple of times.

hungrymonkey
    Free Member

my kona A (2nd hand) arrived yesterday… 😀

bit like amedaus’, but with mag HS33s, king front wheel, mx comps etc.

can’t wait to ride it… but planning on going to the gym today… tomorrow perhaps.

Shinythings
    Free Member

Clubber YGM

XC_PK
    Free Member

I thought I was being a bit niche, turns out A’s are as common as inbreds! 😉

clubber
    Free Member

Shinythings – thanks but I’m 6’5″ so I really do need a 20″ one..

kelvin

Who are “they” ?

XC_PK
    Free Member

IIRC Daffy was looking to sell his ‘A’ I can’t remember what size it was though.

clubber
    Free Member

And come to think of it, when I say “need” what I really mean is “would like but would probably be crucified if I added yet another bike to the fleet right after the latest one…” 😉

Nicknoxx
    Free Member

Mine’s a Rohloff but it’s the same principle.

amedias
    Free Member

I thought I was being a bit niche, turns out A’s are as common as inbreds!

only on here…. 😉

VanHalen

does the A bob like hell when pedalling?

james
    Free Member

“Yup two chains on teh bottom one, presumably just two sets of rings and a flip-flop hub”

Aren’t flip flop hubs fixed on one side though? Off-road fixed could be somewhat difficult
    Also, if you put a driveside crank on the driveside, you’ll need a driveside pedal too (would need to rebuild a non-driveside pedal with a driveside axle for an SPD to work, or a forward weight bias type flat pedal (like a proper MTB one). Once you’d done that, the pedal would unscrew with pedalling anyway?
    Unless its a crank arm intended for a tandem, with the pedal threads the correct way round to use on the non-driveside

“does the A bob like hell when pedalling? “
    Should that be:
    does the A bob like hell when pedalling singlespeed?

Shinythings
    Free Member

Clubber said:
    “And come to think of it, when I say “need” what I really mean is “would like but would probably be crucified if I added yet another bike to the fleet right after the latest one…”

Fair do’s, probably a bit Dinky for you, but you can never have too many bikes-FACT 😀

Anybody else want a genuinely good frame?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 60 total)

The topic ‘Single speed full bounce …….. they say it can’t be done …..’ is closed to new replies.