Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • single speed freewheel – any less expensive alternatives?
  • andcarson
    Free Member

Hi all. Having destroyed my cheapo freewheel today, I’m researching a replacement. Anyone have any experiences with a durable but less expensive alternative to the white industries one?
    Cheers Andy

umop3pisdn
    Free Member

Halo Clickster is nice and cheaper than a WI

qwerty
    Free Member

I think STW tested one ages ago, ACS I think, around £40. FWIW if you buy a WI it will pay off in the long run.

mattk
    Free Member

I’ve found free wheels to be a bit like bottom brackets. You destroy several cheap ones before finally buying a good one.

Plus the noise of the WI is awsumz!!!

amedias
    Free Member

+1 Halo Clickster, better pickup than the standard WI one and so far mine seems just as durable and they’re ~ £40

plus-one

WI every time.. Destroyed a few shimano/dicta and even destroyed a £45 token one 🙁

Bought a wi and it’s well worth the investment just replaced bearing in mine after around 18mths of abuse(bought second hand) and loads of miles(never skipped a beat) just sounded tad gritty..

Del

WI are rebuildable, yes, but getting parts that make it economically viable? I have a couple kicking about the place that require new outers, new bearings and probably pawls before too long. bearings seem to last a year to 18 months for me, the outer lasts ~ 2.5 years. This last one I have on now is looking very hooked but is still going. The two I have laying around I have broken a tooth off each.
    If I keep a WI going for three years ( let’s say ) it will cost about 85 quid ( bearing ~ 15 quid IIRC ) at UK prices. Yes, they work nicely, yes they make a great noise, yes, when this one fails I will replace it, but I don’t think it’s worth a complete rebuild on the old ones that require the outers, unless someone has the skinny on some good prices for spares?
    Shame – there’s a big old hunk of Stainless there. They’re not actually bad value, even at RRP, when you think how much effort must go in to them.
    How much are the Halos? are the bearings replaceable?

ski
    Free Member

How about Sturmey Archer?

richen987
    Free Member

Halo clicksters are brilliant and last for ages , triton cycles were doing them for 32 the other day as well when I picked mine up. Makes a nice satisfying clicky sound as well.

andcarson
    Free Member

Thanks for all the ideas. Are the halo ones serviceable?

andcarson
    Free Member

By the way, the dicta one I killed today lasted about 10 rides!

richen987
    Free Member

I Dont think the halo ones are serviceable but thewu a are cheap enough and last long enough for it nor to be a problem.

I have a 17tooth halo
    O clickster that did about 50miles on before changing to 18th
    If you want it for 25 posted drop me an email.

ctk
    Free Member

People speak well of the NOS Suntour BMX ones available on ebay@ £12

I have one it seems good quality but I’ve not used it yet… bike build in process.

jameso

Brick lane bikes have some under their brand, not used them but they look ok, like a better Shimano rather than a WI level FW.

captainscrumpy
    Free Member

+1 for ACS freewheels, I have one and its still going strong after two years of total abuse.

Thrustyjust
    Free Member

Thanks to Tim at Sideways, fitted my WI today. Tried others in the past and WI is one of the best.

scott_mcavennie2
    Free Member

Halo clickster here as well. Done about 1500 miles so far and it’s been excellent. Feels and sounds as good as it did when I bought it.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘single speed freewheel – any less expensive alternatives?’ is closed to new replies.