Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Single speed cranks
  • ndg
    Free Member

I’m currently helping the father in law build up a P7 with an alfine 11 rear hub. What recommendations do people have for a decent crank/chainring combo? Preferably external bottom bracket. The whole build is being done with new parts (wish I could build a bike that way!) so any links much appreciated!

The bikes not going to be doing anything massive, maybe a few trail centre reds at worst.

Current bits purchased –
    P7 in viper green
    Black rebas from merlin
    Alfine rear hub, dynamo front (he’s sorted out the wheels, so not sure on exact specs until they turn up)
    XT brakes thanks to the PSA on here
    Single speed SRAM chain

finishing kit will most likely be orange bits with a smattering of hope.

Cheers for any suggestions.

N

matthewlhome
    Free Member

Just use whatever nice cranks you like and fit a SS chainring. I use xts with an one one steel ring and some short chainring bolts from Charlie the bike monger. would be tempted by middleburn now though with the way shimano prices have risen in the past few years

ndg
    Free Member

Doesn’t seem right to buy a whole bunch of cogs he’s not going to use though! Is there nothing SS specific out there, and not the Alfine one – it looks far too plastic!

MostlyBalanced
    Free Member

Stick the unwanted cogs on ebay or the classifieds here, someone will soon have them.
    You could buy Gusset cranks (in many different colours) on their own and a chain ring to suit but that wouldn’t be the cheapest way of doing it. Find them on http://www.ison-distribution.com

takisawa2

Deore HT2’s are good, even though they aren’t hollow, just heavily scolloped out on the back. Running mine for year or two now with no issues. The steel middle ring lasts ages also, if you wanted to use it.

jameso

Tip ..
    Don’t use an Alfine sprocket, you’ll need the Nexus version and an 8spd or your ss chain. Then you can flip the sproket to put the teeth further from the hub centre, gives around 50mm chainline that works with the middle ring position of any current MTB chainset.

I’d go for a Shimano HT2 crank. Not many SS specific options around.

turboferret

Assuming you are happy running 32t up front, then a Middleburn Uno would be a good option.

Cheers, Rich

cynic-al
    Free Member

SS Specific cranks are for bling poseurs or idiots with too much money.

ndg
    Free Member

Thanks for the tips, looking about, it looks like HT2 with the option of a bash guard would be a good choice then! Either that or he can buy the middleburns if he wants the bling factor!

brant
    Free Member

Tip ..
    Don’t use an Alfine sprocket, you’ll need the Nexus version and an 8spd or your ss chain. Then you can flip the sproket to put the teeth further from the hub centre, gives around 50mm chainline that works with the middle ring position of any current MTB chainset.
    I’d go for a Shimano HT2 crank. Not many SS specific options around.

Or you can just take the Alfine sprocket off and reverse it. It’s dished.

Russell96

SLX chainset can be found at a decent price fit it with a On-One stainless steel chainring and keep the original chainrings as spares for the geared bikes.

69er
    Free Member

There’s a pair of Middleburn 180’s on eBay, not mine but I can highly recommend them. All you need is a nice Royce bb to go with them….

travellingman
    Free Member

Middleburn RS7 or 8s with Uno chainring cost a whopping £20 more than a SLX chainset with an On One 32t ring! And that’s buying the SLX from Germany and not taking into account the cost of single chainring bolts..
    Ok not the most straightforward of comparisons but if you’re buying from scratch (unless you’ve already got an MTB triple chainset to use) you can’t really describe the Middleburn option as ‘bling’.
    Just a sound choice that’ll last a lifetime.

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Single speed cranks’ is closed to new replies.