Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)
  • Single speed commuter recommendations
  • tomaso
    Free Member

Suggestions wanted for a singlespeed commuter to replace my crumbling Langster. The Langster meets all my needs except accommodating mudguards and reasonably comfy 28mm tyres. My current shopping list is mainly focussed upon the Kona Paddy Wagon and Genesis Flyer, I have pondered a Dolan FXE but I am not convinced it will accommodate mudguards AND 28mm tyres.

It is a shame they don’t make the Langster a little more suited to the UK’s perma-damp wet through grey weather as I find everything else about the bike great.

shermer75
    Free Member

I haven’t tried a Genesis Flyer, there’s lashings of space for mudguards on a Day One though. Almost too much! 🙂

shermer75
    Free Member

I just had a look at my Dolan PreCursa, which I think the FXE is based on. I think that you are right, it would be a bit too tight for 28mm tyres and mudguards! 🙂

yourguitarhero
    Free Member

There’s a review of Revolution Cross 0 on road.cc I think. £250 new

Garry_Lager

The FXE will be quite a change in ride – which can be a good thing. Those steel fixed gear bikes are all great – Langster, pompino, flyer etc, but they’re quite samey. I guess that’s not a bad thing in a commuter, but you could be on one for the rest of your life so a bit of variation is nice.

I just moved to a precursa from years on a pompino and appreciate the change. Suits my flat 5 mile blast of a commute.

TiRed

Paddy Wagon is a nicer ride than the Langster. The deep drop Tektro brakes will accomodate proper P35 mudguards. You’ll need a P clip or a seatpost adaptor clamp for a rack. The stock wheels on all these bikes are all far too heavy, and the Genesis is heavy full stop. PW geometry is a little more slack than it used to be, but is a lovely ride.

Obvious disclaimer: I own a highly modified PW (sub 8 kilos with guards and rack), a langster (the pooh brown one) and a Dolan Pre Cursa (undrilled FXE).

PrinceJohn

I absolutely love my genesis day one decade… Nicer I think than my old langster.. anything genesis is a win

tomaso
    Free Member

My Langster is an alloy frame carbon fork and has a similar head angle but slacker seat tube 72.5/73.5 vs 73/75 for the Dolan

notmyrealname
    Free Member

I went for a Paddy Wagon and it’s happily running 30mm tyres with SKS guards.
    I love the thing, great commuter bike, comfortable and fairly cheap. It’s not the lightest but I’m sure it’ll get lighter as things break and get swapped!

shermer75
    Free Member

The best single speed commuter I ever had was a Surly Steamroller. Light, fast, comfortable, lovely. Plenty of room for mudguards and 28mm tyres. Again, needs P-clips for pannier rack. In fact, it might need P-clips for mudguards! 🙂

Andy

The best single speed commuter I ever had was a Surly Steamroller as well 😀 . Rode really sweetly.

Thats compared to a Genesis Day one, Pinacle Arkose SS and a Cotic Escapade. The Escapade comes second, but because of the long and low geo I have to run it flat barred. Obv you would be different.

rp16v
    Free Member

Sorry to jump in on this but i have a 56cm langster frameset im looking to trade as i really should be on a 52/54cm
    looking to sell but idealy swap for correct size.

lunge

O-O Pompino?

epicyclo

Pompino
    Vastly under rated
    Does everything well
    You won’t cry if you get it stolen.

velocipede
    Free Member

Transition Rapture on Merlin….reduced from £1k to about £550….been thinking of one myself but got lured into an eBay bargain instead so I’ve passed on one!

https://www.merlincycles.com/transition-rapture-cyclocross-bike-2016-97529.html

n0b0dy0ftheg0at
    Free Member

Voodoo Marasa for £300

Singlespeed conversion kit, stainless chainring, singlespeed chain for £20 delivered from PX (possibly a tyre upgrade too while you are there, like the Voyager Hypers or maybe even the BSC Type 1s if the Marasa has clearance for 2.3″ tyres)

pictonroad

I loved my Flyer, was very upset when it got pinched.

shermer75
    Free Member

That transition rapture looks like a right bargain! 🙂

brooess
    Free Member

Condor Tempo worth a look. Pricey but beautiful to ride and all good quality components so not expensive in the long run.
    Have been riding mine several times a week for two years and only just had to replace chain and tyres. Other than brake blocks everything else is original parts.

flashes
    Free Member

Pompino and Steamroller, both fine rides. The more practical is the On One, although it was sold to fund the Steamroller, which is the road / tow path bike of choice…..

Prophet2
    Free Member

I had a Paddywaon for several years, over 7000 km commuting, loved it. However this year I bought a Dayone SS, it is a fantastic bike for commuting. I currently do a 27mile round trip, four days a week. The Dayone just eats up the mileage. Really fast on the flats and the downs. Not quite as nimble as the Paddywagon on the climbs. Extremely comfortable bike to ride. I have full length mudguards on the bike which I never had on the Padfywagon, it does make a huge difference in the crappy Edinburgh weather.

shermer75
    Free Member

This looks pretty good:

https://www.brothercycles.com/shop/allday/

Brother Cycles Allday, track-ish frame with braze-ons for mudguards

Viewing 22 posts - 1 through 22 (of 22 total)

The topic ‘Single speed commuter recommendations’ is closed to new replies.