• This topic has 35 replies, 26 voices, and was last updated 13 years ago by vd.
Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)
  • single speed
  • smartsi
    Free Member

I am thinking of going single speed is that a good idea or not ???.
    could people put some pro + cons please.

crotchrocket
    Free Member

troll?

epicyclo

The money you save on replacing flimsy drivetrain parts can be spent on beer…

roblerner
    Free Member
    singlespeedstu

Don't bother is shite and only for attentionwhores.

phildowling
    Free Member

Women will want you more. Fact

smartsi
    Free Member

whats it like for fitness and leg strength.

Ringo
    Free Member

You'll either get it or you won't 2 yrs ago I rode a 5" full sus had a go on a mates ss have since sold full sus and acquired a niner ss rigid and can't see me using much else for a while until I get my indi fab ss rigid 29r 😀

smartsi
    Free Member

if any one has any ss gear send me some pics please.

Ringo
    Free Member

I got a 16t cog spacers and a tensioner you can have there the same that Charlie the bikemonger sells you can have the lot for a tenner plenty of life left in them

jonb
    Free Member

It'll **** your knees, don't do it.

smartsi
    Free Member

it must be good for fitness and bike weight saving.

_tom_
    Free Member

It's a completely different feel and makes you more stubborn on climbs which you usually get up quicker as you have no other choice other than walking. People who say that you can singlespeed on a geared bike if you want are sort of missing the point, it just doesn't feel the same.

sc-xc

Pointless, screams 'look at me'…and means you are slower on the flat and the downs.

Do you have a black and white telly?

DT78
    Free Member

I like it for a change from my geared HT.

I mainly use it in winter

I wouldn't have my only bike as a singlespeed too limited. I need to road ride to get to trails and 32×18 is very very dull on the road!

It's for paupers who don't like derailleurs, but can't afford a Rohloff.

MarkyG82

'It 's for paupers who don't like derailleurs, but
    can 't afford a Rohloff .'

lol

igm

Gives me an excuse to walk up the climbs – well worth it.

vd

Fairly recent convert and ride it in preference to my Stumpjumper where I can. Rigid forks were ultimately too much for my aching joints however and I now have a front suspension fork. You will be slower on flat tarmac. Otherwise it makes you very stubborn, focuses you on the trail and is far more involving. Bike feels far more responsive. Particularly like it on tight up and down singletrack where I somehow always feel in the wrong gear on the full sus. On the ss the wrong gear is somehow always the right gear!? I had big fears for my weakly knees – so far unfounded

vd

PS Took the Stumpy out for the first time in a while this week………..whacked the rear mech, broke the chain and smashed the brain off the frame…………………

stills8tannorm
    Free Member

I was told that it'll make my nob bigger … or did they say it'll make you a bigger nob? Can't quite remember now.

takisawa2

Its for frigid winter night rides. Cant wait!!! 🙂

igm

smashed the brain off the frame

Yours or the shock's

crazy-legs

Off road never, can't stand it.
    On road, it makes a lot of sense, I often use a SS road bike for commuting and training rides. OK I can't take it up Winnats Pass (well, not without walking!) but in most general riding it's a great compromise. Even raced it once or rwice which was worth it just to see the expression on the faces of the other roadies. 🙂

bassspine
    Free Member

you'll either get it or not.

is true. One of my bikes is a singlespeed and it's really fantastic to ride when the mood takes.

I don't understand the hostility, I think it's the equivalent of loud homophobia covering deepseated gay fantasies.

you don't automatically get a funny beard, I think that actually comes from spending too much time in bike shops.

And the 'singlespeed **** your knees' thing is utter chadvalley twaddle.

tazzymtb

find a nice single speed rider who lives near you and borrow one of their toys (most have more than one) to see if you like it. It's just like riding a bike and it'll be as much fun as you make it.

Personally, I **** hate it! it's a stupid idea and totally pointless. Only luddites and anarchists would even consider it and only then to show how "wacky and non conformist they are"

igm

See you on Saturday then Tazzy – see if my four year old still recognises you

tazzymtb

LOL-

see if my four year old still recognises you

not me guvnor I blend into the background like a stealthy ninja

mollski
    Free Member

awesome ride great fittness and fun buy a cheap 29er ss it will put a smile on your face,no mess no fuss just ride it class

donsimon
    Free Member

Go for it, you'll ride differently and hills will never look the same again. 😀

igm

Seriously, you will learn a lot about climbing (and pain – lungs and thighs in my case rather than knees)

Big-Dave
    Free Member

Used to ride a single speed and loved it. Then one day I fitted gears and loved that as well.

I'm probably not helping the for or against argument am I?

rp16v
    Free Member

i changed to ss after finding how much a rib cage to the stem feels after a chain skippage while climbing out the saddle now the only gears il use are on my commuter whare its a 15 mile each way trip up hill and im sat down the whole time.
    but off rd il never look back i found its one less thing to think about when in the tight fast twisties its quiet compared to clattery mechs less wires less cost when replacing somthing just genraly nice.

my 2 pence worth… night night.

69er
    Free Member

You need one in the shed. Plus a proper mtb. Plus a road bike, fixie, track bike, bmx, jump bike, dh bike…..etc 😉

The ss gets ridden the most here.

AndrewBF
    Free Member

"It's for paupers who don't like derailleurs, but can't afford a Rohloff."

Nah, its for those who don't like derailleurs, but also have a Rohloff, yet sometimes just love the lightweight simplicity of a 'fun' bike that can be thrown about.

I'll be out on mine later today as the Rohloff has a rest.

I really, really, really CBA with derailleurs. I've tried and tried to keep them well tuned but they always get out of shape after a few rides. Too delicate. So a SS is a great option for just going out and riding.

vd

The shock – carbon mount snapped – although my other brain has flown off the bike from time to time.

Spent most of the ride wishing I had brought the ss – not JUST because of the breakages.

Done the beard phase – but you don't need a beard to be weird.

Viewing 36 posts - 1 through 36 (of 36 total)

The topic ‘single speed’ is closed to new replies.