Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • single ring chain device – options?
  • reggiegasket
    Free Member

currently running a SS XCR guide but fancy one with a bottom guide too, as in the SS Plasma for £50.

Any other Plasma-like guides out there?

Don’t really need/want a bash so looking for just a top-and-bottom guide setup, to run on ISCG-05 tabs (BFe frame).

gee
    Free Member

MRP Lopes? I know a couple of XC racers who use it and get on well with them.

GB

xiphon
    Free Member

I picked up an MRP G2 for about £30 second hand. Zero issues so far, and it gets used quite a bit (commute 100 miles per week on it)

matt007
    Free Member

Ive used MRP G2, E13 LG1, a couple of the top guide only type ones and bottom only roller ones etc. Now got a Straitline silent guide running 1×10 on my trail bike, would never use anything else again! light, no tiny wheels or bearings to gum up, as silent as the name says. Not cheap (they all seem over priced to me) but does the job perfectly.

mboy
    Free Member

reggiegasket, you just missed out by a week, I had an ISCG05 E13 LG1 that I sold for £32! Used it on my old BFe, it was an awesome chain device.

I’ve got an MRP Lopes on my current hardtail, seems to work very well if slightly flimsier than most. Would recommend the MRP Mini G2 or an E13 LG1 over it though probably if you can find either at a good price 2nd hand.

messiah
    Free Member

Chap I was riding with at the weekend has broken 3 bottom rollers from his MRP guide in as many weeks… it would seem the form of cheese this is made from is prone to shattering/crumbling?

I’m thinking the soon to be released Blackspire Der guide will be good since the top is like an MRP and the lower is like a silent guide.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

cheers all

I like the idea of the Straitline – silent and no jockeys to gum up etc. but CRC has them for £108 which is a whopping £58 more than the plasma, so I’d need to be really impressed…

Tea’s ready so I’ll pick this up later…

jam-bo

E13 xcx works for me.

carlphillips
    Free Member

I bought a bike with a starightline silentguide, miles better than anything else I have tried and totally silent too.
    I also run a pauls guide on my trail bike, thats ok and I’ve yet to drop a chain but quite fiddly to set up as my swingarm is just in the way of the allen bolt heads.

munrobiker
    Free Member

E13 XCX here too. I have had a Superstar one, but ye gods, the din it made. That and it drops the chain a lot more than the E13, and with the E13 you can pedal it back on which doesn’t work with the SS ones.

I’ve got an SS seat tube mount one on my race bike because I just could not afford the e13 alternative, but it’s awful- the bolts all keep coming loose and it can’t hold a chain for toffee.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

now here’s an idea…

I’ve got a couple of spare SS plastic top guides lying about, like the one on the SS XCR guide:

Now the top one obviously works at the top, but what about using one as the lower guide too?

If you look at the plasma back plate:

..the bottom guide fitting looks very similar to the top, so in theory you could run the same guide on the bottom as the top…?

No need for jockeys…

That would only cost me a backplate (£35)

Anyone tried this?

I feel a fettling coming on.

honourablegeorge

messiah – Member
    Chap I was riding with at the weekend has broken 3 bottom rollers from his MRP guide in as many weeks… it would seem the form of cheese this is made from is prone to shattering/crumbling?

Is he using a dodgy lube? The one I was using (purple extreme) has a solvent in it that wrecks the MRP plastic – check the MRP site, there’s a list of lubes not to use.

TroutWrestler
    Free Member

Reggie, you’ll need one of the guides to be ‘reversed’, if you know what I mean.

reggiegasket
    Free Member

ah yes, of course…. well spotted 😳

Next plan….

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘single ring chain device – options?’ is closed to new replies.