Viewing 39 posts - 41 through 79 (of 79 total)
  • Single file cyclists…. Facebook page
  • GrahamS

Are you deciding for her when it’s safe to overtake?

We should have done. Yes.

What’s wrong with that? Pretty much the official recommended procedure, no?

Lifer
    Free Member

Yep I will decide when it’s safe for someone to overtake me thank you very much, seeing as they might be held up for a few seconds but if they get it wrong I could be killed by a child’s face fired from a muslamic swan’s raygum.

Junkyard
    Free Member

Well she [and many other road users] seems incapable of doing this tbh.
    Are you claiming that her decision on when it was safe to overtake was a good one? Was it safe to pass when she did?
    Yes I am frankly as car drivers often do daft shit like that and you will be the one who gets hurt.

if they never did this I would never need to ride in a manner designed to ensure my safety as they would do this for me.

trail_rat
    Free Member

nope im for deciding when its safe for me to be overtaken – she can make her own assumption after that 😉

slowoldgit
    Free Member

Single-track road with passing places then?

GrahamS

nope im for deciding when its safe for me to be overtaken – she can make her own assumption after that

Yeah – that’s a better way of putting it t_r.

It’s not “deciding when it is safe” – it’s giving a clear signal when it is definitely not safe.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

I’ve not tried it but I hear they still can’t cure being dead, even if you go private. On this basis I will take an active role in staying safe and alive.

IanMunro
    Free Member

If there isn’t room to get past two cyclists riding abreast, then you shouldn’t be overtaking.

I disagree.
    Take my commute home, there are loads of places where a driver can overtake me and someone drafting me with complete safety. There’s far far fewer places where they could do it safely two abreast.

gwaelod
    Free Member

Car drivers always travel two abreast…even when there’s only one person in the car.

Why do they do that?

someone should set up a Motorists Single File Please facebook page….showing what our city streets would look like if cars were half the width they currently are.

IanMunro
    Free Member

Indeed.

trail_rat
    Free Member

bit like that ?

scotroutes

Yep. Roads aren’t exactly a standardised width.

Blackhound
    unklehomered
    Free Member

I prefer to be a non bloody cyclist, but I wear my blood with pride when it happens! 😉

GaryLake
    Free Member

Page has been pulled already 🙂

The comment I was unable to post would have read…

Yes, last year 122 cyclists were killed in road traffic accidents, most of those were individuals that were riding single file. What does that tell you? Riding in groups is safer, it might be an inconvenience, but it’s safer and 2 a breast is not the law. Stop trying to push your petty grievances as some ‘for the greater good’ safety thing.

No, I image they were deciding for her when it wasn’t safe to overtake – subtle differences…

unklehomered
    Free Member

awwww i was enjoying that… he’s already resort to internet shouting. 😈

unklehomered
    Free Member

There is a far more hardcore one though, “Cyclists who ride in grouds should stay in single file!!!! [sic]” with a very calming and tasteful profile pic.

scrap that, its quite dormant.

glupton1976
    Free Member

Hast the page been deleted or have they blocked me?

trail_rat
    Free Member

its deleted

ransos
    Free Member

I disagree.
    Take my commute home, there are loads of places where a driver can overtake me and someone drafting me with complete safety. There’s far far fewer places where they could do it safely two abreast.

trail_rat
    Free Member

if he rides on singletrack roads then its possible.

scotroutes

[b]Read.the.words. [/b]

If you had to leave the space shown in that photograph when overtaking a car then it would be impossible to overtake any vehicle on most single carriageway roads.

GrahamS

Page has been pulled already

The comment I was unable to post would have read…

Gah!!! I just spent 10 minutes making this…

mjsmke

Can i just point out that rule 66 says you should never ride more than 2 abreast……. This means 3 or above. So on a roads that are not narrow or busy 2 abreast is not against the law.

glupton1976
    Free Member

Nor is riding 4 abreast against the law. 😕

ransos
    Free Member

If you had to leave the space shown in that photograph when overtaking a car then it would be impossible to overtake any vehicle on most single carriageway roads.

The photograph – of a single carriageway road – shows that you are completely wrong.

trail_rat
    Free Member

27abreast is not against the law…..it would be stupid but not against the law.

lets face it – they dont have the same moans about tractors do they….. one of my best rides to work was the day i overtook a tractor and was chased to town by it – meant i had no mad cars trying to squeeze me off the road – they were all stuck behind the tractor 😉

trail_rat
    Free Member

2If you had to leave the space shown in that photograph when overtaking a car then it would be impossible to overtake any vehicle on most single carriageway roads.

The photograph – of a single carriageway road – shows that you are completely wrong. “

someones not reading it right. blinkers off ….

put a car where the bike is …. put the space between the car and the bike between a car and a car – the cars in the field somewhere….

the key is – cars are not affected by the draft suck of cars like a cyclist is – cars dont tend to wobble or deviate from their line much to avoid pot holes as they dont tend to get chucked over the bars by big holes in the road etc etc .

scotroutes

I really must mock up that photo to show another car

ransos
    Free Member

put a car where the bike is …. put the space between the car and the bike between a car and a car – the cars in the field somewhere….

The clue is in “at least”.

Anyway, I would agree that the wording could be clearer. But what is quite clear from the photo is that the car is giving the cyclist plenty of room, and would not be able to overtake if there were a vehicle approaching in the opposite direction. In other words, cyclists riding single-file would not present any additional overtaking opportunities compared with cycling two abreast.

trail_rat
    Free Member

never mind – we are clearly fighting the same war – just coming at it from different sides 😉

scotroutes

Anyway, I would agree that the wording could be clearer. But what is quite clear from the photo is that the car is giving the cyclist plenty of room, and would not be able to overtake if there were a vehicle approaching in the opposite direction. In other words, cyclists riding single-file would not present any additional overtaking opportunities compared with cycling two abreast.

[i]On that particular stretch of road.[/i] However, there are wider single carriageway roads where a solo cyclist and two vehicles could quite safely pass each other. It’s not always true, but it often is.

GrahamS

I think the vague wording around that Rule/photo is supposed to mean “as if you were passing a car whose left (not right) wheels are where the cyclist is”, and not “the space between you and a cyclist should be the same as you and that Audi you banged wing mirrors with the other day”.

But sadly it is a terribly worded rule.

It would be FAR clearer if they actually specified a minimum safe distance as they do in some other countries: http://www.3feetplease.com/advocacy

glupton1976
    Free Member

I always used to teach my punters to leave enough room when overtaking cyclists so that if the cyclist falls off sideways you dont run over their head.

ransos
    Free Member

On that particular stretch of road. However, there are wider single carriageway roads where a solo cyclist and two vehicles could quite safely pass each other. It’s not always true, but it often is.

Even if we accept your premise, we’re down to a small subset of road types (of the sort cyclists don’t tend to use much), some of the time. Doesn’t sound like something to get motorists worked up about, does it?

scotroutes

Really? I had a stretch like that on my daily commute and I’ve ridden hundreds of miles on similar roads.

ransos
    Free Member

Really? I had a stretch like that on my daily commute and I’ve ridden hundreds of miles on similar roads.

Perhaps that tells us it would be better to not draw a conclusion from a single example.

annebr
    Free Member

scotroutes – Member
    On that particular stretch of road. However, there are wider single carriageway roads where a solo cyclist and two vehicles could quite safely pass each other. It’s not always true, but it often is.

They also tend to be much higher speed limited roads. The kind I would choose to avoid simply because they may have enough space to get past but the speed and wind does not make me feel safe at all.

GrahamS
Viewing 39 posts - 41 through 79 (of 79 total)

The topic ‘Single file cyclists…. Facebook page’ is closed to new replies.