Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Single chainring question (1×9/1×10)
  • chakaping
    Free Member

I’ve removed the front shifter from my HT to enable fitting of baby carrier to seat tube.

All is going well, front mech left in place is keeping chain on fine and I’m getting on fine with 1×9.

Thinking about removing the now unused 44t and 22t chainrings – but will this have an effect on chain retention? If so, would a bashring assist with this?

Your experiences and advice gratefully received, ta.

nsynk
    Free Member

you will need some form of chain device to ensure the chain stays on.

Are you not having problems with your current set up?

nsynk
    Free Member

As you are using a front mech as a chain retention device you already get the principal. There are xc specific chain retention systems that replace the front mech or more DH orientated that include a taco bash guard

chakaping
    Free Member

The front mech is keeping chain on OK now.

Will it struggle to do so if I remove outer and inner chainrings though?

Inner I guess not, but am concerned about removing outer.

EDIT: Ah you saw that now, should have said also I’m not particularly keen to shell out for a new chain device.

rootes1

baby carrier to seat tube.

this for a commuter? none rough stuff riding?

then if so you will be fine without anything special..

nsynk
    Free Member

look on the e-13 website. They offer pretty good solutions. i use a lg1+ and highly recommend it

chakaping
    Free Member

this for a commuter? none rough stuff riding?

then if so you will be fine without anything special..

It’s my XC hardtail, Cove Handjob, and gets used for local woods – especially in winter.

poppa
    Free Member

look on the e-13 website. They offer pretty good solutions. i use a lg1+ and highly recommend it

Had to lol, ‘What DH chain device for baby-carrying?’!

smoggy
    Free Member

I use a front mech only for my commuter on a 44 tooth chain ring……..no problems so far!

🙂

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

with an unramped chainring and a shortened chain you might well not need any chain device. I have run bikes like this – mainly as commuters but no issues with chain dropping.

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Single chainring question (1×9/1×10)’ is closed to new replies.