Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Singapore – living and working
  • TheFlyingOx

We spent a long weekend there a couple of years ago and didn’t really see what all the fuss was about, but I woke up this morning to find that the opportunity to work over there for a couple of years has presented itself.

What’s it like over there for the expat and young family? Don’t need to concern ourselves with education for the little one, because we would be back in Scotland before he’s of school age, but just wondering how the non-uber wealthy found it over there. I expect rental prices to be sky-high, so am under no illusions that we’d be living in luxury. I should be doing a 6 day week, 8 weeks on with 3 weeks off. Coupling that with the likelihood of a tiny flat, are my wife and boy going to go stir crazy or are there things to do while I’m out grafting?

jambalaya
    Free Member

I lived there for 2 years and have been a frequent business visitor for the past 10

Exec Summary – you should probably go, its a good place to live and work with a young family. It’s great introduction to Asia, some unkindly call it “Asia Lite”, Asian flavour but safe and sophisticated.

Will your employer provide a housing allowance. Rental prices are less than London for example and you typically get a nice apartment with swimming pool (so great for kids). There is government website with actual rental contract price data – I will dig out link. I rented an 1800sq ft 3 bedroom apartment as coming from a house I though I’d get stir crazy. Now I am used to 1000sqft so would rent much smaller. Rental contracts are for 2 years so you have to pick wisely.
    Its great with going kids (schools are a problem cost and availability wise but that won’t apply to you)
    You can get a maid 6 days a week for £150 a month
    Taxes are low – top rate is 20% and that kicks in at £175k pa. You also pay not tax for a year or so, then you pay that tax due in arrears so it’s good for short term cash flow.
    Its a great place to explore Asia from, lots of budget flights and if you like beach resorts you’ll be in heaven. Culture in Cambodia and Vietnam. Wildlife in Malaysia and especially Borneo. Perth in Australia “just” 5hrs if you care.
    Public transport is excellent, especially MRT (“tube”) although some areas aren’t very well served.
    Excellent theatre/concert hall (expensive but some world class stuff on there over the year). The F1 night race is excellent, I am not an F1 fan but have now been to 3 including making a special trip back twice.
    Big expat community so wife/son can meet people, it is a bit transient as most people are on a similar rotation.

Negatives
    Booze is expensive £10 a pint in most places and alcohol tax just went up another 25% (I am guessing in response to the riot they had there a few months ago)
    It’s far from friends and family (but Skyoe etc makes this easier, Singapore Airlines is fabulous and makes the 14 hours go fairly painlessly)
    I hated the climate – far too hot to do anything physical, unless you want to road bike at 5am. Some people of course love the year round heat and sitting by beach/pool.
    Cars are expensive – treble the price here. In hindsight I should have bought one. Taxis are cheapish but not as cheap as they where.

TheFlyingOx

Cheers for the info. Doesn’t sound all that bad actually. As I said, we have visited briefly. Enjoyed Indonesia and Vietnam more, but then our money went a bit further in those places. We did the HHH thing all over as well, so I suppose that’s good for meeting folk.

Employment details are vague at the moment. Think I’ve got a choice of 8 week on/3 week off rotation and sort my own accommodation out (most on this contract will be flying in and out) or just two years straight of mon-fri 9-5 with housing allowance but no real time off to speak of. I’m more tempted by the 8/3 because it gives us time to explore, visit UK, etc.

ransos
    Free Member

I found the heat and humidity there oppressive, and bearing in mind that I’d spent 2 months in Thailand, Laos, Cambodia and Malaysia prior to travelling there, I was pretty well acclimatised. You may cope better than me though!

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

It’s great introduction to Asia, some unkindly call it “Asia Lite”, Asian flavour but safe and sophisticated.

I’ve heard similar. HK and SIN are like doing your A-levels in Asia. Shanghai is a degree. Rural china? Postgraduate doctorate. 🙂

I love SIN, spent a lot of good times there. Great food, great people, super efficient and super friendly, but for me, just a little bit too ‘clean’ and ordered. It just feels to me that it lacks a little spontaneity that you might find in other cities.

Also, re the weather, fully agreed. Hot. Damned hot. Sticky, too. The 0500 roadies on their super bling FredVagens used to brighten up an early taxi ride out to Changi for a flight, though!

jambalaya
    Free Member

OP here is the link to the rental contract data, you need to know the building you are interested in. That you can discover by searching other forums/etc. You’ll want to research where you think you might like to live, e.g. East Coast as it’s near Beach, Bukit Teema as it’s a bit greener, central/Orchard Rd because it’s close to offices, shops and expat clubs

Singapore Rental Data

I lived in Emerald Gardens (central and on Club St with bars/restaurants, not really family area) – a 2 bed there seems to be about £2k a month, 3 bed like I had is now £3 (nearly double what it was back in 2010 !)
    A friend has a nice place at the Imperial (central and quite pricey) – 2 bed about £3k, 3 bed about £4k-£5k
    You can certainly find cheaper nice places but these are two I know. I’ll ask another ex colleague who has two young boys where he lives, out in Bukit somewhere, quite green and family orientated.

My email is in profile if you want to get in touch, happy to do a Skype or similar sometime. Good Luck.

uphillcursing
    Free Member

Stuck there as I type, been here for a month and I am dying to get out. Think i might fly to KL for the weekend.just to change the scenery.
    Humidity is no that bad. What is really oppressive is the crush of humanity. Might be OK for those used to a major city but I can’t seem to get any relief.
    Some of the people at work love it and say they would find it hard to go home.IMHO they are welcome to it.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

I lived in Emerald Gardens

Right opposite Smith St and all that lovely food? Very central! I always used to stay just down the road in Tanjong Pagar. Can still smell the durian from the market stalls…!

jambalaya
    Free Member

Flying OX – my pleasure, be aware 8 weeks off the Island and your Mrs/son are in Singapore, that’s going to be tough on her in a new country. I hear what you are saying about travel. FYI I love Vietnam have been visiting regularly for over 10 years, Cambodia and Borneo are spectacular too and Burma is opening up (lots of friends have been recently). I’ve done the beach resorts in Thailand, Bali, Malaysia – they are not really for me although they are nice and you get good cheap deals as there are so many now. The reason I meant ion all of this is is it’s all on your door step, with 2-3 week tours you could explore Laos, Cambodia, Vietnam etc in depth. Trips to Oz are very doable too. NZ is further than you think – another 10 hours and Japan is 7.

TheFlyingOx

Don’t think I’ll be off the island as such. It’s FPSO commissioning. I was assuming the 8am-5pm work day meant I could go home at the end of each shift. Is that not the case?

jambalaya
    Free Member

@CFH – yes other side of that main road, the food court at end of club st was very good. Truth be known I spent a lot of time in French orientated bars/restaurants, e.g. playing “baby-foot” in Cafe des Sports and having a great laugh during rugby matches. Slight diversion but I was in there when England got drubbed by Germany in World Cup football, there isn’t really a German bar in Singapore so all the Germans where in there. When Lampard’s goal as ruled out one of them tapped me on the shoulder and said “Yes. We have seen that once before” – we laughed our heads off. I loved the fact it was 10 mins walk to work (Raffles Place), close to China town and with the historic shop houses. I don’t think I’ll ever live somewhere again which is a 15 min walk to a Grand Prix.

jambalaya
    Free Member

OP – well if it’s 8-5 that’s perfect, home before 6 each day for a swim with your son. Sunrise/sunset is 7/7 all year round as Singapore is only 100 miles from equator (hence consistency of climate)

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

there isn’t really a German bar in Singapore

There is now!

Brotzeit.

Raffles City branch is a great place for people watching…. Black Iridium best option in the sunlight! 8) Best stock up on food at Din Tai Fung downstairs before you do, though! Unless you like a bit of wurst!

jambalaya
    Free Member

@CFH that underground food court is fabulous, Roti Prata ..

jambalaya
    Free Member

OP the Expat Forum I used to use on linked below, normal amount of useful advice, nonsense and trolling … their property database/pictures etc is quite good

Singapore Expats

It’s FPSO commissioning.

Just googled that. Lot of Scots (and Brits, Aussies etc) out there working in oil/gas industry etc. Shipping is another big sector not surprisingly. Lotd of kindred spirits / employment opportunities I would imagine.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Jambalaya, it’s all about these for me when there;

That said, I do love a trip to Hometown on Smith Street as well! Such simple, cheap and lovely cooking!

peterfile
    Free Member

Lot of Scots (and Brits, Aussies etc)

🙂

winston_dog
    Free Member

I agree with uphillcursing. I can’t stand the place.

Spent 2 weeks there with work last year and was desperate to get home after one.

A hot, humid, overpriced, crowded shopping centre.

Although I do love some ex pats who love it out there.

richmars

Of zero use to the OP, but I lived there for a year when I was 10 (1971). It was a bit different to how it is now, Changi was a small village with a really busy high street, selling everything. As a boy growing up it was a great adventure, and I would love to go back, but I’m sure it will be a disappointment.

I say go for it.

al1982
    Free Member

the parents currently live in Singapore (have done since 2000). they love it.

cant really add more than Jambalya other than, ive done a fair bit of mountain biking in singapore and my parents still do most weekends. there are some good rides to be had, if you’re interested in riding out there i’d go with a group – try Singapore Bike Hash – it is really the best way to see new bits of singapore

jambalaya
    Free Member

@winston, I hate shopping too. Going to Orchard road isn’t compulsory.

@alt my bike left the apartment once, I was nearly knocked off twice by crazy drivers on the way to the LBS and that was it, I lost all enthusiasm. In fairness I hate traffic at the best of times, Singapore driving is appalling though.

@The Flying Ox – this is the report I used to use (wish they did this in the UK) – for the whole Island it’s rental data per square meter

Rental Data, qtrly report

winston_dog
    Free Member

Going to Orchard Road isn’t compulsory? What about the Towers? 🙂

al1982
    Free Member

ah the ‘four floors’ 😯

jambalaya
    Free Member

OP whilst I’m paying attention.

Most Condos will have an outdoor area / bomb shelter on newer ones (no I’m not joking). These are used for storage / maid’s quarters as the maids are live-in. This is included in apartment area.

Another condo I liked was Tanglin Park, very old by Singapore standards but low rise and lots of outdoor space. Apartments had nice large balconies and with a ceiling fan make pleasant places to spend the evening.

Happy researching.

nicko74

Still going strong? I sampled the four floors in 2004. Eye-opening is a fair description…

grueller
    Free Member

good bike shop near the man utd shop IIRC. Was a few years ago now.

MrsPoddy
    Free Member

Both my sisters currently live out there. They got a good packages which included, private healthcare, schools and flights back “home” every year. Most people take the kids back home for the 6 weeks they have off school in the summer so the place can feel deserted in June & July. My sisters all live in 1 condo 3 adults with 4 kids under the age of 7 + 2 nannies/housekeepers. The condo’s are great with swimming pools and depending where you are other play facilities. Usually only 1 person in the Singapore works as it is difficult to get work visas so the other person becomes a kept person great if you like shopping and lunches. Mind you my sister did help out at the schools but that would seem a bit weird if you don’t have kids at that school. The humidity and heat can be hard to deal with especially with small kids and if you like doing a lot of outside things. Schools start younger over there so don’t overlook education as most of the time you sign up for 3/4 years. Renting is very high as a lot of people are brought into Singapore. It is a very clean place as there are a lot of rules especially where car ownership is concerned. My family go to Malaysia just across the border for weekend breaks and golf. Location wise your seaside holidays are Indonesia and Malaysia a bit up from Spain. It is a very multicultural city so very welcoming and friendly. It is very built up but the metro system is easy to get around. The Singapore grand prix can be seen from most condo’s. It is an expensive place to live as the import tax is high. The only place I know where you select your items in a supermarket yourself then have them delivered home. As most people are only there for 3/4 years you can get to know people then they leave and you are back at square 1. It reminds me a bit of stepford wives. It isn’t for me but then we are all different. If you don’t try it you might always regret it – it would only be for x number of years.

TheFlyingOx

Blimey! I suppose me & Mrs Ox ought to sit down and discuss more than “honey, would you like to live in Singapore?”, but I think our minds are made up. It’s only a couple of years, so if it’s awful it’s not forever.

Cheers for all the input, especially jambalaya.

Gary_M
    Free Member

there isn’t really a German bar in Singapore

I was there in 2002 and went to a German brewery/bar, memories of it are a bit vague. Got a key ring with the name of the bar at home.

rogg
    Free Member

I go out there three or four times a year – always look forward to it, but by the end of the trip I’m always ready to come home. I think it’s the conformity of the place, it’s very, very conservative, very insular, with no edge to it at all. Almost everyone I met at a similar employment level to me seemed to be obsessed with money, consuming/shopping, and ‘getting on’, and pushing their kids to do the same. I’ve never met many creative types there.

jambalaya
    Free Member

It’s hard to imagine I missed a German bar (based on comments about ones existence) as I did quite a lot of research 😉

OP another thought is utility bills, as you’ll likely be running AC all day, if the mrs and junior are home your bills will be very high. Would guess double what you pay here in the uk for the winter months. You can try sleeping with AC off but it takes some getting used to. It’s one of the reasons the malls are so full of locals (many of whom don’t have AC at home due to cost). Good point above about health care from @MrsPoddy, you’ll need to pay for that.

jambalaya
    Free Member

@rogg, I hear what you say but there is certainly a more edgy and a creative side to be found its just hidden away and often not where the “angmo” tend to visit.

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Singapore – living and working’ is closed to new replies.