Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)
  • Simple but tasty curry recipes?
  • jamesgarbett
    Free Member

Ideally chicken based and without too many difficult to obtain ingredients

Not too hot but plenty of flavour

perchypanther
    Free Member

mark88

I use Tiny Takeaway, it’s cheating a little but saves you buying a load of spices you’ll only use once and is far tastier than anything I’d rustle up without direction.

gavtheoldskater
    Free Member

buy a tenner or so worths of mixed goodness from here, the packets can easily be halved as well. best quick and easy currys i have found.

http://www.chimansfoods.com/

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

-Tablespoon or 2 of curry paste, any really
    -half a block of creamed coconut, mixed with enough hot water to get it to sauce like consistency
    -a lime
    -coriander bunch

fry paste for a minute, add coco milk and lime and coriander.

Douse liberally over the chicken thighs you have just barbecued. and chuck on some more coriander and some sriracha sauce.

Yummmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmmm………………….

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Chicken, veg and one of these is my cba choice

lunge

One pan Rogan Josh. It works best with lamb IMO but I’ve done it with chicken and prawns and it works very well with them too/

thestabiliser
    Free Member

slice onions
    chop garlic chilli ginger
    soften n oil
    chuck incurry powder and spices of choice
    500ml stock
    lentils washed (gurt big sieve of ’em)
    chuck in pan
    leave simmering for 1/2 hour
    chuck in cauliflower
    cook for 5mins
    chuck in spinach
    cook for 2 mins
    juice of a lemon
    fistful of coriander
    Job jobbed

Marinate diced chicken in oil lemon juice curry powder coriander (mint)
    Grill on skewers

Take 4 cans of lager
    chuck in fridge till icy cold
    pour in glass as required

Serve

CheesybeanZ

^^^^ school boy error – beer in fridge first – then do the cooking.

Klunk
    Free Member

Chicken Jalfrazi

fry onions and garlic in a little oil with a touch of salt until soft
    add chicken, turmeric and chilli powder to taste fry for another 12 minutes on medium high heat.
    add a tin of tomatos simmer for another 20 minutes with lid, then 10 without to thicken.
    add chunk of grated ginger, 1 tsp garam masala, 1 tsp brown sugar, 1 tsp ground coriander, 1 tsp ground cumin and 1 tbsp ghee. cook for a further 10 mins add a squeeze of lemon juice and serve.

Malvern Rider
    Free Member

Brown chicken in some oil, pour a jar of Pataks balti sauce over it, few teaspoons of lazy garlic, add half a can of coconut cream, let it simmer for 30 mins. Cracking fodder. Add chilli flakes in too cook for extra heat if required. I find most Pataks sauces work well with some augmentation.

hugo
    Free Member

This is a easy and tasty butter chicken recipe.

It’s good because it uses ready mixed powders and pastes rather than 20 different ingredients. Ignore the slow cook part, I normally give it 20 mins once the chicken is in.

Rave reviews from anyone who’s had this.

mtbtom
    Free Member

Another recommendation for The Tiny Takeaway here.

http://www.thetinytakeaway.com/

Saves having big jars of open spices in the cupboard that always lose their flavour (just order 5 or 10 at a time). Ingredients are basically the same as when I make from scratch.

Also, not chicken but this is lovely, healthy and super quick:
    http://www.bbcgoodfood.com/recipes/chana-masala-spinach
    (it’s better on day two, so save some!)

turboferret

This is the curry we cook most frequently:

Pukka Yellow Curry

I find that upping the chilli count from 2 to 9 with seeds is about right 😀

Cheers, Rich

TheFlyingOx

This is my go-to quick curry recipe. Most things are in the cupboards all the time, only thing you might need and don’t have is one of those hand-held blender things.

2 large onions, finely chopped
    3 cloves of garlic, chopped
    400g tin of tomatoes
    1 tsp turmeric
    1 tsp chilli powder/flakes
    1/2 tsp ground cumin
    1/2 tsp ground coriander
    1/2 tsp ground cardamom
    1 pack of chicken breast, 1″ cubes
    1 large red pepper, deseeded & diced
    Handful of fresh coriander

Fry 80% of the onion and all the garlic until it starts to go soft. Add the spices/herbs (not the fresh coriander) and the tin of tomatoes. Bring to the boil then let cool. Once cool, blend until smooth.

Fry chicken in a new pan until starting to turn brown, add remaining 20% of onions and fry a bit more, then add the cooled sauce. On a low heat bring it up to just bubbling, then add the diced red pepper and simmer for about 10 minutes (until chicken is propery cooked through and sauce is thickened to your liking). Serve topped with fresh coriander.

I normally use chopped bird’s eye chillis to the initial onion/garlic mix rather than powdered chilli, and if I’m feeling daring I may add a bit of garam masala.

donks
    Free Member

Another vote for Jamie’s pukka yellow curry. It’s better than all the other ones of his Ive made without half of the faff. I now use chicken thigh fillets though to save having a plate of bones.

stevenmenmuir
    Free Member

Hmmm, curry. Definitely need to try out some of these.

joolsburger
    Free Member

I prefer Thai curry and often make a one pot soup/curry with noodles.

Fry garlic/chopped spring onion and ginger for a few minutes.
    Add two tablespoons of good quality thai curry paste of whatever type ( I like Mae Ploy Panang) and fry for another minute
    Add a can of coconut milk
    Add two cans of water and a stock cube or gel
    Add kaffir lime leaves and lemon grass
    Cook for 10 mins on a medium heat
    Add prawns or cod chunks or squid or all three or pre-cooked chicken or beef
    Add rice noodles
    Cook for a further 3 mins until noodles are done

Serve with chopped coriander.

ferrals
    Free Member

Going down the sauce route I can recommend the Madhuban sauces if you can get them. Bizarre coincidence, the Madhuban restaurant the sauces come from was one a favorite restaurant growing up, had forgotten all about it and then moved to Wales and found the local butchers sold their sauces 🙂

I cant comment on easy recipes, if we do them from scratch we go down the pestal and mortar route and i need a book to follow and a beer to drink as it takes ages!

chvck
    Free Member

I’m a big fan of making thai curry too. This recipe is my favourite, it’s how to make a paste and then a curry from that. Nothing outragously exotic in it either http://thaifood.about.com/od/thaicurrypasterecipes/r/redpaste.htm

cbmotorsport
    Free Member

I urge anyone who likes indian food and indian curries to buy this book. It’s great. Proper indian family food.

Made in India

monkfish
    Free Member

Not chicken but I’m sure you could substitute, v easy and tasy however.

curry recipe

PMK2060

Pataks jalfrezi curry paste is pretty good. Just add chicken, onions, peppers, garlic, ginger and tinned tomatoes (and chillies if you like a hot dish).

thecaptain
    Free Member

The key to a tasty home-made curry is to start with a load of grated (or very finely chopped) onion with a bit of garlic and ginger. Makes a properly tasty thick rich gravy (obv with whatever spices etc depending on type).

Alternatively, the curry house 5 mins walk away is fabulous. It’s a real perk of living here.

anagallis_arvensis

If you want simple
    Soften onions and garlick add curry powder and some chopped veg. Add water but not much, cover and steam veg. Add some tomato puree at the end to thicken

twonks

My home made recipe will make curry lovers weep, but if you want very simple and don’t like vegatables it doesn’t taste bad at all.

A pint of milk, 3 tables spoons of tika spice mix from schwartz and a squirt of tomato sauce all mixed in with enough chicken for two.

As long as the heat is kept relatively low and it is stirred often, it reduces down to quite a tasty sauce.

Add / remove the spice mix and or curry powder as needed.

mcj78
    Free Member

Top tip: ghee

That and double the spice content of whatever recipe you go for (although some of the above look rather fearsome)

J

mogrim

This is pretty simple, and the most exotic ingredient is cardamom which as a neatly self-contained pod keeps for ages and doesn’t lose its flavour so much as other spices:

http://www.redonline.co.uk/food/recipes/chicken-rezala

(It also uses saffron but I left it out the last time I made it, and couldn’t tell the difference. Likewise I don’t bother using green and black cardamom, just the green pods).

TheFlyingOx

This topic prompted me to do a curry tonight and half way through I remembered I missed the grated ginger off my list of ingredients above. About 1-1.5″ piece grated and in with the initial onion/garlic fry.

Cougar

My recipe, per person:

Onion
    Butter
    Whatever meat / veg you want, I usually use a pack of Quorn strips and a diced pepper
    Salt

Fry this lot off, then add:

Tin of chopped tomatoes
    1 tsp mild chilli powder
    1 tsp ground coriander
    1/2 tsp cumin
    1 tsp garam masala
    1/2 tsp garlic granules
    1/2 tsp onion granules
    1/2 tsp ginger
    1 tsp (unsmoked) paprika
    1 tsp turmeric
    Cayenne powder to taste
    Tomato / garlic / chilli purée to taste
    20g creamed coconut

Simmer till thickened. I made up a big pot of curry powder using whole spice jars instead of teaspoons, then just wang a couple of tablespoons’ worth into it.

ampthill

Booked marked for ideas

Thai green curry

fry chicken onions and green beans
    add chicken stock, coconut milk, lime juice, thai green curry paste and chicken stock

Where does one buy smaller containers of coconut milk in smaller amounts at reasonable prices

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Use a block of coconut cream and thin down with hot water.

thecaptain
    Free Member

Make a big pot and freeze the leftovers in suitable portion sizes. Then you’ve also got your next curry sorted!

teef
    Free Member

I took up somebodies suggestion and bought some spices from the Tiny Takeaway company and cooked up a Chicken Madras on Saturday – very tasty. Only trouble is that it’s now Tuesday and the kitchen still smells of curry – any suggestions of how to get rid of the smell without using a tin of air freshner?

jimster01

Chicken Jalfrezi

Oil
    Chicken cut into cubes
    Onion finely chopped
    2 Tbspn Garlic & Ginger paste
    2 Green Peppers deseeded and chopped
    1 Green Chilli finely sliced
    1 tsp ground cumin
    1 tsp ground coriander
    1/2 tsp ground turmeric
    1/2 tsp ground chilli
    400 g chopped toms
    125 ml hot water

1) Brown chicken and remove from pan.

2) Fry onions until softened

3) Add garlic & ginger paste, stir frequently for 2 minutes

4) Add Green peppers stirring occasionally for 2 minutes

5) Add sliced chilli, ground spices, tomatoes and water, bring to the boil, then add the chicken and simmer for 20 minutes or so uncovered until the chicken and green peppers are tender.

johndoh
    Free Member

I like this one – not at all authentic, but my wife prefers it to the authentic ones I pain over for hours…

Sweet and sour balti chicken

Viewing 39 posts - 1 through 39 (of 39 total)

The topic ‘Simple but tasty curry recipes?’ is closed to new replies.