• This topic has 29 replies, 23 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by TiRed.
Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)
  • SIM only contracts
  • jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

I’ll own my phone next month and been looking at SIM only contracts, just wondered if anyones had any experience of them?

Seen some great deals on uswitch. Anyone used iD? I’ve never heard of them but it looks like they’re Carphone Warehouse owned and use 3 network.

nickjb
    Free Member

Tried a few and they seem to work well. Much cheaper. No need to go on contract just go for payg and if doesn’t work out then switch. Giffgaff are pretty good in terms of account management. Almost everything can be done online, no need for call centres. Currently on three which is working out very cheap with good data. I did look at id as they had a roaming option but the numbers didn’t quite add up

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

What does roaming option mean mate?

nickjb
    Free Member

If you travel outside the UK the cost of calls and data goes up. Some suppliers are better than others, some have special deals or include certain things. If you don’t travel much it isn’t a big deal but if you do then you need to see if it’s worth paying a higher basic cost for cheaper roaming.

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

Ah right, cheers. I’m thinking that the giff gaff deal unlimited everything for £20 a month is a bargain.

Onzadog
    Free Member

I hope iD are good. I’ve just ditched a 2 year contract with Vodafone for a SIM only with iD. 500 minutes, 500 texts, 2gig of 4g data on the three network for £9.

sadexpunk

currently on £13 p/m with three, 600 mins, 4Gb data, unlimited texts and, a biggie for me, no roaming charges in certain countries, spain being one of them where ive just been. so all my texts and calls came out of my allowance.
    no idea if this offer is still available tho, im nearly a year into mine…..

wobbliscott
    Free Member

The good thing about GiffGaff is that they are transparent about your usage and each month will advise you of the optimal package for you, so if you’re paying for a package that doesn’t suit they’ll let you know. I started on their £10 a month goody bag option, and most months didn’t use all my data allowance, they suggested I drop onto their £7.50 option, which I did and I rarely break the data allowance and just top up my account when I do.

jonnytheleyther
    Free Member

Thats really good customer service, the more I read about giffgaff the more I fancy switching to them

Dickyboy

me & mrs dickyboy are on giffgaff with no problems, daughter has just switched to ID after doing research, looked good on paper only time will tell.

The good thing about GiffGaff is that they are transparent about your usage and each month will advise you of the optimal package for you,

I really must get round to changing mine, they tell me every month I am paying too much!

sadexpunk

yep, used to be on giffgaff too and thought their model and customer service were excellent. i only moved to three as the signal wasnt very good for me, too slow. whatever people say, i think piggybacking O2 gives them a cutdown signal. both my and the wife have same phone, i was on GG, she on O2 so apparently same signal in the same house, yet mine was far slower.

prawny

I’ve been on a three sim only plan gor nearly two years, paying £15 for unlimited data and someminutes and texts, don’t know what.

I don’t see the point in changing, there’s nothing anywhere near as good on the market now.

LadyGresley
    Free Member

Living out on the eastern edge of the country, my only option with a decent signal is EE. However, I cannot recommend them, I think they know they have the best signal in the majority of areas and therefore don’t need to give good customer service.

cheekymonkey888
    Free Member

this may of be some help. I havent needed to move contracts but there might be a decent dea in there.
    HotUKDeals sim page

DezB
    Free Member

I couldn’t get coverage in my house with any of them, so went with O2 as they had the TuGo app.
    Year down the line and they’ve upgraded signal so I now get 5bars/4g in house.
    Pleased with it, though roaming is an issue, using the phone on hol cost a fortune!
    £16 pm otherwise.

jimdubleyou

I’m on the same deal as Prawny. Unlimited 4g is the main thing, 200mins, 200 texts. I only really use the data – worth it for £15 a month

CountZero

I’ve just gone onto SIM-only today, paid off the rest of the phone contract to clear that, then changed the airtime to a SIM-only 4Gb, unlimited calls/text for £18. This is with O2, and it’s going to save me a fair bit each month.

Orange-Crush
    Free Member

I was happy with gift gaff until they put the rates up by 50% in order to charge the same for here and abroad – moved to Asda.

hjghg5
    Free Member

I am on 3 SIM only, no complaints. Paying £12.90 per month for unlimited 4g data and free roaming in most of the countries I visit. My deal is an old one so it’s a bit more expensive to sign up for the current deals, but I can’t fault it and will hang onto it for as long as I can!

labsey
    Free Member

Have used them as a bridge if there hasn’t been a phone I’ve fancied upgrading to. Mrs Labsey is currently on a SIM-only. Worked out the cost of buying the phone outright compared to contract and it worked out about £100 cheaper to go SIM-only.

Dibbs
    Free Member

Living out on the eastern edge of the country, my only option with a decent signal is EE. However, I cannot recommend them, I think they know they have the best signal in the majority of areas and therefore don’t need to give good customer service.

I changed from EE sim only to BT sim only earlier in the year, BT use the EE network and the cost dropped from £15 to £10 a month.

mrlugz
    Free Member

Another 3 user.

200 mins/texts – unlimited data – lots of european roaming included.

paying £18p/m as I only signed up this year.

properbikeco
    Free Member

bt mobile deals are good (especially after cashback) if you are a broadband customer

seosamh77
    Free Member

been on giffgaff for years, no problem at all tbh.

£15 a month.
    4 GB
    1000minutes
    Unlimited texts

plus if you are looking for a new phone, get the new moto g4, for 130 quid, it’s superb! 🙂

seosamh77
    Free Member

btw, the cheaper roaming charges are likely to be finite with this brexit patter eh? Guess those will go up at some point in the future..

mrlugz
    Free Member

seosamh77

/

I hope not 🙂 The 3 feel at home includes the US, so cant see brexit being a reason.

Fingers crossed anyway

Kuco

I use BT for £8 I get 2gb data, 500 minutes and unlimited text. Only really use the text and lucky if I use a 1g of data in the month and hardly use any of the minutes.

garyfisher
    Free Member

+1 Giffgaff. Also got the wife and kids on it as free calls and texts Giffgaff to Giffgaff as long as you top up at least £10 every 3 months.

breadcrumb

I’ve been using Virgin mobile for quite a while.

2500mins + 2500 08 numbers, unlimited texts and 2gb of data for a tenner (£8 for me because of an offer) on a 30 day contact.

I don’t think it costs much more for more data TBH.

They use EE’s network so pretty good round these parts.

Good customer service when I’ve rang up in the past too.

TiRed

I’ve been using Vodafone for years. Not had any problems. Don’t use the full data allowance, nor the phone calls. One benefit was that our conference calls are cheaper on an 020 number than 0800 (BT), so I call in on my mobile when I’m working at home.

Most of the family are also on sim only as phones get passed down the chain.

Viewing 30 posts - 1 through 30 (of 30 total)

The topic ‘SIM only contracts’ is closed to new replies.