Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Silly things folks say to you to justify to themselves their new purchase !
  • noltae
    Free Member

Riding buddy of mine sold me a Hope bb – rode twice – £20 because he wanted CK – he tried to make out he ‘Could really feel the difference’ when he put the power down and generally it was a much more “satisfying and smooth ride ‘ !

neilwheel
    Free Member

I’m not sure where the problem is?

cloudnine
    Free Member

Like spending £300 on a power lead for a stereo and being able to tell the difference in clarity.

ton

‘but love, a thousand pound bike, once a year is far cheaper than running a car for work’.

a line which cannot be argued against….. 😆

MoreCashThanDash

Agree with him and let me know when he does it again – email in profile

timc
    Free Member

neilwheel – Member
    I’m not sure where the problem is?

He never said there was a problem, just a funny / silly reason which he has told us! 😀

MoreCashThanDash

Ton – I think you’ll find it can be argued against vigorously. Never mind the facts.

neilwheel
    Free Member

Okay.

jam-bo

I audition parts for a while before I decide to keep them.

binners

But… but … but… its shinier!!!

cinnamon_girl

‘Cos I’m worth it’

😉

Jeez, if I hear that stoopid phrase one more time I’ll lamp the speaker. 👿

scaredypants

I almost only ever buy reduced stuff

Not really economically sound as it means I have a shitload of parts & kit lying around, and “I got it ded cheap” does start to sound lame after the first 30 times 😳

slimporcini
    Free Member

I’m with you scaredypants. The first thing i always say is how much something should’ve been to which she pretty much always replies “You do find the bargains, don’t you?”

brooess
    Free Member

I’m with you scaredypants. The first thing i always say is how much something should’ve been to which she pretty much always replies “You do find the bargains, don’t you?”

So you fall for the whole ‘was £100, now £60’ and claim you’ve saved £40 when a quick look at your credit card statement will tell you that, in fact, you’ve spent £60 🙂

unklehomered
    Free Member

For the road bike.

“It will make it easier to get about for those two days the Tour de France is here”

I’ll fall for anything me.

scaredypants

brooess – it’s all part of the shoe wars

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

my ck bb is a hell of a lot smoother than a hope bb I had before

am I your friend?

thestabiliser
    Free Member

it’s 28.4% more laterally stiff and 36.1% more vertically compliant

bensales
    Free Member

I’ve just spent £3500 because I was running down a canal towpath and thinking “I could put some CX tyres on my winter roadie, but a new mtb would be some much more comfortable”.

ampthill

To the OP that is priceless. I really don’t think in bikes it can be beaten

It leaves the stem having the right amount of flex trailing in it wake

I suppose I’ve converted my bike to rigid and now started a thread on how to stop my wrists hurting is the closest i can think of

In photography easily. 36 Mp but never actually printed larger than A4…

Back in the day a friend had to cut up his credit card to stop his up grade mania

tonyg2003

At the start of our Wednesday evening ride last week one of the guys turned up with a completely bling Blur LT carbon and started this long “justification speech”. After a few seconds we had to stop him…. “no need to justify for us” 🙂

ryan91
    Free Member

I seem to have to justify my own purchases to other folk when asked, annoying really because I’m pretty straight up whether I like something or not. I like to bring conversation when I feel something is a genuinely worthwhile upgrade (dropper post, 1×10+expander transmission recently) and would benefit them, which I thought was what friends did 😕 ?

slowoldman

“It’ll save money in the long run”.

Superficial
    Free Member

I like to bring conversation when I feel something is a genuinely worthwhile upgrade (dropper post, 1×10+expander transmission recently) and would benefit them, which I thought was what friends did ?

The thing about justifying purchases to oneself is that it works on many levels, some of which are subliminal. So just because your mate thinks, nay, truly believes, that his new product is worth the expense, doesn’t mean it actually is.

Making the assumption that I have the same potential for character flaws as anyone else, if I apply that logic in reverse, it means I myself am capable of spouting utter shite to even my closest friends. Unless you’re a bastion of mental fortitude, it also means you’re not immune to talking shit, and probably none of us are.

noltae
    Free Member

You heard the one about the guy with the new pedals? – 3mm thinner – ‘ they’ve virtually eliminated pedal strike !’

looneylunn
    Free Member

Cognitive dissonance

ryan91
    Free Member

Superficial, you make a good point.

I can’t help but feel that somebody feeling one has a silly opinion is an opinion in itself, and therefore with that logic applied surely just as culpable to being wrong?

As long as it is being presented as opinion rather than fact, and isn’t being forced upon me, then I’m happy to go along with it !

coatesy
    Free Member

Attempting to justify a £4k+ bike a few years back-“Oh, you really need to have full suspension where we ride.”, “where’s that then?”, “Around Castell Coch Woods.”, “Ahhh.”, wanders off reminiscing of many happy years of riding fully rigid bikes around there. If you want it, and can afford it, why not just buy it and be happy, that’s enough to justify it in itself.

noltae
    Free Member

If you justify your fancy new bike under the premise that you want it that’s not silly – it’s legitimate – But claiming some newfangled ride qualities just might be – But let’s not misconstrue ‘silly’ with wrong … Being silly with friends is a good thing !

burnsybhoy
    Free Member

“Gold Plated HDMI Cables”

mamadirt
    Free Member

jam bo – Member

I audition parts for a while before I decide to keep them.

Spot on 😆 . Currently auditioning 650b . . . watch this space 🙄 😉

ampthill

Bizarley cheap HDMI cable wreaked havoc in our house….

noltae
    Free Member

Can’t believe how good that tap water tasted the other day – pretty sure my new Ti bottle cage is earning its keep !

dude
    Free Member

Gold Plated HDMI Cables

How about gold plated fibre optic cables?

ThePinkster

If you want it, and can afford it, why not just buy it and be happy, that’s enough to justify it in itself.

The problem is that a lot of people feel the need to justify purchases (often to themselves as much as to others) precisely because they can’t afford it and have put yet another unnecessary purchase on the credit card.

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Silly things folks say to you to justify to themselves their new purchase !’ is closed to new replies.