Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)
  • Silicone Sealant Removal OMG!!!!!!! Help!
  • Skyliner
    Free Member

Renovating the bathroom and have spent 5hrs already just removing about 2 foot of silicone!! I’ve got meters still to go, is there anything other than knife, scraper and fingers I can use? Does the ‘silicone remover’ work well you can buy in the tubes? Help before I take the angle grinder to it!! 😆

MrNutt
    Free Member

petrol? colourful language?

Blazin-saddles
    Free Member

Mechanical removal is the only way with cured silicone I’m afraid. I use a combo of Stanley knife blade flat to tile and a razor sharp flat scraper to remove it, that and a large dose of elbow grease! Sorry.

AdamW
    Free Member

How about one of those razor holders that are used to clean ceramic hobs? That could make it a lot quicker.

wwaswas

the stanley knife blade holders they sell to clean paint off glass are good – use a new blade.

the silicone softner does work but if the sealant is think you need several goes to get through it.

joao3v16
    Free Member

These are very useful in the silicone removal process.

Although if you’re removing from around a plastic bath …

wwaswas

as long as you keep the blade at a good angle it won’t dig into a plastic bath but I’d practice on a bit no-one will see first…

Skyliner
    Free Member

Cheers! Off to Homebase to buy stanley window blade! If that doesnt work then ACME have 50% off TNT this week!! 😆

mrblobby
    Free Member

You can get removal gunk that you squeeze on and it softens it up. Can get it from B&Q. Makes it a bit easier but still a pain.

Rubber_Buccaneer

ACME have 50% off TNT this week

Link please….do they have any deals on rocket pants and roller skates 😀

maccruiskeen

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aBPrjgu6YG0[/video]

andydicko
    Free Member

Car Brake Cleaner does it!

Sidney
    Free Member

Sharp chisel? Seen it used to good effect.

konadad
    Free Member

perhaps silicon remover may help

screwfix silicon remover

Cougar

I always think Wile E Coyote gets a bum deal. Everyone remembers his failed science experiments, and forgets his incredible talent for painting realistic tunnels on rock faces.

Imabigkidnow
    Free Member

There’s a few things on Youtube about WD40 (maybe GT85 too?) seeming to weaken bonding quite a lot?

richmtb

GT85 FTW!!

I just had to do it myself at the weekend

use a knife / screwdriver / stanley blade to get most of it off then try GT85 and a scouring pad to remove the little bits left over.

GT85 is also brilliant at cleaning any little accidents you have when putting in the new sealant and is als the best suff I’ve found at getting it off you hands (if you daft enough not to be wearily nitrile gloves!)

ThePinkster

Once you’ve got it off wipe down all the surfaces with white malt vinegar before putting any more on. It performs miracles at cleaning the surfaces, getting rid of soap scum, etc, without risking any damage to any plastics, enamels or metal.

Cougar

white malt vinegar

Eh?

ahwiles
    Free Member

i tried all sorts of ‘products’ when i had to re-do my bath.

in the end i gave up with these – they’re all useless.

i found that scalpels work really well, the curved blades were particularly good at ‘scraping’ the silicone off.

it still takes time, but it’s a good wet-sunday-listening-to-the-radio job.

Muke
    Free Member
    ThePinkster

Cougar – Member

white malt vinegar

Eh?
    Yeah, it’s the clear stuff, not the brown stuff.

bikebouy
    Free Member

This, this is the only way.

Viewing 23 posts - 1 through 23 (of 23 total)

The topic ‘Silicone Sealant Removal OMG!!!!!!! Help!’ is closed to new replies.