• This topic has 65 replies, 36 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by atlaz.
Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)
  • Silent Witness – late starter…
  • unfitgeezer
    Free Member

…they’re excellent !

addicted to them on Netflix

oh and Emila Fox is very 53xy !

atlaz
    Free Member

Just dire and getting worse. I keep giving each new series a try and being monumentally disappointed with the quality of the writing and, 50% of the acting.

Of the regulars, they’re mostly good apart from the squinting, moody forensic Irish chap; he’s shit.

Cops fall into a number of predictable categories:
    1, Shouty east-end geeeeeeeezah
    2, Home-counties posh type
    3, Disgruntled lower rank who are smarter than their senior officers
    4, Complacent senior officer who wants the easiest result even if it means fitting someone up
    5, Overlooked officer trying to make a name for themselves
    6, The one who seems a bit lost

Sometimes they combine some of these. Either can be male or female.

Episodes work as such:
    1, Show crime
    2, Show team making blindingly obvious statements which probably seem smart if you’re writing the same show 4-5 times a year and are phoning it in
    3, Opening credits
    4, Introduce slightly-too-obvious potential perpetrator
    5, Spend the bulk of the first episode leading to a reveal (usually at the start of the 2nd episode) that the one identified in #4 is not the killer
    6, Member of the team drops some revelation on a relative of one of the victims as some sort of human interest that in real life would be so far from acceptable it’s untrue (i.e. recent episode, telling a bloke that his supposed nephew was really his son)
    7, Spend the second episode introducing the actual killer

Yes I’ve watched quite a few episodes. But I hate myself for it.

senorj

My missus loves it – atlaz is correct ,they are becoming rubbish. So much so, my missus watches them alone as I keep spoiling them for her.ha.

ElectricWorry
    Free Member

I get consistently surprised how involved the ” independent forensic consultant team” get with the general investigation including interviewing suspects and generally hanging out with the police while they are investigating… is this realistic?

I still watch it but it seems far removed from the realities of this sort of work and not sure I really enjoy it.

Endeavour on the other hand is excellent. Am I getting old?

stumpy01

Yep, as above. Used to be good & have been getting progressively rubbish-er and ridiculous-er…

The whole premise of them being on the pathology team doesn’t work, as they are running here, there and everywhere doing the job of the entire Police force.

I love Atlaz’s summation of the general plot…

But, yeah the Wife enjoys them & she controls the zapper to all intensive purposes….

perchypanther
    Free Member

It falls in to the same trap as all forensic type crime shows in that they rely heavily on what I call the “Shite-o-scope”

It works thusly…..

A horrible murder has been committed in bizarre and unusual circumstances and the only clue left by the cunning and forensicaly aware killer is a huge, steaming turd exactly in the center of the victims kitchen floor.
    A 20 minute, evidence gathering, shit scraping, centrifuging montage later………..they feed the processed residue of the jobby into the Shite-o-scope which has an improbably fancy and complicated 3d holographic user interface.

Beep.
    Whirr.
    Rapidly rising % complete bar.
    Pixellated photograph which gradually resolves………
    … to give a readout of the Killers DNA, (which they are instantly able to recognise just by looking at it on the screen), detailed personal information, current satellite tracked location and hitherto undiscovered Hi-Def CCTV footage of the crime itself.(from multiple camera angles and professionally edited)

CSI was the absolute worst for this.

atlaz
    Free Member

The whole premise of them being on the pathology team doesn’t work, as they are running here, there and everywhere doing the job of the entire Police force.

Frequently they actually catch the murderer whilst plod eventually catches up and arrests them.

paulneenan76
    Free Member

This latest batch has been tripe. The police are pathetic. The peripheral actors are dreadful.
    Still, Fox is fit.

stumpy01

perchypanther – Member

CSI was the absolute worst for this.

The worst….? Or the best? 😀

The way that could resolve a high def colour image of the perp’ from a 3×3 greyscale blob of pixels sure was impressive!!

tthew

I get consistently surprised how involved the ” independent forensic consultant team” get with the general investigation including interviewing suspects and generally hanging out with the police while they are investigating… is this realistic?

Well it looks like the budgets have gone back up again. After a few series of not doing so, next weeks finale is where they all jolly off overseas to interfere in another countries police investigations!

With regard to the peripheral actors being rubbish, what about the long term missing girls mum the previous week? When she was having a nightmare whilo in prison – astoundingly awful!

Simon_Semtex
    Free Member

Thought you guys might like this.

Really Interesting stuff…… Did you know that somewhere in London there is a dead pig dressed in human clothes!

The Infinite Monkey Cage:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b064yglg

bencooper
    Free Member

Really Interesting stuff…… Did you know that somewhere in London there is a dead pig dressed in human clothes!

Don’t tell our former PM…

CheesybeanZ

oh and Emila Fox is very 53xy !

Not for me , skeletal combined with shite overacting isn’t what I call sexy .

oliverracing

I’m not sure about this series, think a couple of the episodes have been good but this last one felt completely ripped from a CSI episode from probably 10 years ago (to the point where I knew what the next scene was) and the previous one the mum/dad’s acting was beyond cringe-worthy.

Shame as I really like it (MUCH prefer it compared to Sherlock) but it’s starting to end up more like the over stretched CSI/generic american crime series, where it used to be reasonably original.

Also anyone seen Delicious? Thought that was pretty ok even if it was only 4 episodes.

epicsteve
    Free Member

I’ve watched a little bit of it but it does seem pretty crap, with no real explanation of why the pathology team seem to be acting as police detectives most of the time.

freeagent
    Free Member

I’ve watched the last couple – my Mrs likes crime dramas and fantasy stuff, and compared to some of the other stuff she watches Silent Witness isn’t too bad.

Would take it over Game of Thrones, Sherlock (the recent series of that really was sh*t) or Vikings any day of the week.

DezB
    Free Member

Run of the mill Brit TV cop/murder stuff. Watchable if nothing else to do, but nothing to get excited about. Apart from them big ol’ brown doe eyes..

perchypanther
    Free Member

Apart from them big ol’ brown doe eyes..

Yeah, she’s the best one in it.

Gary_M
    Free Member

It really is unbelievable dross now, I did enjoy it in the past but now it’s just corny rubbish. Will the last one of this series see them off on the usual foreign jolly where one of the team is almost killed.

DezB
    Free Member

Yeah, she’s the best one in it

*swoon*

retro83
    Free Member

paulneenan76 – Member
    Still, Fox is fit.

Preferred her before she got really skinny. Like when she was in “Consuming Passion” 8)

hairylegs
    Free Member

Not a patch on the original 1996 series with Amanda Burton. Way, way beyond its shelf life now in my view, as is Sherlock, Luther, The Fall, to name a few.

However, enjoyed the latest Missing and looking forward to Broadchurch returning.

Given that, what are the STW collective watching/catching up on/boxsetting at the mo?

Really like the Scandi Dramas (The Bridge, Follow the Money etc) but think have pretty much exhausted that genre for the time being.

IHN

Given that, what are the STW collective watching/catching up on/boxsetting at the mo?

Not found anything decent for since last GoT series ended and we finished The Wire. Everything since has been ‘meh’ (to be fair, after The Wire, anything is going to be ‘meh’). To be honest, I’m not sure we’ve finished a single series of anything.

Saying that, Taboo is quite good fun, enjoying that.

IHN

I lie; the two series of Gomorrah were good, if unremittingly bleak.

perchypanther
    Free Member

AS part of the STW Chub Club, i,ve been watching box sets on my cross trainer.

Quite enjoyed Misfits on All4 and have just got bang up to date with No Offence.
    Like Shameless for cops.

IHN

Yeah, No Offence is also good fun.

DezB
    Free Member

Quarry. Watch Quarry you fools!

IHN

Is it a mining documentary?

DezB
    Free Member

There is a quarry in one episode if that’s what you’re after!

IHN

Ooh, lovely.

perchypanther
    Free Member

There is a quarry in one episode if that’s what you’re after!

Massive plot hole…..

kilo

hairylegs – Member

My standard recommendation is Love Hate. Irish version of the wire, fairly bleak but quite accurate regarding some of the gang activity in Ireland.

I thought Broadchurch, the second series, was pretty poor and unrealistic.

oldtalent
    Free Member

Yes the main Doris is mighty fine. Actually that applied for the one in no offense as well.

jimdubleyou

Just watched the West Wing again (took about 2 months). Quite appropriate given what’s been going on over the pond.

atlaz
    Free Member

Another vote for taboo. Also watched The Bureau and Braquo (French tv) as they were pretty good. Tried The Following but it started silly and got sillier.

No Offence is definitely a good one too. I liked Line of Duty for the 2 or 3 seasons so far.

senorj

One I’m watching is Bakstrom,on Netflix . Has a few amusing moments.
    Every time I see it I think of folk on here.ha.
    & Taboo plus 100.
    Versailles was pretty amazing too.

wrightyson
    Free Member

Met miss fox on a few occasions. She is tiny. Does a nice kiss on the cheek though 😉

anagallis_arvensis

My Mrs is in one of them…and no she doesnt play a corpse before you ask!!

tthew

My Mrs is in one of them…and no she doesnt play a corpse before you ask!!

She wasn’t the mother of the long time missing girl from the other week was she? 😆

anagallis_arvensis

No. As I recall she was a scene of crime officer accused of some wrong doing.

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 66 total)

The topic ‘Silent Witness – late starter…’ is closed to new replies.