Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)
  • Sign this petition if you don't want Scarlett Johansson in skin tight clothes.
  • jimjam
    Free Member

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mRc8uUJgaXM[/video]

Apparently angry geeks are outraged that Hollywood is whitewashing Asian characters.

It seems slightly ironic to me though, since it’s widely accepted that a lot of manga / anime artists consciously westernize their characters.

For anyone who cares to look the petition is here.

Cougar

That’s a bit odd.

The original film is set in Japan, and the major cast members are Japanese. So why would the American remake star a white actress?

Clue’s in the question really, no? It’s an American remake. How many Brits are in the American remake of The Office (as a random example)? Come to that, if Japan remade Doctor Who, anyone think their lead would be an angry Scotsman in his 50s?

DezB
    Free Member

If you don’t want to watch the film, er, well, keep watching your manga cartoon characters.
    You have a choice, nerds.

firestarter
    Free Member

All the manga drawings have big round eyes anyway 😉

Igmc

MrWoppit
    Free Member

Disappointing thread of the week.

cynic-al
    Free Member

For once Woppit talks sense.

jimjam
    Free Member

There are plenty of pictures of the aforementioned SJ online if you want to look.

MrWoppit
    Free Member

I nominate the opening scene of “Lost In Translation”.

legend
    Free Member

Just so we’re all clear who we’re talking about

derek_starship
    Free Member

legend – thanks for clearing that up.

I now have something else to clear up….

jimjam
    Free Member

For anyone not familiar with the anime, the character she has signed to play “Major Kusanagi” is a cyborg with adaptive camouflage skin ala Predator, meaning she gets her kit off to go kill people.

legend – Member

Just so we’re all clear who we’re talking about

Genuine phwoar .

thered

For anyone not familiar with the anime, the character she has signed to play “Major Kusanagi” is a cyborg with adaptive camouflage skin ala Predator, meaning she gets her kit off to go kill people.

OH MY!

jimjam
    Free Member

thered

OH MY!

I KNOW!! I’m as outraged as you. I hope you hurry up and sign that petition, lets put a stop to this madness.

jambalaya
    Free Member

Apparently angry geeks are outraged that Hollywood is whitewashing Asian characters.

Skin whitening products are huge sellers in Asia, many people, women especially, will not go out in the sun and/or cover up and use small sun shades to walk in the street.

stuey
    Free Member

Have we broke the manga head to breast size ratio yet?

DezB
    Free Member

I’m guessing none of you have seen “Under the Skin”. Nudey in that, she is. Botty, boobs, the lot. But you wouldn’t…

peteimpreza

No , but I have just ordered the blu-ray 😳

cliffyc
    Free Member

As hot as “The Passion Of Saint Tibulus”??. “Is it one of them nudie filims Father?”. (Father Ted ,1st episode) 🙂

j450n
    Free Member

Watched Under the Skin three times already, Rock solid every-time!

Wonder if she’s interested in novern mtb monkeys?

tmb467
    Free Member

hehe – all this on the same forum that reckoned Danny Mac sold out by riding at the Playboy Mansion

(to be fair, it was a bit weak….)

CountZero

I’ve read a lot of outraged comments by otaku on various threads about this, and they all seem completely oblivious to the fact that most manga/animé depict characters with round, western-style eyes.
    Stuey’s pics clearly show that Scarlett really doesn’t look too different to Major Kusenagi, apart from her hair.
    And as jimjam points out, Kusenagi is entirely synthetic, apart from her brain, which is contained in an armoured shell, hence the Animé/manga title Ghost In The Shell.
    I only hope they don’t cock it up, it could be a really good film; a live-action version of Akira was planned, set in New York, which completely ignored the entire back-story of the original, which centered on Tokyo being destroyed by a massive earthquake, replaced by NeoTokyo
    It’s been quietly abandoned, thankfully.

whatnobeer
    Free Member

I’m guessing none of you have seen “Under the Skin”. Nudey in that, she is. Botty, boobs, the lot. But you wouldn’t…

Creepy film. Well made, didn’t titillate at all but I’m not sure I’d watch it again.

DezB
    Free Member

Wonder if she’s interested in novern mtb monkeys?

Just go home with her, see what happens 🙂

Lifer
    Free Member

She’s entirely synthetic, the ‘Ghost’ refers to humanity/soul.

She doesn’t get her kit off to fight (in the series). All of section 9 including the Tachikoma have thermo-optical camouflage.

Idiots.

Live action film will be rubbish anyway, lots of the brilliance of the anime films and series is the philosophy of (cybernetic) implants and how much human remains when you’re connected to the net etc. So lots of talky/weird dream sequences. Will just be a boring action film that happens to share characters and is called the same thing IMO so who cares who plays Motoko.

DezB
    Free Member

You take it a bit seriously, don’t you lifer? 😉

jimjam
    Free Member

Lifer – Member

She’s entirely synthetic, the ‘Ghost’ refers to humanity/soul.

She doesn’t get her kit off to fight (in the series). All of section 9 including the Tachikoma have thermo-optical camouflage.

Idiots.

Okay so explain to me what’s happening here? (video contains some cartoon nudity and violence so probably nsfw).

[video]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GgmNkoOOBCk[/video]

Lifer
    Free Member

What’s happening there, is that’s the film.

It’s hardly ‘sexy’ EDIT – unless you’re turned on by mannequins.

TANK FIGHT!

It’s serious business DezB!

SAC and 2nd Gig are amazing series, highly recommended.

DezB
    Free Member

Mannequins you say. Cartoon mannequins?

*fires up the Chromecast*

😀

jimjam
    Free Member

Lifer

What’s happening there, is that’s the film.

Which is what we we’re discussing. The forthcoming American remake of the anime film “Ghost in the Shell”.

It’s hardly ‘sexy’ EDIT – unless you’re turned on by mannequins.

Easy there, you’re on thin ice. If Scarlett Johansson is staring in the remake that’ll be a walking talking mannequin that looks exactly like scarlett Johansson. Any director worth his salt will be trying to inject sexiness into such a scene, and judging by this thread most human males would probably agree.

Lifer
    Free Member

Meh, then as I said it’s just a boring action film called ghost in the shell. Doesn’t bother me who stars in it, but I don’t see the need for live action remakes when the animes will always surpass them. Just lazy, which is much more annoying than who plays what IMO.

Lifer
    Free Member

Anyway, the whole of Stand Alone Complex is on youtube:

Stand Alone Complex

kudos100
    Free Member

It will probably be complete pap anyway, so it might as well have some redeeming features.

They had better get the costume right though.

Scienceofficer
    Free Member

Stand alone complex was utterly ruined by those dumb ass child like chipmunk tanks.

legend
    Free Member

Couldn’t find this earlier, still topical:

Lifer
    Free Member

They did their best but I still enjoy it.

Tom_W1987
    Free Member

Clue’s in the question really, no? It’s an American remake. How many Brits are in the American remake of The Office (as a random example)? Come to that, if Japan remade Doctor Who, anyone think their lead would be an angry Scotsman in his 50s?

There are way more Asian Americans in the States than Brits, so your whole argument falls down considering that America isn’t really that white anymore. With non-hispanic whites only representing about 60 percent of the legal population whilst being massively over represented in Hollywood.

jimjam
    Free Member

Wait what?

j450n
    Free Member

That’s another Keyboard ruined!

jimjam
    Free Member

Wait….WHAT?

Northwind

Cougar – Moderator

Depends really. If they remade the office in japan, you’d expect it to be japanese people. But if it was still set in whereverthehellitwasset, it’d be weird if they were all japanese. As far as I can tell, the remake’s still set in Japan?

But, seeing as how the major wasn’t actually a human that’s probably all a bit beside the point. I find it distasteful that they’re replacing this cartoon robot with an actual person 😉

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 43 total)

The topic ‘Sign this petition if you don't want Scarlett Johansson in skin tight clothes.’ is closed to new replies.