Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Sightseeing London by Bke
  • pcb
    Free Member

Hi,

I’m after some advice about a days riding / sightseeing in London.

I’m thinking about riding from Hampton Court via the parks up to the Thames and following the river to the Thames Barrier. Then somehow getting accross the river and getting to the National portrait gallery. From there maybe Greenwich, after that I have no idea.

Also would like to stop along the way for coffee and food. Recommendations please.

Does anyone have any info on routes or local knowledge of where to ride?

Cheers

PCB

TheBrick
    Free Member

If you keep goign past the Thames barrier there is the woolwich free ferry or foot tunnel depending on which you preffer. Greenwhich would be on the way so better to do that first rather after the thames barrier

bikebouy
    Free Member

Hmmm.. Greenwich, not a fat lot to see there unless you like one park and a few museums about clocks and boats 😆 Also the best route is through the foot tunnel from Island Gardens (follow route from Canary Wharf south along the river) go into tunnel, pop out at the Cutty Sark, head South to the Park and ride around there for a bit.. But thats it. Honestly not a lot else there, I’d recommend returning back through the foot tunnel then head to Canary Wharf to see where all your hard earned gets frittered away (it’s actually really funky here) then head North to Victoria Park and the Olympic Stadium along the Lee Valley Canal. Once you’ve seen where your taxes have been spent head back into town via Regents Canal to Islington and then head to Regents Park past Camden Lock (watch your pockets) and maybe say Hi to the Lions at the Zoo on your way. Don’t be tempted to carry on as the canal ends up going through some odd places. Then from Regents Park head back into town passed the old BBC building and stopping off in Rapha for a coffee and cake and more, then head south to BuckPal to see Queeny, ride around the park a bit then head to the embankment and head back whence you came…

dknwhy

Audax do a 100km route which is supposed to be pretty nice. Route here

pcb
    Free Member

Cheers guys.

Bikebouy, that’s a great route never thought about taking a look at the Olympic Park.

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

Greenwich foot tunnel is pretty cool, and everybody just rides through it even tho it says not to..

If I were you id head back along Regents Canal, great ride.

From Greenwich take the foot tunnel, isle of dogs, Thames path round to Limehouse Basin where you pick up the canal then follow the path all the way back round to Regents Park. it goes in a nice arc through Victoria Park which is really nice, Haggerston, South Hackney, Islington (slight road detour through Angel) back on through Camden and Primrose Hill then your onto the path into the park through the London Zoo Avery. From there you can filter down through Hyde Park, go past the palace, Westminster n’that, and back onto the Thames path.

you could even detour along the Limehouse cut and follow the canal through Olympic village if you wanted even more mileage!

loads of pubs and cafes along the path too.

jaffejoffer
    Free Member

ffs. nice work bikebouy

bikebouy
    Free Member

Just a great route eh! You and me both.. 😀

I did a route yesterday that might be of interest, don’t do it very often but it’s kinda cool in it’s own way…expand later in this following para…

So come down the embankment, (well do you thing around Parliament SQ etc first yeah) (until I say, keep the Thames on your right) to Tower Hill (go behind it, but look at the Tower of London and Tower Bridge first)) find the CS3 heading to Canary Wharf.. (takes you past Shadwell) as you come to the end cross the main road at he lights near the Limehouse Link Tunnel, head through the gardens on the CS3 and pops out near shouty sweary cooks Pub (Gordon Ramsey) head East again past the Grapes Pub (Dickens wrote his books there, upstairs) Just down the road a little and turn right (don’t go straight on to CW) ride down Thames Path past the restaurants and continue over the sluice gates (large fences either side) continue down Thames Path past the gardens and large appt blocks on your left (wave, my appt’s here) look over towards Surrey Quays over the river, lots of old warehouses along here, stop for a second and turn around for the view of the City and the Shard (you need to do this) Carry on down the Thames Path until it stops, turn left to Arnhem Gardens Primary School and turn right along the road (past sailing club on your left) pick up 4th right turn to return to Thames Path and head all the way to Greenwich Foot Tunnel at Island Gardens. Through Tunnel. Greenwich. Do your thing around Greenwich but don’t go out of the park at the top (south, nor west) head back into the King and Queen park of the park (nearest the river) and take a look at the exceptional Renaissance architecture of these buildings… (if you have time go into the King Hall for a view of the paintings) Take the East exit and head along the Thames path again past the very old church on your right, can’t miss it (stop here read the plaque) keep heading along the path all the way to the Dome. You go through some very old industrial bits, don’t be put off because the Thames is on your left now and you have a great view of CW and such, carry on, carry on all the way to the Woolwich Ferry along the Thames Path. Go through the Woolwich Foot Tunnel (same as the Greenwich one, same year built, same architecture but this ones hardly used, ride through it) Pop out at Woolwich. Ok, the Thames Path here is a little dodgy but you are looking for the CS1 (signposted but keep your eyes open) Aim towards the Thames which should be right in front of you. Go past the huge Tate & Lyle Sugar refinery (take a deep breath, it stinks of syrup) Just look around this area for a little while, take it all in (you’ll see what I mean later on in the journey) Head to the Docklands Airport and Excel. Head over the Dock to Excel and pick up the CS13 along Excel towards the West end of the Dock where the Emirates Zip Line is. Stop for coffee here and take this all in (the regeneration and buildings)
    Continue back towards Canary Wharf heading West along CS13 (I think it is but there are a few CS’s that cross here but head along the main route alongside the A13 back to CW) Pop out at Billingsgate Fish market right next the Barclays World HQ and CW. Head into CW, ride around it, take it all in) Now head back out of CW along the CS3 that you came off earlier in the day BUT as you get to Gordons Pub on the bridge turn around a little and take the left turn into Limehouse Basin and take the RIGHT fork in the canal, you are now on the Lee Valley Canal Towpath. Take this along to the Olympic Park where you get off and ride around it, do you thing here. Come back to the Path on the canal and head north a little until you see the signs for Victoria Park and Regents Canal, take this route (it’s well signposted but I can’t remember the CS name) Ride around Vicky Park a bit then pick up Regents canal and as mentioned above take this all the way to Regents Park and London Zoo. I doubt you’ll have time but you may want to carry on here (it’s ok and goes past some really nice bits but you have to go past Kings Cross area first then you are heading out of Town towards Notting Hill) I’d suggest heading South once in Regents Park, ride around it first (see what all the fuss is about) then head direct south through the large black gates (as you ride around RP you will filter through traffic lights and such on the same road around BUT there is only one T junction, it’s this you need to turn right on to the large black gates) You are now crossing the A4 in/out of Town and you’ll see signs for Euston going left, don’t go left go straight over and into the a lovely victorian arch, take the next left. You are now on the main drag back into Town past the BBC building on your left, then Regent St starts and you are in the thick of it. If(IF) you want to stop at Rapha it’s in Soho on Brewer St (head all the way down Regents St and as the road bares left there is a left turn, take that Rapha on the right (sells great coffee and food, does a bit of clothing too) So now you’ve stopped and seen loads of London, reflect at the disparate views you have seen. Woolwich and it’s tenements, City Airport in its own enclave, Excel and it prefab buildings, CW and it’s mental moneyness, the Thames from both sides, views a plenty, tunnels a plenty, Greenwich, Lee Valley Canal and it’s urban vibe, Vicky Park in the middle of Hoxton, Regents canal and it’s very different vibe to Lee Valley, Regents Park and it’s splendor, the center of Town and it’s mentalness.

Watch out for Addison Lee Taxis (large Ford people carriers) Busses are generally good, shitty little cars will pull out on you whilst looking directly at you, big black limo’s and S’Class Mercs will want your hide and couldn’t care less, other cyclists will cut you up, jaywalkers will cross any road, anytime.

HTH’s

mikeys

If you’re at the Olympic park you might even be able to book in for an hours session at the velodrome!

shermer75
    Free Member

If you’re at the Olympic park you might even be able to book in for an hours session at the velodrome!

DEFINITELY worth looking into doing this!!!! 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Sightseeing London by Bke’ is closed to new replies.