Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Siezed seatpost
  • tkirkus
    Free Member

Hi there.
    My carbon seatpost is stuck fast in my aluminium frame. It’s on an indoor bike and hasn’t been moved for ages. Any ideas?
    Many thanks.
    Tim
    Pure Mountains

tbark22
    Free Member

If its definitely the way you describe, with the frame being aluminium, then heat it up(the part of the frame where the post is in) with a hairdryer or better still a heat gun. Should make it a bit easier to get out. You can get it quite hot aswell.

tkirkus
    Free Member

Great. I’ll try that thanks.

nedrapier

I’d go for boiling water rather than hot air. Hairdryer didn’t get hot enough when I had to do this, and heat gun might damage the paint.

You might want to try penetrating oil. Or removing the cranks and BB, upending the bike and filling the seat-tube with coca cola overnight(other brands are available). I tried this, didn’t solve the problem, but I don’t know whether or not it made the yanking and twisting any easier.

wwaswas

I’m quite impressed with the signature/link fail 😉

nedrapier

Eventual method was:

– 5 seconds dribbling boiling water round the top of the seat-tube, Don’t use too much water, you might be doing this quite a few times.

– from the left hand side of the bike, stand on your right foot, put left foot in downtube/seatsube junction, left hand under the saddle nose like you’re about to do a bicep curl, right hand under the back of the saddle

– yank up and twist clockwise at the same time, I was using my left more for pulling up, and my right more for twisting – I did 2 or three jerks to get a quarter turn, then –

– twist saddle back to nose forward,

– repeat

– more water from the kettle when it gets trickier, (every 2 or 3 repeats)

It took me about 45 minutes, left me with quite a few blisters on my hands, but I got the ************ out.

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Siezed seatpost’ is closed to new replies.