Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)
  • Side effects of hayfever tables – how do i speed up getting rid of these?
  • rob-jackson
    Free Member

Taking cetirizin (generic hayfever tablets) which list side effects of dry mouth, dizziness, lethargy, and shortness of breath.

I am taking them as loratadine does not touch my symptoms 🙁

Today i had all on to keep my eyes open (had to hold the lids up) and kept drifting off in a meeting (dreaming with my eyes open). Feel like i can’t lift my arms or legs up, dead thirsty etc. Happens each year 🙁

I am stopping taking them today – is there anyway to get rid of these symptoms any quicker?

sas
    Free Member

You could try a spray, e.g. Beconase (there’s a generic version available). I’ve always found they work better than any tablets I’ve tried, and no side effects. Everyone’s different though.

Cubed
    Free Member

Go see your GP – or if your surgery has a respiratory nurse they can be prescribe much better stuff. I take fexofenadine and rinatec spray – works much better than otc junk.

meehaja
    Free Member

2nd for fexafenadine, with occasional loratadine when the fexafenadine wears off. Nasal sprays are good unless your nose is blocked, eye drops are nice too!

Andituk
    Free Member

Tried Benadryl (not the one a day ones, they’re Cetirizine, the regular 8 hour ones)? They work much better than others for me and don’t seem to give me any drowsiness.

rob-jackson
    Free Member

i mean get rid of the symptoms brought on by the drugs not gayfever

davski
    Free Member

heard on the radio the other week that if you eat honey from local bees it helps you become immune to the pollen which can help, sounds to good to be true but suppose it would be worth a try…

rob-jackson
    Free Member

IT IS NOT THE HAYFEVER I AM BOTHERED ABOUT ITS THE EFFECT OF THE DRUGS

john_drummer
    Free Member

I’d expect 24-72 hours but I’m no expert.

normally I get by fine with just Beconase, but this year the hayfever triggered asthma for the first time (I’m 46 ffs); doctor suggested cetirizine & it works fine for me with no side effects

mosschops
    Free Member

hi there

OK side effects for loratidine and ceterizine can include lethargy and drowsiness dry mouth – to be honest the side effects should stop once the drug is metabolised and excreted – so I’d say 24 hours

the shortness of breath is more concerning – and if this is linked to the drug I’d definitely steer clear of any antihistamine in the future

In terms of getting rid of side effects – ‘fraid there’s not going to be any way to make that happen any quicker

One thing to note you may actually be getting a combination of drug side effects and breakthrough hayfever symptoms

Those that have suggested steroid nasal sprays, even though not answering your question may actually be giving you good advice – alternative to antihistamine and usually no drowsiness or lethargy (not side effect free though) Need to be used regularly to work to best effect rather than just taken when you have symptoms

Just a bit worried about the SoB though – do have asthma or other breathing problem/condition – may be an exacerbation of that or if this is just happening during hayfever season you may be experiencing more severe allergic reaction – trip to the GP wouldn’t hurt

MC

peterfile
    Free Member

IT IS NOT THE HAYFEVER I AM BOTHERED ABOUT ITS THE EFFECT OF THE DRUGS

STOP TAKING THE DRUG CAUSING YOU UNWANTED AND POTENTIALLY DANGEROUS SIDE EFFECTS???!!!

SWITCH TO ANOTHER DRUG WITH A DIFFERENT ACTIVE INGREDIENT???!!!!

MAYBE EVEN SPEAK TO YOUR DOCTOR RATHER THAN A BUNCH OF STRANGERS ON AN INTERNET FORUM FOCUSING ON CYCLING?

happy to help 😆

abennell
    Free Member

At least you found the capslock button at the end of your post peterfile!!!

May I be the first to say…..

MTFU!

😉

Viewing 13 posts - 1 through 13 (of 13 total)

The topic ‘Side effects of hayfever tables – how do i speed up getting rid of these?’ is closed to new replies.