Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • sid spacer querie
  • trail_rat
    Free Member

got 09 sids – was under the impression that they were set at 80mm – last night i found the manual complete with spacer.

Now i thought that (and according to what i read on the manual and based on previous work with RS forks ) Spacer in hand – forks at max travel.

Spacer in fork – travel reduced.

it is however possible that i have just ended up with 2 spacers.

assuming i need to remove spacers – has anyone found a guide for this . checked SRAM site both user tech and dealer tech – nothing for 09 sids.

Seems i need a special deep drive thinwall socket to remove the foot nuts and another tool to remove the cartridge to get at it – based on hearsay from mates who have em but resorted to sending to tim flooks.

njee20
    Free Member

Spacer in hand = max travel.

The only way you'll ever get 100mm is to take all the air out the fork (particularly negative), then compress fully. With the fork set up you'll only ever likely achieve 80mm, which is presumably why you're thinking you've got a spacer in there?

trail_rat
    Free Member

see nick that was my thinking so i took all air out … and compressed there is 85mm at max extension and 5mm at the top when fully compressed ….
    although this is bottom out bumper as it can be squished – i think i need to investigate as i think i have maybe got a spacer in the fork and a spacer in hand ….

and thanks boardin bob i missed that when i looked – all i could find was their manual !

njee20
    Free Member

Of course it's possibly Terry, but I've never ever seen it happen. Tim Flooks used to swap the MC damper to the LH leg in order to allow the fork to achieve full travel.

trail_rat
    Free Member

interesting nick ….

dont feel the need for 100mm but would like my fork to be "longer" to give me a slacker h/a due to the angle of attack into bumps etc being a bit to steep and jarring my wrists ….

Stu

Terry, from your photo (though not the best angle) you can only see the unshaded sag marking.

If you had the forks set to 100mm you should be able to see the black filled sag marking like this:

So you have a spacer in the fork and one in your hand I reckon.

trail_rat
    Free Member

this is what i thought – i did perhaps think that id inadvertantly filled the chambers in the wrong order till i checked this morning though … but i hadnt …

they were supposed to be set at 80 so i have no idea why i have a spacer in the manual bag also ….last night was the first time i opened the manual bag so i know its not from previous forks or another bike …

NM ill just have to do the switch my self , they look liek they will slacken my headangle nicely at 100mm …

Stu

They probably just give out the same bag for all the forks.

njee20
    Free Member

I need to read posts more carefully, I didn't realise you'd actually ordered an 80mm travel fork. I'd assumed you were wondering why your 100mm travel fork was only achieving 80mm.

In that case, I assume that, as you've identified, you probably have another spacer in the fork still!

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘sid spacer querie’ is closed to new replies.