Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Sick pay
  • orangewinger
    Free Member

I’ve just got through a contract for a new job and it all looks fine apart from the 20 days a year sick pay. I currently get 3 months full pay and 3 months half pay, so this is a big change. Is this sort of thing the norm these days (I’ve been in my current job for about 12 years)?

Drac

It’s not unusual and some don’t even get 20 days.

jamesgarbett
    Free Member

I’ve seen as little as 5 days full pay and as much as 12 months

I guess it depends on the other benefits and how much you want the job

If you aren’t typically off sick very much then it may be a non issue although I appreciate illness/accident comes without warning

craigxxl
    Free Member

3 months full and 3 at half is very generous, I assume you are going from public sector to private.

20 days in the private sector is still very generous, most will state at managers discretion and only provide statutory sick pay.

stumpyjon

It would ring alarm bells with me. Any business that manages absence through pay is getting it wrong, sick pay is most important once in awhile when you get seriously ill, 20 days is not a long time. Ours is currently 10 days full pay with 2 months half pay, we’re trying to improve it.

tomhoward

most will state at managers discretion and only provide statutory sick pay.

Yep, that’s what we get, I had 2.5 weeks off last year as my eyes stopped working for a bit, they wouldn’t tell me what I was or wasn’t getting (hadn’t had a single day in the previous 8 years) save for ssp. Got full pay, but they won’t put in writing what you’d get as it means people can (and, believe me, would) play the system to get extra paid hols

doris5000

3 months full and 3 at half is very generous, I assume you are going from public sector to private.

20 days in the private sector is still very generous, most will state at managers discretion and only provide statutory sick pay.

^^ very much this – I am public sector and my wife is private sector. She isn’t guaranteed a single day’s sick pay, so there is a splendid financial incentive for her to come into work with flu and spread it to everyone else. Which is what happens. One colleague had to go into hospital (for an operation, not flu) and still only got statutory 😐

orangewinger
    Free Member

Both are private, but although the role is virtually the same the industries of the businesses are different which probably explains the reasoning.

edlong
    Free Member

Any business that manages absence through pay is getting it wrong,

On the other hand, where we are (more generous than 20 days) the number of people who are off sick for the exact period they get full pay and then recover and come back to work exactly (to the day) when their pay would go down / stop is notable.

Drac

Edlong that’s very cynical I’m sure it’s pure coincidence and stumpyjon’s fluffy slippers management is the best answer.

franksinatra

We see this a lot. It is amazing the number of people who suddenly find their stress and anxiety improves the day they are due to drop to 1/2 pay

km79
    Free Member

Mines is 6 months full pay, 6 months half pay. Never had to use it but nice knowing it is there. Doesn’t seem to be any obvious missue of it by others either. All the long term sick people I know have been off with cancer or heart issues as opposed to ‘bad backs’ and ‘anxiety’.

lovewookie

We see this a lot. It is amazing the number of people who suddenly find their stress and anxiety improves the day they are due to drop to 1/2 pay

is this cause folk are lying, or that they are unable to afford a drop in wage and are forced to come back to work too soon?

franksinatra

is this cause folk are lying, or that they are unable to afford a drop in wage and are forced to come back to work too soon?

You are right to ask. I suspect it is both.

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Sick pay’ is closed to new replies.