Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Sick bikes – Gnarpoon
  • pc2017
    Free Member

I know their other frame has been covered but I just seen this on Dirt.

That pivot is ermmm… Interesting!

upload widget

Rubber_Buccaneer

It’s a bottom bracket. Very practical (if not lightweight) idea

honourablegeorge

Would have thought the bulk of a BB would make life tricky in terms of clearance – not much room for the crank to pass by the swingarm.

Being able to just unscrew your main picot and whack in a replacement is a nice idea though, agree it’s not a light solution

letmetalktomark

I’m guessing though that “light” isn’t really a consideration.

I’m all for seeing parts reused or double used – ease of servicing is a big plus point for me plus its also an opportunity for some (more) anodised bling ……..

burchill
    Free Member

honourablegeorge – Member
    Would have thought the bulk of a BB would make life tricky in terms of clearance – not much room for the crank to pass by the swingarm.

Surely they’d be plenty of clearance? They won’t make the pivot shell as wide as the BB shell.

honourablegeorge

I’m sure they can make it clear, but still not a lot of space in there, and a BB takes up a fair chunk of it. Depends on the shape and thichness of the chainstay.

breadcrumb

When daydreaming of cobbling a full suspension frame together I’ve thought about using a headset as the main pivot.

pictonroad

Bloody good idea that. 8)

IHN

Gt did the same thing (or similar) with some later model I-Drives, didn’t they?

joshvegas
    Free Member

Push fit would allow geometry adjustment and a narrower stance.

The creaking though THE CREAKING

chakaping
    Free Member

Looks quite a short stroke shock.

karlsbug
    Free Member

I’d like to see a square taper BB in there, ha ha.

daern
    Free Member

I admire them for making it, but the problem is that BB bearings have different requirements to pivot bearings. BBs are designed to rotate, but pivots typically have a tiny angle of motion, as well as a lot more load on them. This is why many bikes now use angular contact bearings for main (load bearing) pivots as well as for headsets, where rotation is less important than load bearing.

Still, interesting – would love to see the complete bike…

TheOtherJamie
    Free Member

Gt did the same thing (or similar) with some later model I-Drives, didn’t they?

Santa Cruz definitely did with the later Bullit

honourablegeorge

Wow – a Saint front mech. Those were the days, eh?

PimpmasterJazz
    Free Member

I admire them for making it, but the problem is that BB bearings have different requirements to pivot bearings. BBs are designed to rotate, but pivots typically have a tiny angle of motion, as well as a lot more load on them. This is why many bikes now use angular contact bearings for main (load bearing) pivots as well as for headsets, where rotation is less important than load bearing.

Still, interesting – would love to see the complete bike…

This is pretty much what I was trying to write earlier.

Definitely interesting. Love the thinking.

pc2017
    Free Member

I can see the reason for doing it however it’s quite an outdated thing to do now & unless its incorporated in to the frame nicely such as the Bullit above it can look a bit out of place and ugly.

Fair play to them for giving it a shot though but I think they need to stick to one job at a time, their hardtail doesn’t get much interest now. Is that actually for sale or on the back burner whilst they proceed with this and the other carbon bike their planning already!

Northwind

honourablegeorge – Member

Wow – a Saint front mech. Those were the days, eh?

Nevegal DHs!

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Sick bikes – Gnarpoon’ is closed to new replies.