Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)
  • Sibling's Sub £500 bike project- Recommended Brakes?
  • chrisjnr
    Free Member

I have been asked by my brother to build a bike for him, he’s already bought a frame AT THE BARGAIN PRICE OF £74.99, and would like me to buy and fit the rest of the parts. Could you recommend me or point me in the right direction for a relatively cheap yet effective set of hydraulic disk brakes?
    Also suggestions for a decent set of forks would also be welcome 😀
    Cheers

xiphon
    Free Member

Juicy 3s are a good buy

sambob
    Free Member

Tektro aurigas are surprisingly powerful and reliable.

z1ppy

Hayes, fully repairable & parts are available unlike numerous our brands, though avoid old corroded HFX-9’s (too expensive to repair).
    Not a subtle brake, but solid performer.

EDIT: Didn’t see the fork bit 1st time… 2005 onwards Reba’s for less than £100, with a few scratches will be fine. Again “older” Marzocchi MX (not MZ) 2003/4 onwards should be available for less than £100 (£50 really) and are solid decent forks.

wwaswas

these wheels are good value but you’d need centrelock rotors;

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/WPSHMT15/shimano-mt15-disc-wheelset-%28pair%29

edit although these are 6 bolt and for a new wheelset you can’t argue witht he price;

http://www.on-one.co.uk/i/q/WPM1SZDE/mach-1-sub-zero-rims-on-deore-m525-6-bolt-hub-wheelset

mieszko
    Free Member

Check Classifieds as there are always some brakes available. At a £50-60 level You would be looking at new-ish Juicy 3, used Juicy 5’s, good condition Hayes Stroker Ryde or Trail or HFX9 (I prefer the Stroker lever). Tektro Auriga gets good reviews and lower end Shimano disc brakes are good as well. Plenty to choose from tbh.

If You are after some forks then I’m selling my Rock Shox Reba Team, fresh oil in lowers and damper 2 rides ago, everything inside was cleaned and lubed at the time. Very good condition and comes with the pop lock lever with adjustable compression. Air spring so can be adjusted to all kinds of riders. Set at 115mm but I have the spacer to put it back to 100mm. Steerer is 195mm. I’m after £155 posted.

chrisjnr
    Free Member

wwaswas: Cheers, the wheels are already on order. Shimano MT15,(for 53.99).
    z1ppy: where would you suggest I get 2005 Reba’s from, as eBay isn’t exactly spilling over with them?
    mieszko: Yeah I see now, I just needed a bit of a shove in the right direction tbh. £155 (despite them being Reba’s and a great deal) would be stretching the whole £500 thing, as It would mean that I would have about EDIT: £220 (incl. brakes) left to get cranks, gearing, finishing kit, tyres, seatpost and saddle, skewers and pedals. These I’ve worked out to cost around £290, which unless I can find the majority of the items quite cheap.
    Any ideas anyone?
    Cheers for the brake ideas, had I been left to my own devices, I am sure it would have taken a long time. 😀
    I think I might go with Strokers 😛

epicsteve
    Free Member

For cheap hydro brakes I tend to stick to 2nd hand Deore’s and have never been disapointed. Wouldn’t tend to buy Hayes again myself as I’ve found them to be hateful things – I’ve had various old Hope’s that I’ve been happy with though.

Viewing 8 posts - 1 through 8 (of 8 total)

The topic ‘Sibling's Sub £500 bike project- Recommended Brakes?’ is closed to new replies.