Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)
  • shuttle discovery
  • ahwiles
    Free Member

yeah, i know it’s been in service since 1984, but i can’t help feeling that the future just got a little further away.

😐

JulianA
    Free Member

Just watched the final touchdown on the Beeb website. A bit of history there!

pacemaker
    Free Member

We saw Discovery launch in 2008, kind of sad to know i will never see it again.

We will hopefully be there for the launch of Atlantis in June providing they dont push the launch date back.

Mr_Mojo
    Free Member

We was in Florida a couple of years ago when the shuttle went up. Got to Titusville about 6 hours before the launch to get a good viewing spot, sat there waiting then 30 seconds before takeoff the launch was cancelled due to low cloud! Gutted! Then sat in traffic for 4 hours trying to get back to Orlando.

mcmoonter
    Free Member

I dont think I’d want to go into orbit in a B reg space shuttle.

GFs dad worked on a ‘telescope’ that was launched from the Discovery. She went to the VIP launch site. It’s seemingly the loudest man made noise on take off.

PTR
    Free Member

The future is getting further away all the time, it was about 40 years ago!. When we were kids we had space rockets and man on the moon, supersonic airliners, space stations, fast ocean liners, new exiting tall buildings, and fully expected more of the same.

crazy-legs

For Sale:

One careful owner. 238 million kilometres on the clock! 😯

aracer
    Free Member

i can’t help feeling that the future just got a little further away

Yeah – it’s continually receding

PTR
    Free Member

I’ve been recently watching Thunderbirds with my 5 year old son, it seems more futuristic now than it did in the sixties.
    I was talking to some friends kids, I don’t think they believed me when I said that men had already been to the moon, they think it’s something still to happen.

molgrips
    Free Member

I found one of these the other day:

Is that what you mean?

The future is getting further away all the time, it was about 40 years ago!

I’m sorry, I have to disagree strongly with this.

You and I are having a conversation a thousand miles apart, whilst probably doing something else at the same time – watching telly, talking to other people etc – WITHOUT EVEN THINKING ABOUT IT. We have almost limitless knowledge and information accessible in seconds. That is the future, and it is now.

This is all far more useful and enlightening than a sodding moonbase. There’s f all up there, why would we want to spend gazillions of dollars on it?

I love to imagine what I’d do if I had a time machine. One of my favourite pastimes would be to go back in time with some modern piece of technology – or better still bring someone back to now. If you brought me as a kid back to now, only 25 years later, I’d be utterly blown away.

The thing is, all this amazing futuristic stuff that we have, you don’t even notice it.

ps44
    Free Member

I worked on shuttle launch one and the next few. Still the best job I ever had.

Weasel
    Free Member

After the posting last week about the ISS sightings, I’ve looked up the viewing times and stood in the garden in the evening looking west for the ISS appear for a minute or so.

Then on Monday I saw the ISS and shuttle in orbit a distance apart, then you do realise how your watching a spacecraft orbiting the earth, my mate reckons i’ve turned into a geek but I think its amazing.

Viewing 12 posts - 1 through 12 (of 12 total)

The topic ‘shuttle discovery’ is closed to new replies.