Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • Shredding it
  • druidh
    Free Member

Just been going through lots of old tax stuff and I found my 3rd ever P60 (so for my second full year of employment).

Annual Salary – £3,176 🙂

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

Rich bastard.

cynic-al
    Free Member

£1.54 per hour in my first job – well after yours, grandad 😀

atlaz
    Free Member

1.53 an hour for me. Earned 103 quid a week too. But that was with overtime too, at 1.78 an hour.

druidh
    Free Member

That figure of mine included 20% shift allowance.

cynic-al
    Free Member

I look forward to your next post office trip adn a “sending it” thread 😀

pingu66
    Free Member

God that makes me feel old.

£53 my first paypacket, take home £36

LsD
    Free Member

We shouldn’t mock- £3,176 was a very tidy sum in 1927.

sofatester
    Free Member

We shouldn’t mock- £3,176 was a very tidy sum in 1927.

😆

Stoner
    Free Member

LOL @ LsD

nick1962
    Free Member

I use the beer index.
    In my first Saturday job aged 16 at M&S I earned £13 a day and a pint of bitter was 28p = 46 pints for a day’s work.
    A pint is now £2.80 so judging by my current salary I have actually gone backwards on the career ladder. 🙁

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

My first job I earned £26 a week ( calculates frantically) I don’t think there was holiday pay but that £1352 a year. Beer was 28 p a pint so a days wages ( taptaptaptap) 18 pints a days work.

TandemJeremy
    Free Member

Pint £2.80 nick? try £3.50 in my local. (taptaptap) New job starts monday and gets me around 30 pints for a days work

emsz
    Free Member

my first job paid £13K

can I do a vod index? about £34 a day, can buy 3

esselgruntfuttock
    Free Member

You lot were well off! My 1st weeks pay (Durham Rural District Council. apprentice vehicle/plant fitter, 1972)
    £7.26.

If I’d stayed there I’d be retired by now, with over 40 years in.

stavromuller
    Free Member

First wage as an apprentice telephone engineer in 1969 was 7 guineas{£7.35) beer index 1 pint 2/6 (12.5p)gave you a gallon per pound. Petrol was cheaper at three gallon per pound, sounds cheap but it was still frickin expensive

emma82
    Free Member

My first job was £2.50 an hr, I’m quite impressed with that, it was only 14 years ago 🙂

Trekster

My first pay as an apprentice was £5.2/6pence
    I also worked on a farm during weekends, nights and holidays and earned the adult wage, same as my dad, uncle and grand father of £14 and a few pennies 😆
    When I moved to my current employment in `78 working in a factory my wage rise was an instant £20 + ot on a Tues, Thurs and often a Sat morning. Felt like a millionaire ❗

maccruiskeen

My first job, straight out of art college 19 years ago, paid £14/hr to teach pottery in a prison. (That’d be almost £25/hr today). And despite it being a role that required home office clearance I was given the job by someone I bumped into in a pub because she wanted to get into my pants. I’d never thrown a pot in my life so just had to busk it. After about 6months we got privatised and the rate dropped to £10, and then the new private contract holder screwed everything up and had to lay pretty much everyone off. Next job paid £3 per hour, and have slowly been scrabbling my way back ever since.

I’ve been self employed pretty much ever since with only a handful of flirtations with salaried and hourly / day rated work. But even during a spell as an Executive Director my hourly rate didn’t even quite reach the amount my first wage was cut to, even without inflation adjustments.

However, just this last month, after nearly two decades, I’ve picked up a contract that just eclipses the hourly rate of that first job!, shame its only two days a week for 8 weeks otherwise I’d be forced to whine on here about how nobody understands how difficult it is to be rich.

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘Shredding it’ is closed to new replies.