Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Showertrackworld: Mixertap advice needed please
  • stayhigh

Morning All

(Possible hamfisted content to follow)

Next week I’m planning on fitting a shower to the bathroom using a mixer tap and wanted to check a couple of things out first.

I have a combi boiler that is in the airing cupboard next door to the bathroom so the water will only have a short distance to travel. Will this adversly affect the pressure and how do I know what my water pressure is as some taps have a recommended pressure rating?

Is there anything else I should be aware of or just make sure I have a tap that matches the type of boiler I have get to it?

Thanks 🙂

antigee

all the plumbers must be fast asleep – bump

not a plumber but fitted a few showers – pretty sure for running off a combi have to fit one that has a thermostatic valve – but hopefully someone can confirm that because means more money

should run well with combi adjacent – remember with a combi the pressure is more or less your mains water incoming so unless that is bad should be fine – think also depends a little bit on how much energy your combi puts out – if it is struggling then the flow rate reduces to get temperature but should still be better than a non-pumped electric

I once looked at buying a pressure measuring tool because of some concerns over distance from the combi and 3 floors down but couldn’t find one cheap enough to make worthwhile for diy – probably an app’ for it 🙁

edit actually £10 at toolstation plus whatever to attach it to – makes no sense to me why not a 1/2″ fitting as could just whip off cold tap or toilet connector and stick it on – that’s why I’m not a plumber

http://www.toolstation.com/shop/p75711

mj27
    Free Member

Running off a combi especially that close will be good, the pressure will fall in the normal working range for most mixer shower valves so you can ignore all the extra cost for the ones that mention high or low pressure.

Make sure you fit a thermostatic mixer so nobody gets a super hot shower due to other water damand in the house. I always fit Grohe, expensive but they just work with no problems for 9 years.

zedz
    Free Member

Hey mj,

Are they really that good? Just had a look online and they are about £650?

Bear
    Free Member

Grohe are also my shower of choice as seem to have so little problems with their stuff. They do a big range from the expensive down to reasonable. Wouldn’t say they did cheap, but quality is very good.

On the Grohe theme though if budget is more of a problem look at Joyou.

mark90
    Free Member

When we moved into our house about 12 months ago the bathroom had an electric shower which I guess pre-dated the more recent combi boiler. Swapped out the basic mixer tap for a cheap (~£60) thermostatic mixer tap. Even if it doesn’t last as long as the expensive ones I’d rather pay 1/10 amount every 2 or 3 years (being peimistic) than spend £600+ on some taps.

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Showertrackworld: Mixertap advice needed please’ is closed to new replies.