Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)
  • Showerproof gilet (or not)
  • theonlywayisup
    Free Member

I decided I needed a gilet for chillier days, but mostly as an easy to carry garment that would give me a bit of protection from light rain.

When the gilet arrived I was surprised that the back was entirely made of mesh, so won’t give any rain protection. Looking more carefully at a range of gilets online I now realise that most have a mesh back for better ventilation.

I guess the thinking is with a full mesh back I’ll get wet from rain (but dry quicker when it stops), but with a full showerproof back I’ll get wet from the inside.

Should I keep what I have bought, or is there a fully showerproof gilet out there that I won’t cook in?

monkeychild
    Free Member

The Scott windstopper one from start cycles is good.

rusty90
    Free Member

I’ve got a mesh back gilet (Gore hi-viz) for the road and in practice find it works OK – it’s shower proof, not water proof after all, and your arms and legs are still going to get wet.
    Maybe if rain’s getting on your back you’re not cycling fast enough 🙂

tonyd

I have two gilets, one Gore and one Sugoi, both have varying degrees of mesh type material on the back. Assuming this is by design – I thought a gilet was for warmth on chilly mornings etc, so windproof on the front, rather than protection against rain – you might be better off with a light rain jacket that packs down small. My Gore gilet is showerproof on the front also so does provide protection from light rain and spray where it’s needed (I use it mainly on the road bike and commuting).

mccraque

snow and rock have a 40% sale on at the moment. There’s some decent looking Salomon gilets on there…

Gary_M
    Free Member

If Castelli did a gilet version of the Gabba jersey I’d be buying straight away, that and nanoflex arm warmers would be perfect over a summer jersey in the usual Scottish drizzle I face daily. Jus not sure the pack size would be small enough.

cookeaa

I’ve got a Mesh backed Gilet I use mostly for cold mornings, it keeps the wind off your front without cooking you, if it does shower its fine, you’re maybe going to get a little damp but it tends to be your “Leading edges” shoulders and chest that bear the bunt of any rain, and a mesh back sheds dampness (and sweat) about a billion times better than a closed one.

I have a thin jacket with zip off sleeves too (Closed back), even with the sleeves off (effectively a closed back gilet) its a bit warm for cold Spring mornings and gets a bit “boil in the bag” after a few miles it’s better for winter use TBH…

BoardinBob

I like my nukeproof one and it’s not mesh backed

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

I sent my gore one back (didn’t realise it wash a mesh either), and bought an* Endura Laser. No complaints with it, great for summer rain and keeping the wind off Autumn-Spring.

I figured there was little need for an expensive gillet as they’re pretty breathable by design!

*Actualy, went back and bought a 2nd, high vis for the road bike, black for the MTB.

theonlywayisup
    Free Member

Thanks for all the advice. I decided to give the Scott windstopper one from start cycles at try. For £20 it was hard to resist 🙂

Viewing 10 posts - 1 through 10 (of 10 total)

The topic ‘Showerproof gilet (or not)’ is closed to new replies.