Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)
  • Shower paint question
  • Earl
    Free Member

Instead of tiles or a shower board, I was hoping I could use some kind of paint and just repaint every year.

I’ve mist coated the fresh plaster.

I’m thinking, exterior primer then exterior gloss.
    Anyone know if that will work?

sausagefingers
    Free Member

no need for the exterior primer or oil based paint,a few coats of water based eggshell will do the trick and give a better finish than glossing over plaster.
    it dries a lot quicker too so you can get a few coats on in the same day instead of waiting an age for the gloss to dry

Aidy
    Free Member

I had a look a while ago, and wasn’t convinced that any paint would work amazingly well as a waterproof barrier.

Plus, do you really want to be repainting every year? That sounds like a lot of effort to go to to avoid tiling.

johndoh
    Free Member

It sounds like its got disaster written all over it.

rshaul
    Free Member

got to agree with the 2 above
    why so against tiles? wetwall boards look terrible mostly so can see why u dont fancy that

wilsonthecat
    Free Member

A painted wall sounds an awful idea.

As an alternative to tiles or wet wall I would try either vistelle or lustolite. An acrylic based shower panel which looks like glass.

I think B&Q stock it.

jonba
    Free Member

In general paints are permeable to water. Most consumer paints will not be up to the job. Certainly standard gloss and eggshell will not last more than a few weeks of regular usage if there is water running down the wall.

There are other ways of lining a shower. If you find out what look you are going for then you might be able to find something suitable.

If you do go down the paint route then I would look at something from the yacht and boat market. Even then I would suggest the plaster behind would give you problems with efflorescence and damp build up. Maybe you use marine ply but then you’d have to think about a more suitable material.

Industrially there are plenty of pain products that would be suitable. I’ve no idea how a consumer would get hold of them though and without correct equipment to apply them and ppe to cover you for their hazardous nature you’d be better off avoiding them.

edlong
    Free Member

Tile it, it’s not that hard to doonce you get going and very satisfying when you finish (assuming you’ve done a nice job).

Needn’t be too expensive if you shop around, manage to get a pile of end-of-line tiles, aren’t too fussy or just use cheap tiles (cheap tiles laid straight will look a million times better than gloss painted wall!)

Earl
    Free Member

Thanks for the replies. I’m just not a big fan of tiles – just don’t like them at all. And haven’t met a shower board I’ve like yet (and I have been looking for a while).

Repainting every year/6months I dont mind – its a couple of hours work. Not many of you guys recon it will work though. Hm…

theblackmount
    Free Member

Google Trespa

jonba
    Free Member

http://www.multipanel.co.uk/tilePanel/tilepanel.asp

We used stuff from here. Some of the plain ones were OK. There are acrylic panels from others as well

tinribz
    Free Member

I thought oilbased paint was effectively plastic. If it works for wood outdoors how bad can a shower be?

Alternatively, perspex?

johndoh
    Free Member

tinribz – Member
    I thought oilbased paint was effectively plastic. If it works for wood outdoors how bad can a shower be?
    Alternatively, perspex?
    POSTED 1 HOUR AGO # REPORT-POST

But a shower combines water with heat, humidity, detergents and very little opportunity to dry properly.

properbikeco
    Free Member

firstly make sure the wall had been done in cementious board which is water resistant

then tile it with the largest tiles you can find – i have seen 300 x 450mm ones, not a lot to do to lay these well for a nice finish

Viewing 14 posts - 1 through 14 (of 14 total)

The topic ‘Shower paint question’ is closed to new replies.