Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)
  • Show us your retrotastic labours of love
  • Sundayjumper

Some minor damage repaired and the paint spruced up. Assembled with vgc parts. Finished this week ! I know these are a cliche but I’ve wanted one ever since they came out and I’m incredibly chuffed with it. I’m sitting here looking at it right now 🙂

bikebouy
    Free Member

One of the best bikes ever made those Kleins, I loved mine.

firestarter
    Free Member

I would sell my shand for a top notch klein (possibly lol) I love them

antigee

getting a lot of satisfaction out of rebuilding this – nothing special a 1980 mass market road bike – pretty much the same as I was riding at the time:

kayla1
    Free Member

Kayla1, that GT Performer is amazing. Such a great era to grow up in for bmxing. Chrome everywhere!

I got the Performer the year after, Formula One blue I think the colour was called. Loved that bike

I love the seatstays on that year’s Performer. I have to ‘fess up and say that I can’t take any credit at all for the chrome on my bike, it’s as I bought it a few months ago and is all original chrome with some rusting around the platform (but they all do that!). I did buy a later F&F from America for the forks though, the ones that came with the chrome frame were toast. I put it together with as much period-correct (snore!) stuff as I could gather up but I’m not a huge stickler for that sort of thing 😆 I also have a 1995 Fueler (chrome!) which gets wheeled out upon occasion-

Saccades
    Free Member

My brothers old Kona (bottom of the range) that was going into a skip – added a set of similar vintage high end Trek wheels (look at the radial lacing on the front) and some period XT and STX-RC stuff.

Used for pootles to the pub and whatever with the family.

binners

Theres some bloody lovely stuff on this thread now. Keep ’em coming!

bearnecessities

epicyclo

– Member
    Theres some bloody lovely stuff on this thread now. Keep ’em coming!

I’m working on its patina… 🙂

1×1

Aus
    Free Member

[url=https://flic.kr/p/MmLxnX]IMG_20160909_164748402_HDR[/url] by aus23, on Flickr

orangeboy
    Free Member

That 2003 enduro sx on page one reminds me what mine looked like before 13 years of abuse

unovolo
    Free Member

Got a few,
    First one started life as a Raleigh Styler

Ended up as a custom Black Burner

Next up was a Saracen Kili Race (frame only)

Ended up like this (and lovely to ride too)

Next one is a old Raleigh RST 11 for my little boy, was quite rough to begin with(to be fair it was only £3)

Particularly pleased with this as only the Tyres,Seat,Chain, Brake blocks and Cable are new ,the rest cleaned up nicely.

andykirk
    Free Member

I’d like to hear from someone who has spent a lot of time and money restoring an old MTB only to find out what a crap bike it is.

epicyclo

andykirk – Member
    I’d like to hear from someone who has spent a lot of time and money restoring an old MTB only to find out what a crap bike it is.

As soon as they get out of A&E….

soma_rich
    Free Member

Found a 1998 Cannondale F2000 for not much at all, I used to have one in Viper red in 1998. So couldn’t resist, its seen better days and I don’t ride it much but one day I may get it resprayed and upgrade the odd selection of bits that are on it at the moment.

Me racing at Matchems, Hampshire BITD

sofaman

My original white/orange Clockwork was nicked, so ended up with this:

Replaced pedals, bar and stem for a new lease of life, though not very retro…

slackboy

Picked up 1995 stumpjumper last year – I had to make do with a rockhopper first time around.

Then I thought I’d get a matching rockhopper for my daughter

thepodge
    Free Member

Where is good for custom retro stickers? Need some Kona ones and all I can find is ones for old DH / Jump bikes

mattbee

1992 Klein Fervour. Few later ’90s parts like the forks & wheels plus early ’00 SRAM XO but there was reasoning behind that.
    Back in the ’90s a uni mate (Ade of Rivierabike as it happens) had one of these, although his had Judys on it plus the original Mission Control bar/stem combo. It did have the same (literally) Cook Bros cranks.
    I had a Cannondale F500. Fast forward to Millennium NYE & whilst we were at a party my house was robbed & my bike was taken. By this time Ade had a new Marin full sus bike so he leant me the Klein. I had it for over a year & when I got a proper paid job I bought my own bike & gave him the Klein back. He eventually sold it & I heard it snapped. Years later I saw this frame for sale, only the second Fervour in this candy red I’d seen & I had to have it. I decided to build it as a bit of an exercise in how the one I’d been loaned by Ade may we’ll have ended up if I’d kept it for longer. Still a lovely bike, harsh as hell but it only weighs 19.5lb so it flies on smoother trails. Not taken it out for a fair while though as I kinda want to keep it as a happy memory thing rather than ride it until it breaks.
    Sorry for the essay!

Whathaveisaidnow
    Free Member

stickers

click on the product availability link

H lloyds

squirrelking
    Free Member

Have a ’95 Diamondback Traverse in the loft, sentimental value only as it was my first proper bike, even if it did weight a tonne. Needs a repray and new bits, got a period Shimano headset only to discover the fit was JIS or whatever its called. Thankfully some velocipede tinkerer in Glasgow turned the forks down to accept the proper sized crown race and its just waiting for me to get enough bits assembled to get it moving again.

Also have an FC Parkes of unknown provenance which belongs to a friend of my FIL. The numbers are all wrong and he got it in the 70’s with older decals so bugger knows where it came from. Needs new wheels and guards and the rest can get cleaned up.

I miss my ’99 GT Timberline which replced the Diamondback, it was the metallic lime one which looked lovely, if another came up I’d have it (but with Bombers instead of the RS Jett C crap that was on mine)

Fudd
    Free Member

’97 Merlin XLM. I lusted after a Merlin (the US made titanium and not the far east alu frames imported by a UK bike shop) back in the day but they were always a bit spendy, or about 10 weeks worth of my electricians wages for a frame to put it in perspective. They’re a bit cheaper these days so I use it as my ‘general duties’ bike and I take a perverse satisfaction that if I chain it outside the shops next to a £500 Boardman and some scrotes come along, it’ll probably be the Boardman that goes missing first.

thepodge
    Free Member

Whathaveisaidnow – stickers

click on the product availability link

H lloyds
    Thanks for the link

Stevet1
    Free Member

This looks amazing

Great job!

unovolo
    Free Member

Cheers Stevet1,
    Its got a few more extras on it now for a more 70’s flavour….
    Chrome Rear view mirrors,
    Old fashioned bulb horn and a Long whippy aerial/flag thing.

Little lad loves it.

td75
    Free Member

Finally got a 90’s Kona again. Love it

[url=https://flic.kr/p/Mr7rFt]Kona Lava Dome[/url] by

breadcrumb

I’ve got a 1994 Univega Alpina frame in the loft. Thinking of removing the canti bosses and adding a disc mount and maybe swapping the 1″ headtube to a 1?” to fit a pair of P2s I have lying round too.

Viewing 27 posts - 41 through 67 (of 67 total)

The topic ‘Show us your retrotastic labours of love’ is closed to new replies.