Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Show us your Gravity Droppers…and remote question
  • RestlessNative
    Free Member

Can you post up a pic of your bike with a gravity dropper* on to convince me it aint going to look too guff with that boot thing.

Also left or right hand lever? I am thinking left, what's the norm?

*actual gravity droppers, none of these fancy hydraulic non 27.2 other brands

singlespeedstu

They do look guff though. 😆

RestlessNative
    Free Member

You can't even hop over a little branch, what do you know 😉

I was thinking the classic version with the less nuts cabling

fbk
    Free Member

No pics to hand but they are great. Just come back from the Alps and it did make rides a lot more "flowing", especially the Mega. I'd go with a left hand lever (your left thumb tends to have less to do as a whole!).

There's no getting away from the fact they aint attractive to look at but they're reliable and easy to service (the one guy in our group with a Joplin is sending his back as it failed while we were away!)

Junkyard
    Free Member

no pics to hand.
    you cannot buy one for looks that is for sure BUT they are superb though on a functional level and for riding satisfaction.
    Once tried very few people go back to a standard post
    Edit Left hand for me as it is less likely you will be changing gear with that hand than the other when you need to drop

singlespeedstu

Oh forgot to say a left hand lever seems to be better as there's less going on over that side of the bars.
    If you do go for a Turbo try fitting a V brake cable noodle where it comes out the post. I've done this now and the cable routings a lot better and it doesn't keep damaging the outer cable.

khani
    Free Member

here you go.

psychle
    Free Member

To be fair, some would say that the gravity dropper being ugly is the least of this bikes issues! 😆

Mine's right-hand, but my command post is left-hand and I much prefer that tbh… Re. adjustable seatposts in general, just buy one, it will amaze you how much you needed it once you have it! 8)

RestlessNative
    Free Member

Right have ordered a 4" multi classic, if it looks silly you are all to blame

Rickos
    Free Member

They do look a bit naff compared to a Joplin, but they work well. I use a left hand lever, but I'm now after a right hand lever so that I can run it under the bars on the left side on my razzer which has no front mech. It'll just look neater.

BoardinBob

Waiting to see how the rockshox one does. They should have the expertise to build one that doesn't break!

Shandy
    Free Member

Any reccommendations for a decent shim? I need to go 30.9-27.2.

BontyBuns
    Free Member

Ride more, the nerves in your ass will go dead eventually.

snakebite
    Free Member

Got a Rockshox one coming my way sometime soon…

RestlessNative
    Free Member

for those of us with 27.2 seat tubes the options are somewhat limited

convert
    psychle
    Free Member

that does look quite nice doesn't it…

oscillatewildly
    Free Member

they all look shocking, and its a cop out anyways. Just learn to ride down hill properly 🙂

timraven

Just learn to ride down hill properly

It's not that you can't ride it with your saddle up, it's just more fun with it dropped and I love the ability to drop the saddle without stopping.

Sure ain't purdy tho. 😆

Warrenpfo
    Free Member

Do any of them come in a layback version??

Tim
    Free Member

layback doesnt work particaulrly well as far as i know – doesnt put a straight load on the post.

For the same reason, bikes with silly slack seat tubes also arent supposed to be as good

convert

I hadn't noticed that the 27.2mm version of the cobra was not layed back like the i950 larger diameter version.

Didzy2009 – Member
    they all look shocking, and its a cop out anyways. Just learn to ride down hill properly

*must………..resist………..biting*

Ah, ok just a nibble. How about you learn to get the most out of your bike?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

I have a question…

My TranceX has a limited amount of droppage due to the sus-pivot piercing the seat tube. I've chopped down my post to gain droppage, but leave enough post at max height without compromising the seat tube.

If I stick a 4" GD in there, can I chop it down, or will it all be too high?

Do you get what I mean?

_tom_
    Free Member

Anyone got news on the rockshox one – expected price etc? I've been interested in a dropper for a while now but the good looking ones (superstar/KS) seem to be unreliable and crap. Hopefully Rock Shox can solve this as I don't want an ugly gravity dropper!

timmys

Warrenpfo – Member

The i900 has some layback, the i950 is inline I believe.

Northwind

A lovely view obscured by a hideously ugly seatpost :mrgreen:

snakebite
    Free Member

250 for the rockshox

geetee1972
    Free Member

MBR this month is saying they've been told £299 for the Rock Shox reverb although Fisher's website is still showing £250.

RestlessNative
    Free Member

Well mine has been despatched, shame I won't have it for this weekend though

firestarter
    Free Member

Prefer a right hand remote I also run my post other way round to improve cable run , I've had no probs with this and gd say you can run it either way

zinger
    Free Member

duir
    Free Member

Yes they are but ugly and not perfect but totally functional, reliable and easy to self repair. Apart from photos you can't see it anyway and neither will your mates as you will be that far ahead of them as they stop every 2 minutes to mess about with a regular QR seatpost. As for mount I went for rear facing and right hand shifter. This works well with a dual ring setup. I have a pal that runs right hand upside down on the left next to his gripshift…….so lot's of choice.

Good on you for choosing your weapon based on function rather than form. I will take a working ugly bit of kit anyday over pretty rubbish.

BoardinBob

250 for the rockshox

Christ. Some of their very decent forks don't even cost that much!

Trimix
    Free Member

I was going to get one till I read the comments about them failing / wearing out. When does the Rock shock one come out then, I reckon if anyone can make one that works it should be them. I will add it to my cycle to work scheme bike.

grumm
    Free Member

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

My TranceX has a limited amount of droppage due to the sus-pivot piercing the seat tube. I've chopped down my post to gain droppage, but leave enough post at max height without compromising the seat tube.

If I stick a 4" GD in there, can I chop it down, or will it all be too high?

OK i'll put it another way…

Has anyone sawn a bit off the bottom of their gravity dropper post before inserting it in the seat-tube?

khani
    Free Member

just looked in the end of mine and its got about 2-3inchs before the gubbins start, it is threaded to unscrew the gubbins out of the bottom so care maybe needed to not butcher the threads when cutting it,
    they do a 350mm version though

duir
    Free Member

Waiting to see how the rockshox one does. They should have the expertise to build one that doesn't break!

or……..

They will rush to release a poorly tested and badly assembled version, give lot's of free stuff away under warranty for a year and then find out what was wrong with it from distributor feedback and make it all over again but properly next year.

I love Rock Shox but only after they have been tweaked by a pro!

br
    Free Member

Those with the gubbins on the rear look 'better'.

Has anyone one on a 456 (steel or Ti) – piccy?

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Show us your Gravity Droppers…and remote question’ is closed to new replies.