Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)
  • Show me your wood stores
  • exilegeordie
    Free Member

OK, so me and Missus Geordie are having a wood burning stove fitted in a couple of weeks and have to decide how to store the wood outside. We have a rigg wall that runs from the back gate to the shed (about four metres in length) that we’d like to utlitise with some sort of shelter to store the wood under. I know there are a number of you that have wood burning stoves, so wondered whether you could share pictures of your storage solutions. There isn’t enough room in the shed, so it needs to be a separate unit. Something like this would be ideal linky only without the massive price tag.

So, bearing in mind I’m a DIY dufus, please recommend a solution.
    Cheers guys!

Andy

Shorty121
    Free Member

If you stack the wood well and put a plastic sheet over would be fine. If your not into that these might be good

http://www.buyshedsdirect.co.uk/Log-Stores?gclid=CLGmiY7xo6YCFQse4QodWT4kZg

Remember stacking gets more in and looks neater

Ryan-
    Free Member

In our garden next to the shed we have a (I cant think of the name, but yeah, a wooden structure thing) which runs up to the wall and up against the wall we have a bit of old trellece which is held up by some timber beams/bricks/odd bits of concrete which is where we keep our stuff which we burn. Its about 2m wide, 40cm deep. We have filled it before this winter and probably have about a quarter left.

For you, all I would do is flag a length running next to the wall, and run some sort of plastic sheet over it, depending on how big the load of wood is you have and then just pick at it willy nilly. Then you can cut the wood so it can fit in your fire, store it and then just chop it up when you need to. We have a chainsaw and axe, and we axe it up probs once a week, we keep a big bag of chopped up stuff and kindle in the shed. You can even store the wood in bigger bits, as I guess it will need to dry out.

PS; if you can, get in with local landscapers/tree surgeons, they might be able to get you ‘better wood’ ie, tigther grain stuff as it burns better, for a more reasonable price compared to places like b&q etc etc. We’re sorted for wood as my dad is a landscape gardener and knows some tree sergeons quite well..

monkeyfudger
    Free Member

Ryan-
    Free Member

is that a cock sock?

saladdodger
    Free Member

Alas we started this winter realy well stocked with wood

But december depleted a winters worth

Bugger

mcmoonter
    Free Member

specky4eyes
    Free Member

I knocked a second wood store together using old pallets, 2 on the base and top and one each side, backed up against a fence.

saladdodger
    Free Member

come on now Mcmoonter

That is a french work of art surely??????????

yes I am jealous

exilegeordie
    Free Member

All hail Mcmoonter!

exilegeordie
    Free Member

Thanks shorty121 – we’e had a look at that site and were considering something along those lines. Ideally I’d like to build something.

ART

Every time … but still lovin’ it 😉

richmars

Not up to Mcmoonter’s standards but maybe a bit more realistic!

exilegeordie
    Free Member

Bump for the lunchtime crowd.

organic355
    Free Member

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Yesterday’s posts seem to have disappeared.

sharkbait
    Free Member

I’m lucky enough to have a small stable that’s spare – looking a bit empty though. I’ll be stocking up a lot this spring hopefully.

sharkbait
    Free Member

mcmoonter ……. grrrrrrr 😉 They are fab, seems a shame to actually use any!

stratobiker
    Free Member

mcoonter wins! That’s what you call a wood store!!! Wow!!

Here’s our pallet based wood store before the wood went in…

ART

Yup,yesterday’s posts gone but mcmoonter still winning by a country mile, nicer than my house those are…. 😉

crazymoon
    Free Member

needs filling again soon though

anokdale
    Free Member

I really must try to advance from the sheet over wood pile option, retreats to safe place and plans wood store buld this summer. 😳

richmars

Posted this yesterday but now lost, so just to show how much better mcmooner’s is then anything else here’s one of mine:

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Thanks folks 8)

This isn’t one of mine but food for thought.

I am a closet wood pile fetishist. I’ve been inspired by those I’ve seen in France amd in Oregon and Washington. They make mine look like a box of matches.

bigyinn
    Free Member

Lots of OCD going on there…..

Here’s mine

anokdale
    Free Member

mcmoonter – I maybe the same, apparently i always comment on the wood piles when we are in France, the wife and kids just laugh at me, Oh no 😳

swisstony
    Free Member

retro83
    Free Member

hOLY MOTHER OF CHRIST 😯

Bunnyhop

😆 😳

thinktank
    Free Member

neon euro pouch action- hell yeah

smiffy

I’ll see your pallet-based clamp system but raise you the ultimate cover to beat noisy tin or sweaty tarp – fleece compost cover (Compostex, etc.). Silent in rain, water repellent and breathable. No access to a picture where I am, though, sorry.

donald
    Free Member

My car’s in there somewhere.

dawson

near

far away

timber

Mostly bare sheds at the moment, only about 10 tons left.
    Not worth picturing that empty. Planning a big new addition, just need the boss to agree.

bristolbiker
    Free Member

No photos, but I built my own based on is identical to the design of the top one here http://edistone.com/Pattern_A_2Bays.html (4m x 1.5m x 1.5m in two bays). A couple of lunchtimes working out the geometry on CAD and working to standard lengths meant the cost of the wood under a 1/3rd of the price they wanted and only took a couple of afternoons to put together from scratch…. and I did go a bit mad and put a roofing felt/batten/cedar shingle roof on it too 😆

Could do with another, as this combined with it’s sister shed constructed under our high-rise decking, only sees us through 3/4s of the winter…. but don’t really have the room…..

Here’s mine.
    Just yer basic pile of logs under an old lorry tarp.

[/url] log pile by Vegan Graham, on Flickr[/img]

exilegeordie
    Free Member

organic355 – would you care to share the details of the materials used to construct your wood store please, or is it a bought one? It looks just the ticket.

qwerty
    Free Member

not mine, its the mother in laws – but i built it

quite pleased with the end result as it was a spur of the moment build made with whatever i mananaged to find in the loft, front panel is lift off for access

its lasted a winter or two so far

😀

ditch_jockey
    Free Member

Pic of mine during construction – used a pallet as a base and built the rest with some leftover picket fencing

This was it finished and ready to accept wood…

I filled the log store, then kept going under the trees next to it…

TBH, the foliage from the trees is keeping the new piles pretty dry, although I’ll need to cover them with a tarp come autumn.

globalti
    Free Member

Just for you I’ve nipped out in the rain to get this shot of our woefully empty store:

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 44 total)

The topic ‘Show me your wood stores’ is closed to new replies.