Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)
  • Show me your pointer dogs
  • BlindMelon
    Free Member

If anyone has a pointer please post a pic

duntstick
    Free Member

Slovakian pointer ‘Jade’

neilsonwheels
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yGYqCiAXvrU[/video]

bearnecessities

@duntstick – Possibly the coolest looking dog I’ve seen, and I’m not even a dog person.

DezB
    Free Member

somafunk

This is lennon outside the front door, He considers the house his personal kennel.

This is two of his sons in front of the fire

BlindMelon
    Free Member

Lennon is a handsome fella

mikemorini
    Free Member

Ludo

matt_outandabout

somafunk – are your married to mcmoonter? 😆

philconsequence
    Free Member

cookie the pointer cross

somafunk

Mcmoonter?….err….no…why/how come/i’m very confused?.

Anyway..here is Dexter, Lennons 2 yr old son sitting at the kitchen table as he is prone to do.

Lennon, Dexter, Monty and Magik the spaniel on the flloor, Thistle (spaniel mother) is out of shot

A box of Spointer pups from an alliance between Lennon (german pointer) and Thistle (spaniel, they were in the box purely to carry them all over to the walled garden so the could run about safely, we didn’t keep them in the box for storage purposes 😀

One of Monty as a wee pup in the walled garden, tired out as he spent all afternoon chasing butterflies.

Slightly older pups in the kitchen, only kept two of them.

And Thistle the mother, showing the sort of behaviour that got her pupped in the first place

DezB
    Free Member

They do like the upside down postition

Good with kids 🙂

somafunk

There’s something very endearing bout’ an upside down dog, i dunno how they lie like that though? – the pups above like to lie upside down on their sofa in the kitchen and hang their heads over the edge, it gives me a headache to think about it.

matt_outandabout

Mcmoonter?….err….no…why/how come/i’m very confused?.

Your house reminds me of mcmoonter towers…

toppers3933
    Free Member

Think i want a spointer!!

somafunk

Gawd no… it’s not my house…. it belongs to friends of mine who also own the dogs above, although i admit i do spend more time staying wi them than i do at my own house, my entire house/bungalow would comfortably fit in their entrance hallway, wi room to spare 🙁

The dogs are great fun, but looking after 5 of them is a full time job for Anne,, a walk in the morning round the farm or up on the moor then back for a hose down and breakfast, followed by another walk in the afternoon followed by a hose down and tea followed by another walk…..the pups are still a bit crazy/loopy but they’re about to be trained for the guns soon – so hopefully that’ll instil a bit of discipline into them, or at least thats what my mate hopes…..i tend to disagree as i think they’ve got a loose circuit board in their heads but in a good crazy/nuts/mental sort of way – i admit it would be nice for once if they actually came back when you whistle on them rather than have the pair of them stare at you as if you’re crazy “What?- you want me to come back?…already?….are you nuts?….I’ve got another 800 acres to explore first”. 🙂

BlindMelon
    Free Member

Thanks all. Dez what age were your kids when you got the dog? My boy is 14 months so think it might be better to leave it a while before getting one

user-removed
    Free Member

Me too for a Spointer please!! My Lurcher / Terrier / God-only-knows-what-else ‘points’. He does it in a very precise way and I’ve often mused that there must be a bit of Pointer in him.

Looks quite like the Slovakian Pointer up there ^^^.

Kasper’s the one on the right… Sorry for sullying the Pointer thread with a hairy brute.

somafunk

dunstick’s slovakian pointer “jade” looks amazing, there’s a real sense of character about her which is almost an exaggerated caricature in those pics above.

Here’s 7 baby spointers wi their mother “Thistle”,

I think this was Dexter as a pup in the walled garden, i would have loved to have him (or any of the 7) for myself but i’m out at work 4/5 days a week so i can’t have a dog, it’s not fair to keep such an athletic dog couped up inside all day 🙁

Monty (on arm) and Dexter on their sofa

Dexter and Monty on their sofa in the kitchen

An imperial looking “Lennon” surveying all that is his, the grand master of the house, 11 years old and still fit as ever.

Yep…I’m definitely a dog person but my jobs and work commitments mean i have to make do with my friends dogs for the time being.

DezB
    Free Member

Dez what age were your kids when you got the dog?

Son was about 7. Dog was almost a year old and had been used to kids as the previous owner’s place was part farm part creche!

deadlydarcy
    Free Member

I wouldn’t let having a 14 month old stop you BM.

At that stage, they can get used to one another and the puppy grows up with the babber. Much worse to get a puppy when they’re older and are happy to play with it while it’s a puppy (and sometimes the wrong games) only for them to get bored with it after a few weeks, when it needs to be taken out in shitty weather, when it has to have its shit picked up etc etc and the associated feelings the dog has when its playmates are no longer interested. He can’t do too much damage to the dog when he’s that age and the dog will learn to tolerate the inevitable pulling and tugging that happens. You’ll have to be nails on it for nipping etc of course.

(For the likes of DezB, I’m not saying all kids are like this, but IME, many kids who really look forward to us visiting with Molly get bored of her after the first evening.)

All the above is bollocks if you’re thinking of getting a rescue pointer of course.

Oh, and despite not having one, I think they’re great dogs. Brilliant for running and biking I imagine and lovely looking too.

chakaping
    Free Member

Just added “Slovakian Pointer” and “Spointer” to my list.

Wife used to have a GSP and the only thing that puts me off getting another pointer-based woofer is that they seem to need a large amount of exercise.

DezB
    Free Member

There are, of course, down sides to the pointer breed. I’m sure you can find them easily enough by googling.
    The main problem with ours is the relentless hunt for food!

mikemorini
    Free Member

Ours (Ludo above) gets an hour in the morning and the same in the evening. At weekends normally a bit more.
    He likes running and I like walking, so I don’t mind.
    He’s also a good cycling companion and will do 12 miles across the Berkshire downs at a resonable pace. I let him dictate speed and diversions to chase pheasants, drink etc. We’ve built up to this distance over a period of 6 months from the age of 18 months so as not to strain his joints as he grew.
    Like most dogs they’ll take as much exercise as you’ll give them.

Mike

philconsequence
    Free Member

recall is our issue…. those scents are much more exciting than we could ever be!

teadrinker
    Free Member

Technically not ours but we look after him an awful lot. The Sister in Laws “Jakey”

cinnamon_girl

Wow, some gorgeous Pointers. 8)

But, really, dogs on sofas. Shouldn’t be allowed. 😐

somafunk

Dogs belong on sofa’s just as much as we belong on sofa’s, that’s just my opinion though and i accept that others may feel otherwise.The dogs above have their own sofa in the kitchen & drawing room, another sofa by the hallway fireplace and one in my bedroom and my mates bedroom.

Their choice not to have kids, but they do like their dogs., just as well i do too 😀

brakes
    Free Member

ha! fine if dogs have their own sofa, but you wouldn’t want them on your own. bet that sofa stinks!

Basil

Sybil (Half GWP half Visla)

[/img]

colin1265
    Free Member

Our trusty German Pointing Dog

IMG_0331 by Pointydog, on Flickr

Basil

Wot no dogs on settee?
    [/img]

colin1265
    Free Member

A not happy hound in the cat bed. A sort of protest me thinks !!

IMG_0929 by Pointydog, on Flickr

DezB
    Free Member

bet that sofa stinks!

GSPs aren’t smelly or particularly “moulty”.
    (We do have to block the sofa with obstacles when she’s left alone in the house 😕 )

pop-larkin
    Free Member

Kaiser the gsp
    Much less smelly than our springer- apart from he loves in rolling in fox 5h1t 👿

IMG_7519 by Larkin Pop, on Flickr

Viewing 35 posts - 1 through 35 (of 35 total)

The topic ‘Show me your pointer dogs’ is closed to new replies.