Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)
  • Show me your ( older ) kids bikes.
  • righog
    Free Member

Looking for inspiration for bike build for a 5’4″ 13 year old

Not the keenest of cyclist but I owe him a fiver for learning to ride no handed.

bol

No pics, but I’ve just built up a small kinesis decade versa from the classifieds with nice bits from classifieds and eBay (rebas, ea70 wheels x9 1×10 etc) and stuff from my spares box for circa £400. Looks good and rides well my 14 year old daughter tells me. She’s riding it every day, which must say something.

darrenspink
    Free Member

Just turned 12yr olds. 16″ frame bought cheap off crc last year. Other stuff are my hand me downs or ebay. Next buy will be some decent forks as these are very poorly. Hes also gettimg my old shimano hydraulic brakes soon. Hes a lucky lad, I didn’t have anything like this at his age.

righog
    Free Member

Nice one darren, I have actually got an 18″ Ragley Marley fram sitting in the loft wish I had bought the 16″ now ( but I am quite looking forward to using the Ragley this winter) What travel forks are you using ?

tinribz
    Free Member

Brand x jump frame I think. Forks are bit heavy but he chose them.

darrenspink
    Free Member

Thanks, 130 on there at the moment righog. When the time comes im thinking of grabbing some 650b 140 forks as im pretty sure the frame will take bigger wheels.

bartimaeus
    Free Member

12 year old… XXS 13.5″ Rockhopper with Rebas and XT shifters:

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Built a kona fire mountain up for our lad this year to replace his 24″ wheeled Isla bike.
    Was good little build mostly from eBay or the classifieds.
    14″ fire mountain with 100mm rebas mavic cross ride wheels from a ride mate. 50mm stem direct from china. 150mm cranks from Isla bikes running 1 x 9.
    He loves it 🙂

Legoman
    Free Member

16″ Mondraker carbon frame – nice & light. Full XT drive train’ mavic/XT wheels from the spares box. Put on a shorter stem since the picture – he’s 11 and it fits him pretty well – he flies round the blue at Swinley with me!

Legoman
    Free Member

following on from my post above…. actually I didn’t fit the new stem, I made him do it!
    If you’re gonna ride ’em, you gotta learn how to fix ’em, right?

grievoustim
    Free Member

This is my 10 year olds new bike.
    Garage sale xs bfe with my old forks and wheels and a new deore groupset

grievoustim
    Free Member

Eldest daughter is on a new eBay charge skinny duster frame in small with hand me down bits

No pics to hand but 13 year old middle daughter is on an xs inbred

asbrooks

I’m also looking for an older kids bike, my daughter is just about to turn 12 and is currently 5’4″. She’s sprouted 4″ since the start of the year and has grown out of her 24″ wheeled bike she had for xmas.
    I do have some old 26″ wheels (none disc) and have been looking at frames to suit. However, I’m concerned by the time I get something sorted, she’ll have out grown it.
    So, What size frame to get that still has v brake bosses? Bearing in mind she has little interest in ‘ever going mountain biking'(to use her own words) 🙁

bearnecessities

Heh, great pic Legoman 🙂

EDIT: I’m in possession again of the SLR wheels from it. If of any interest, let me know.

br
    Free Member

Orange one – Identiti Dr Jekyll

Started with 24″ wheels and now on 26″.

About a 12″, but here my eldest was riding so had a long seatpost in.

Legoman
    Free Member

Hey Bear – Mondraker meets Llama!

SLRs would be ideal but all spare change is currently being diverted into my own new bike fund (which was raided last year to buy the Mondraker frame from you!)

righog
    Free Member

Great stuff thanks all. some good ideas 😀

NorthCountryBoy
    Free Member

Pics of my lads kona as promised.

Viewing 18 posts - 1 through 18 (of 18 total)

The topic ‘Show me your ( older ) kids bikes.’ is closed to new replies.