Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 97 total)
  • Show me your motorbikes :-D
  • thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Show me your noisy toys!

After failing my test last week (learner driver pulled into my lane on a dual carrigeway whilst I was 3/4 past him, leaving me with nothing to do other than brake (casuing instructor to brake, car behind etc etc) not a fail, only a minor, but not putting the instructor in a good mood 2 minutes in.

Followed by a bad decision exiting a roundabout onto dual carrigeway and getting stuck behind one of those harmless* grannies doing 40, resulting in a stream of cars overtaking and no gaps to overtake into. Ohh well says I its only half a mile to the junction, sit tight and hope I dont get rear ended. FAIL (I now hate grannies almost as much as I do Daily Mail readers).

Other than that 2 minors, one of which I had to point out when he said 'anythig else?'

*appart form a test costing 200 feking quid!

Gareth_Uglow
    Free Member

Failed for going at 40 on a dual carriageway? Seems harsh.

Thinking about doing my test this summer 😕

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Yea, but if you think about it bikes arent very visible, so if you were doing 40 behind a slow car it wouldn't take much for a distracted driver to plough straight into you.

kenneththecurtain
    Free Member

I failed my first one after some **** in a transit double parked right before a roundabout, I thought he was turning left so pulled up behind then got stuck!

200 quid though!? Think my test was about 60 quid, is the new style test longer or something?

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

£90 test

The rest is is getting to/from the place, the instructors time and bike hire.

gixer.john
    Free Member

Just e-mailed you a couple of pics – i don't know how to post them!

chrissyboy
    Free Member

Not mine, but looks nearly the same. Only mine's got black wheels. And no ridiculous luggage carrier. And has a 'carbon look' hugger. And my garden's not that tidy. And mine's got a seat cover. Shite, at least it's the right colour….

Bad luck on the test – I failed 1st time too. Go in for it again, you'll pass next time!

simon_g

Bad luck on the test – I almost failed mine for speeding – unfamiliar road that looked like a country lane (no lampposts, etc) but I'd missed the 30 sign which was half-obscured by a bush. Did you manage the u-turn OK though?

My Monster:

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

its a 2 part test now,

Module1

Manual handling into/out of a mock garrage,

Slow speed stuff (walking pace or lower):
    Slalom
    Figures of 8
    Turn in the road
    Straight line (keeping behind the examiner)

High speed stuff (32mph)
    Swerve
    Emergency stop

Module2
    40-50minutes on the road (i.e. the old test)

Northwind

With a few of its mates…

It doesn't look like that now 🙁 2 more scottish winters, another 10000 miles and a general loss of interest have left it a bit sorry for itself. Still works though.

rkk01
    Free Member

Tried a couple of those firestorms after I passed my DAS – sound lovely.

Unfortunately Mr Bank Manager said **** off

Obi_Twa
    Free Member

The module 2 part test is £75.

Also – there is more to your failure story than you are making out. What did the serious fault on the sheet say?

robgarrioch

The test does look a bit more involved now, sure you'll nail it next time. It's worth it, but be prepared to go hungry a few time…

Last one, the 2nd TL1000s I owned –

Current one, Africa Twin, here on Morecambe bay sands. SSlloooowww bike, but so comfy & fun to ride; done more miles on this in 15 months than any bike since my first one in '98 –

(photopage)

MrTall
    Free Member

Crashed my Vmax last Autumn and it was written off (annoying when in reality it was just scratches and bent bars) and am still umming and arring on it's replacement. I know it's a personal thing but it's just the best looking bike ever to me. I miss her. 🙁

GSX 1400 high on the list but i can never be arsed to sort out a test ride. If the Vmax's weren't more now than the brand new one i bought i'd have another in a heartbeat. Nothing else really floats my boat and i don't really fit on sports bikes.

I only passed my test 1st time cos the instructors bike had a flat and he had to follow me in a crappy little car. He couldn't see me for half the test as he was too far back! And when i did make a mistake i pretended my earpiece wasn't working so that's why i took the wrong exit at the roundabout….. Bless him, he believed me.

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Do you want a copy of the sheet?

2 minor signaling faults, one of which was the one i pointed out, the other I don't remember so is his oppinion so obviously wasnt something i said "ohh fek I shouldnt have done that" after)

1 minor for anticipating other road users (the learner pulling accross whilst i was passing him)

1 serious for not geting upto speed due to granny

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

£90, yup your right its £75 (plus £15 for the mod1 which i'd paid for at the same time)

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

SimongG – Is that MrsPPs ex-Monster you have there? 🙂 How's it going?

Currently

Previous

And before that

jackthedog
    Free Member

A serious fault for getting stuck behind granny? Is it 'undue hesitation' or something? I know it's not great, but I didn't think it'd be a test failure. Harsh.

Obi_Twa
    Free Member

Post up a copy of the sheet if you want. I might be able to give you a hint or two for the next time.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

My current toy – going in for a race tune this time next week 😉

Hadge
    Free Member

😉

simon_g

PP – yes, the same Monster. Going well, it fell (or was pushed) off it's stand a few weeks ago. Damage was (thankfully) just a bent sidestand and bars – the crash bungs did their job. Went for some black Renthals as replacements, slightly different riding position which feels spot on, more like mtb risers with a bit of an upright sweep.

PeterPoddy
    Free Member

PP – yes, the same Monster. Going well, it fell (or was pushed) off it's stand a few weeks ago. Damage was (thankfully) just a bent sidestand and bars – the crash bungs did their job. Went for some black Renthals as replacements, slightly different riding position which feels spot on, more like mtb risers with a bit of an upright sweep.

Hmm I would doubt it fell off unless you parked it pointing downhill?

Mrs PP is pleased to see 'Daisy' again… 😉 (She never named any of her other bikes)

The black bars look brilliant actually! 😀

We're probably going to get a Multistrada next year, as we're off to the TT again.

jahwomble
    Free Member

toaster93
    Free Member

Hadge, that's a work of art! 🙂

higthepig
    Free Member

Hadge, that's a work of art!

+1 but I'm not jealous, much, lucky b'stard :mrgreen:

taka
    Free Member

ive got one of these 1999 Aprilia RX50 hopefully getting a rx125 when i can afford it

except mine has a big buff sticker on the rear panels and needs a new coil…

and i have one of these (this ones not mine)

and one of these which i crashed into a wall yesterday and totalled it

will get some pictures of my bikes when i get a camera 😳

Tom

mboy
    Free Member

Hadge

You are a lucky, lucky man… I was lucky enough to have a sit on a Desmosedici that belonged to a mate's Dad once, he'd barely had it long at all and already covered quite some distance on it. Apparently he did 1500 miles in the first week on it! Though it did help he picked his up from the factory…

Anyway, not mine, but mine is exactly the same… An original 1996 748SP…

Except mine has got a proper Carbon front hugger off a 916SP, and a WSB spec extra tall "flip-up" screen.

the_lecht_rocks

in full touring mode :

more sporting [sort of] :

br
    Free Member

Did mine on a expansion piped' RD250E, luckily in the days when the instructor stood on a street corner and you did a short 'routine' around a couple of blocks.

It was also raining heavy for the first time in ages, so very slippery.

He said after passing me that he just stood in a doorway sheltering from the rain and could hear my every move… probably never went above 25mph and no emergency stop ('cos of the rain).

redthunder
    Free Member

I use to haver one of these….

Actually I've picked the wrong picture and bike.. the above is a MT03

I had a Honda Hornet:

Northwind

Kinda hard to identify from that angle. MT3?

barnsleymitch
    Free Member

jahwomble – be honest now, how many times has it blown up? I've had harleys and buells for the past twenty years or so, and much as I loved my last buell (an m2), it was never the most reliable of bikes. Sounded f***ing great though!

anagallis_arvensis

Love the look of that africa twin
    here's mine, had it nearly a year now

oomidamon

I've got one of these – bloody lovely.

Aristotle
    Free Member

Not fashionable, but fairly capable and good fun:

jahwomble
    Free Member

"be honest now, how many times has it blown up?"

Actually only once, well once and a half really and in three years that's pretty good, always had buell modded harleys or full buells for about thirty years now, and if you get the motor balanced and blueprinted properly, they run pretty well considering the crudeness of 'em 🙂 My missus has has buell tuned 1970 xr750, now that does go off with a bang regularly but is just the biggest laugh ever to ride on the street:)

solamanda
    Free Member

saleem
    Free Member

Nice bike hadge,………does anyone here have a ktm rc8 as I'm thinking of putting my hand deep into my pocket and getting one.

birky
    Free Member

Bought new in '97 and currently on 101k miles

And …

Also have a TY175 which is long term loan to a friend

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 97 total)

The topic ‘Show me your motorbikes :-D’ is closed to new replies.