Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Show me your log stores!
  • cruzcampo
    Free Member

Evening guys,

Fancy building my own, and need some design inspiration, post up some pics of yours.

Any thoughts on slatted sides/back, versus sealed side/back. Better airflow but more rain access? and do you cover the front of yours against rain or is this not an issue?

Cheers

footflaps

There must have been 100s of threads on this

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/log-coal-storage

crankboy
    Free Member

The search function is your friend… Slatted sides back and base . open or covered front depends on site and exposure to wind driven rain. Mine has a curtain of strips of pond liner to keep the rain out.

Markie
    Free Member

Having been (very kindly and eminently reasonably) warned off making a green oak bed, I intend to make a green oak wood shed / haybale shed / tool area.

I intend it to look like this:

My plan is to weatherboard the sides and then use keyed boards to protect the front if necessary – its face will be quite sheltered, I think.

By keyed boards I mean boards with a slot on either side where the bottom of the slot is wider than the top so you can place it onto like a bolt and then drop it down and it can’t fall off?

I intend to look somewhat like that in 40 years.

cruzcampo
    Free Member

KK cheers, much reading in above links 😯

Theres a ton on ebay for sale pretty cheap in my area too but with completely sealed back and sides, eg plenty like this, that I think would be great against rain ingress, but zero through air flow

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Log-Store-Fire-Stove-Log-Burner-/111574199219?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_3&hash=item19fa572bb3

Rockhopper
    Free Member

Whichever design you go for make it twice as big as you think it needs to be (and it still probably won’t be big enough for a full winters worth of logs!).

ourmaninthenorth

Long ‘n’ low

It’s on its second winter. Way better than the loose pile of logs and a tarpaulin that I had the first year.

Holds about 4m3.

EDIT: dimensions are (IIRC) 6m (l) x 0.8m (d) x 1m (sloping to 0.8m) (h). Don’t have any construction photos. but effectively it’s three 2m long modules screwed together. Base is a rectangular frame made of 3″x3″, with 6″x1″ slats that keep the wood off the floor and provide airflow. Roof is just 4″x1″ cut to length and screwed into the upper frame (made the same as the floor frame).

Wood was all new, tantalised stuff. Cost about £120 to build. I have a compound mite saw, so it made the 100+ cuts a relatively swift exercise.

There’s some bracing, but it wouldn’t take regular walking on from me (a child would be fine). I built the gate with leftovers to keep my daughter away from the gas cylinders/side gate to the outside world.

There’s nothing elegant about it, but it’s functional and it fits beneath the window (hence the height) and from the gas cylinders to the back of the house.

jonahtonto
    Free Member

pallets for base, pallets for back, pallet division every 2nd pallet. pallets for roof. basically 1 pallet deep, 2 pallets wide. corrugate on top for roof (or whatever is cheap, waterproof, and to hand) dries oak or beach in 12 months. ive gone through 12m3 this year, i havent got time to **** about making it pretty. cost – free, just like the wood that heated my 3 bed house. oh and smashed up pallets for kindling. building sites are happy to give pallets away
    sorry no pics, its getting kinda empty now

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

The topic ‘Show me your log stores!’ is closed to new replies.