Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)
  • Show me your Ibis Mojo's….
  • littlegirlbunny
    Free Member

…and tell me about your set-up please. In particular, do I need a 160 mm up front, or will it run well with a set of Pikes? If you have a small frame, if you don’t mind, could you provide a guideline of build (height and long limbed or long torso’d).

After being put off several 140 mm bikes recently for various reasons (orange – difficult sizing, old design, cube – crap shock location, difficulty getting a test ride/bike, giant erm, just a bit to fugly, although it rode really well etc etc) I am now seriously considering a Mojo.

Ta very muchly 😀

cinnamon_girl

Here’s mine, a small. I’m 5’5″ with short body, long legs and long arms. I’ll happily admit to being totally overbiked but the frame was from Classifieds and I just couldn’t resist!

You’re very welcome to try mine for size, and indeed, show it some gnarrrrr. 😉 Currently near Swinley Forest but soon moving westwards. E-mail in profile.

cinnamon_girl

140mm fork, RP23 shock, Hope Pro3’s with DT hubs, Hope Pro brakes with carbon levers, carbon seat post, XT. Weight around 26.5 lbs.

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middling Edition

Fresh Goods Friday 696: The Middlin...
    Latest Singletrack Videos
    littlegirlbunny
    Free Member

That appears to be the bike that I have been looking for all my life.

*is in love*

Very nice cinnamon_girl! I would love to have a sit on/pootle on it. 26.5 lb is obscenely light for a 140 mm fs!

Kahurangi

I’ll make no secret about wanting a mojo.

c_g – I’m sure many people have said this before, so at the risk of sounding egregious; you have your levers pointed waay up!

littlegirlbunny
    Free Member

pfft – levers look spot on to me

slack wrists is where it’s at!

rickmeister

Heres mine, second hand frame built up with stuff off my old bike.

Fox 36 150 talas
    Reverb dropper post now fitted
    GUB ceramic bb
    Crossmax ST wheels
    Renthal Fatbar, hope stem
    Renthal 36t chain ring, Raceface cranks
    XT shadow mech, SRAM cassette
    Hope M4 brakes and floating rotors

Moonhead
    Free Member

CG, Nice bike,

I know over rotation is best avoided but those levers do look a bit horizontal, having said that it must work for you!

ljs1977
    Free Member

cube – crap shock location

Buy a carbon guard for £40?

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

cube – crap shock location

Yep, someone’s been telling you porky pies. I ride mine regularly in the Yorkshire sh1t and grime with the larger standard mudguard and the shock gets no more covered in mud than any other full sus bike I’ve owned (Ellsworth Moment and Kona Dawg, which both had the shock on the other side of the seat tube).
    Nice bike tho, good luck with it.

Moonhead
    Free Member

The Cube shock location does put me off too, even with the guard it must be more prone to crap ultimately wearing the seals? Maybe Cube owners know better.

LBG, what about a Zesty 514 up or a Canyon Nerve XC? Granted the head angle is 69 and they are 120mm but maybe you could live with that?!?

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

Well, the statement itself is not wrong, it is a crap location, But what’s being inferred/implied is not correct IME. Make of that what you want, I suppose.

CaptainFlashheart
    Free Member

Show me your Ibis Mojo’s

what?

dreednya

Here is mine. Built up slightly heavier than it was originally and now weighs in at 27.5 lbs with a KS900 seat post replacing the gravity dropper.

2010 Rev Team 150
    Formula The One MY10s
    King hubs with Flows
    V1 745 bars
    SRAM XX shifters, front mech and chainset
    SRAM X0 rear mech
    XT 11-36 cassette
    Tyres are now hutchinson Toro rear and Maxxis Minion front – both run tubeless

littlegirlbunny
    Free Member

No-one had been telling me ‘porky pies’. Unbelievably I do have the ability to look at a bike and think more than, ‘oh, that’s no good, the colour doesn’t match my nail varnish’. 😉

I don’t want to pay £40 for a crud guard if the design is flawed enough for UK riding that an additional bolt on option is a necessity, and you don’t get it for free! Then the bike looses brownie points on my ‘shortlist’. So does the fact getting a test ride was a no-go when I asked at the LBS.

Moonhead – Member

The Cube shock location does put me off too, even with the guard it must be more prone to crap ultimately wearing the seals? Maybe Cube owners know better.

LBG, what about a Zesty 514 up or a Canyon Nerve XC? Granted the head angle is 69 and they are 120mm but maybe you could live with that?!?

I have been very tempted by a Zesty, but the BB and bearing horror stories have put me off tbh. A male version is a definite no as it will be too long in the tt, but the WSD is pretty nice.

I love the look of the Canyon since seeing the review in the mag, but I suspect I’ll soon be out of my depth with 120 mm up front. Would be interesting to know how it handles with the 140 mm on the front though.

rickmeister = I like the red and black, looks nice 🙂 How do you find it as a bike?

fbk
    Free Member

LGB – I can certainly recommend a Zesty. Mine’s just bedding in after Kielder last weekend and it’s lovely 🙂 ….

…I did have a quick look at a Mojo but a frame and fork would’ve cost almost as much as I paid for the whole 714.

Happy hunting

likeomg
    Free Member

i think 2pure (ibis dealer) are having a demo weekend this weekend at kielder; or you could call your local ibis dealer and they can get a bike for you in any size/ frame HD140/160 etc… for a weekend to ride.

rickmeister

Its very very supple and thats on used forks, not new ones. Being able to wind them down helps a lot. Changing the fork length has a significant effect on the handling between going up or descending. I think the old style links gave some rear flex but the Lopes Links are solid. Climbs really well, responds to being hammered down things as well as happy in slo-mo techy picky descents. Running fat Nobby Nics from my old bike but I think a narrower tyre may be better to clear the rear triangle. Having said that I spent a long time taping the frame to protect it.

I thought that it would be noisy for some reason but its very quiet. Its nicely balanced and responds well to moving around on the bike to weight/unweight it. I like it, the dilemma is stack height of spacers under the stem or none at all.

The only not so good thing is the cable routing. Its along the top of the top tube which I like but it could all be neater. New frames are better and include a dropper post cable guide. I drilled all these out on my frame to run full length cable outers. New frames have cables/hydraulic lines on the underside of the downtube. i dont like this based on rocks fired into this area on occasions…

Overall, I love it. I am 5’8 on a medium frame with a 80mm stem. If your around Edinburgh your welcome to have a shot….

It weighs 26lbs with the reverb seatpost and a small toolbag under the saddle. I weigh considerably more!

The Bike Chain in Edinburgh is selling these frames at £1100… or almost £700 off… billy bargain…

pjt201
    Free Member

is it law that if you own a mojo you have to put horrible things like front fenders or a saddlebag on it? are they the new marins?

vinnyeh

140mm Floats on my regular Mojo were fine.
    Only got 150mm Revs on my newer HD140

Old..

New..

littlegirlbunny
    Free Member

Cheers FBK – tbh, I have been reconsidering the Zesty option after hearing you had one. Although I may leave it a couple of months and see how bad the bearings are, heh heh. It’s a shame they only do the WSD in the 514 as I would’ve gone with the 714 myself. We aren’t good enough to get the option of decent kit, clearly 😉

Likeomg – unfortunately we don’t have an Ibis dealer close by and kielder is miles away. Although cinnamon girl has offered me a test ride on hers so I’ll prolly go with that option as I’ll get to meet another STW lady at the same time 😀

Dreednya – again, very nice. XX kit in all!

vinnyeh

is it law that if you own a mojo you have to put horrible things like front fenders or a saddlebag on it? are they the new marins?

Like this? 🙂

cinnamon_girl

Thanks for the interest in my levers! I use Ergon grips to protect my girlie wrists and they work just fine. 🙂

littlegirlbunny
    Free Member

Rickmeister – thanks for the good info. Very interesting. Interesting to hear about the climbing ability and adjustable forks. Either way it’s gotta be better than my current bike at getting uphill! I know about TBC, unfortunately they only have a green one left, and I just can’t bring myself to go with green (sorry vinnyeh!). Unfortunately I’m down south otherwise I would’ve had a looksie at it in real life.

I don’t think I need to go the HD route as it’s not going to be used for DH and 140 mm is more than enough for most of my riding, without being total overkill at trail centres.

rickmeister

You sure? They are showing a small and medium frame on their web office page right now… blue and Guiness foam

http://www.thebikechain.co.uk/Ibis-Mojo-S-Nuclear-Pesto-20091203010202/

B.A.Nana
    Free Member

LGB, did my post read like some patronising bloke?, sorry not intended I assure you. I admit, I’ve yet to experience how long the bushes last on the shock.

druidh
    Free Member

Rick – the only small one left is in Green and LGB would deffo need a small.

I always fancied the blue….

rickmeister

Evening Colin.. just done a proper check, yep.. your right as usual !

dreednya

Mine only has the front fenders because I wear contact lens and with the riding in Wales being generally on the wet and gloopy side most of the year, they are a real bonus. Grit in an eye with contact lens when travelling at up to 30 mph down the final descent of the ClimachX trail does not come highly recommended………. If I did not wear contact lens then I would not have the fenders – I managed perfectly well without them before contacts.

Had the bike nearly two years and my riding is still growing into it and continually amazes me as to what it can do. The Heckler I had before I cracked the downtime, felt at times, that I was reaching its limits – not so the Mojo. So highly recommended in any build, though I do prefer a slightly heavier build so the bike is in the trail rather than skating across the top.

rickmeister

dreednya… I am also a contact lens wearer and know what you mean about grit. I solved teh problem with one of those Rapid Racer / Neoguard stretchy things that go between the fork crown and fork bridge just above the tyre…. very efective catching teh crud thrown forward by teh front wheel…. and tidies your bike lines up.

HTH

geetee1972
    Free Member

Hi Bunnygirl

Are you sure you don’t want the HD? I’ve seen the pictures of you riding and it certainly looks like you’d be easily at home on one!

I’ve ridden HeiHei’s HD in different guises and it very good indeed. I can’t comment on sizes are relevant to you, but when you line up a medium Ibis Mojo next to some other brands’ mediums, the Ibis comes in just a little bit smaller, specifically quite short in the reach (as in reach and stack). They are not unlike Santa Cruz’s Nomad in this respect.

The HD is basically the same design as the other Mojos cited here and it climbs pretty well although there does still seem to be quite a bit of movement from the rear when seated and pedaling. You would sort of expect that given that it performs so well on square edge hits where you can really feel the rear wheel getting out of the way and it doesn’t bob or wallow any worse than say a horst link bike. It does seem though that it takes a little time to get it set up right; that is, any small errors in the set up are very noticeable on the trail, whereas my Nicolai doesn’t tend to let you know if you’re not at the optimum setting.

Speaking of which have you thought about a Nic? Given you’re looking for a specific size you would have the option of having something tailored if you couldn’t get a frame in a stock size. For your needs I am guessing the Helius AC would fit the bill.

DeeJay
    Free Member

SL in large for me.

150 forks on mine and a I have replaced the stem with a 70mm 10deg rise one and fitted all the spacers I can – It has taken a while to get the bike to feel right for me as it felt quite harsh at speed and too steep on techy descents. I think the HD 140 would have been better for me but after much messing I have got it to feel really nice. Final weight came out at 25.2lbs

jontydewolfe
    Free Member

what about a mojo slr? regular mojo is a pretty dated design and it’s days are numbered

resisted
    Free Member

I can’t get the photo of mine off the dog (‘n’ bone) 🙁 but I’ll give a brief rundown of why I love it so much.

Brief spec:

Mojo SL large
    150mm Rev U-turn RLCTi Maxle
    DT EX1750 wheelset (mountain king / race king 2.2 UST)
    X.0 running gear
    XTR chainset
    Thomson Stem/Post
    700mm Carbon Bars
    Gobi Carbon
    XT brakes with 180/160 prototype Aztec floaty rotors

weight is about 25lbs with this spec.

I’m 6’1″ with 35″ inside leg, but short torso and arms. I demo’d an XL but I found the TT just a tad long, tried it with a 50mm stem and it was just wrong, almost didn’t buy it because it felt so odd. Tried a large with an 80mm stem and it was spot on! have to run the seatpost at near max extension but it just works and fits me so well.

Originally ran it with a 140mm fork, but the 150 does make it just feel better, takes the edge off the angles as I find it sits quite deep into it’s travel and isn’t slack by any means. 0degree stem and 15mm rise bars.

The bike is a rocket ship, not hugely stiff when you really push it, but I personally wouldn’t run it with anything flimsier than the 1750’s (then again I am 14 1/2 stone). Only thing that ever gets changed is tyres (although it’s likely the race king will need to be cut off 😮 ). And I’ve got a Joplin for the odd occasion.

Buy one, you won’t regret it. Alternatively, buy the HD140, I think I will be. So if anyone wants a large, white SL with blue links, get in touch!

quentinfarquar
    Free Member

Mine’s an XL frame and is about 4-5 years old now. It was a full build as insurance replacement. I went for the 140 pikes as the guy in the shop at the time reakoned 160’s was too much.

I ride it all year round in North Yorkshire mud and so far I have not replaced anything other than bearings on frame and pedals last year when adding the Lopes link, but to be honest the frame ones were okay. I probably should have got the large frame, but again sales advice was for this frame. I put a shorter stem on 60mm and a gravity dropper a couple of years ago, and it made a massive difference. Best allround bike I have had, before it I had a Blur LT (stolen), Patriot (stolen) and 2 sub 5’s (stolen).

dreednya

Cheers rockmeister, i used to run a Neoguard, but found it to be less effective on a Manitou minute I had on there before. I think attaching it to the rear arch did not stop as much crud flying up as it would when the arch is forward as in a Fox or Rockshox. May give it a try again as the Peaty guard has big cracks in it due to the many offs it has had to endure 🙂

littlegirlbunny
    Free Member

Thanks all, for the photos and details on builds 🙂 They all look lovely. I’m currently no further forward in deciding on what trail bike to get (if anything I’m more confused than ever), but the mojo is definitely staying in the running at least until I have test ridden cinnamon_girls.

geetee1972 – thanks for the post. I’m really looking for something that is a pedally all day machine, can be used for enduros (if I ever do one!) but that is also not going to be too much bike for trail centres and flying about singletrack. I have just bodged my Marin Attack back together, but, tbh, it just feels like way too much bike for what I need. Sure, it descends like a demon and actually jumps really well, but it just feels like such a beast now. The fact that the current build is at 35 lb doesn’t help, but I am holding off spending any decent money on kit as I don’t think it’ll overcome the want for something, erm, tighter and I am trying to stay out of the trap of loosing that for more forgiving descending. BUT then again, I’m so used to riding tanks, pretty much anything built up properly is probably going to feel like a dream to climb on 😆

The Nicolai option I will look into. One thing is for sure, I love industrial looking bikes, and the AC’s really do fit the bill.

I’m not in a big rush, but, on the other hand, I do want to get back to some epic riding before the winter sets in again. So any input it much appreciated!

psychle
    Free Member

My HD140 in fluoro Vitamin P… 28lbs on the LBS digital scales, so very light for what it is. Currently running 160mm Devilles up front with 140mm out the back, works very well. Will be sourcing a coil shock for the rear to give the me the 160mm option

DSCF4239 by ten_sim, on Flickr

Definitely consider the Mojo SL-R, probably what I would’ve gone for if it’d been available to me if I’m honest. Having said that, perfectly happy with the HD variant, a really versatile frame!

ianpinder
    Free Member

The mojo hd is very capable all day bike it an be built up into a 26lb trail ripper. Obviously I can recommend a nicolai owning 3 myself, strong, capable, peddles very well, expensive, though you can get the sizing perfect. The ac can be built around 26lbs too, and you won’t need to be worried about stregth.

rickmeister

I would love an SLR…

Or the HD with the Limbo Chips…

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 41 total)

The topic ‘Show me your Ibis Mojo's….’ is closed to new replies.