Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)
  • Show me your Croix de Fer pics
  • Vader
    Free Member

Sorely tempted…they look superb.

Anybody upgraded there’s? Lighter wheels maybe?

slimjim78
    Free Member

Show me your Croix de Fer pics

No.

jimjam
    Free Member

Ah the old croaks dee fur.

jackthedog
    Free Member

Don’t have one myself so no pics to share but my mate has one and I think it’s ace. Bit heavier than you think it’s going to be, but a great bike. Comfortable, capable, ride all day, versatile. Really nice.

glenh
    Free Member

Vader
    Free Member

😀 @ glenh

slimjim78
    Free Member

ive heard they are fab.

mrmo
    Free Member

oldgit
    Free Member

Tomorrow.
    Taking it out for a shakedown on the local trails Saturday.
    It weighs a ton, but it was built with many old parts. If it’s alright I’ll upgrade as and when. Hoping the hydros work as well as expected.

maxray
    Free Member

IMAG1121 by Sush Kelly, on Flickr

I love mine 🙂

oldgit
    Free Member

If I don’t like it, it’s going straight onto fleabay

mattsccm
    Free Member

Or you could offer it to me first.

rOcKeTdOg

How long are your fingers oldgit?

oldgit
    Free Member

How long are your fingers oldgit?

Ahh they actually overlap the levers, in fact they’re far far easier to reach than STIs on a normal set up, as on my ‘proper’ crosser. I’ve lost the riding on the hoods position though, but that’s compensated for by the fact the hydros just need a slight touch from the tops.

Best thing is the bar end shifters in friction mode. For two reasons. One you can dump lots of gears in one go, and two you have the ability to trim the gear for smooth running.
    I’ve coupled an MTB rear mech and cassette to a road chainset which means I can ‘really’ get up tricky climbs. Though I do have a road mech and cassette spare for certain rides.
    Probably the biggest regret might be getting cheap wheels as they are hefty. That said I’m hoping they keep the bike stable on rough ground, as a true crosser tends to ‘ping’ all over the shop.

Off out soon. Long road section to a trail park then a ride around Woburn.

MrOvershoot

Taken 2 years ago while touring the canals of Brittany 🙂

oldgit
    Free Member

Now I’ve ridden my race crosser and this in the same week over the same course.
    The Croix De Fer custom build. Firstly it rides far quicker than it’s weight suggests, in fact over hardpack it’s buttery smooth. On the road it reminded me of the old steel bikes I rode in the 70’s, comfy and smooth rolling.
    At the trail park it coped with everything, due to a combination of MTB gearing, wide Midge bars and hydros. In fact once I’d got used to doing everything in the drops the bike got quicker, and for a change I had full control on the decents with just one finger covering the rear brake. Once at the bottom I just pushed the gear lever with the heel of my hand and successfuly climbed up the other side. On everything else the steel frame, heavy wheels running 32’s at 60psi kept it smooth. In fact I kept wondering why this wouldn’t be quick at racing?
    As I was about to head home on the road it became very windy, so I was dreading what I thought might be a haul home, but again it was fine. The Midges give a great position for just hauling along.
    I’d drop the 50t out for a 46t ring, and I’d stick with the 34/46 combined with the rear mtb gearing. i also wouldn’t lighten it if I was using it off road, it’s weight is what gives it it’s stability and ride qualities.
    The only thing wrong with mine was the non standard front disc, which meant I wasn’t getting full power, but that’s about it.
    I doub’t if I’ll keep it though as I need a winter training bike, but it has reminded me how nice steel is for ‘just’ riding.

Vader
    Free Member

thanks oldgit, sounds great!

mr overshoot, i like the sound of french canals. Mais oui.

Viewing 17 posts - 1 through 17 (of 17 total)

The topic ‘Show me your Croix de Fer pics’ is closed to new replies.