Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 108 total)
  • Show me your Christmas Airfix…
  • matt_outandabout

(or similar builds)
    This is middle OAB’s first effort, all his own handiwork.

Airfix by matt_outandabout, on Flickr

Airfix by matt_outandabout, on Flickr

derek_starship
    Free Member

Cue Harry the Spider….

redthunder
    Free Member
    Harry_the_Spider

oh, hello.

Work in progress.

Got these too.

crankboy
    Free Member

Ok how do I post pics from photobucket ?

Harry_the_Spider

Use the bottom link of the four that you are offered.

bearnecessities

Right click over the image > Select ‘copy image location’ > navigate to here to post > Click IMG box > press ‘ctrl’ and ‘v’ at the same time to paste > Click ‘Send post’ as usual

crankboy
    Free Member

crankboy
    Free Member

Yay thanks . And thanks harry for the scalextrics / scx tips two months ago harry had a fab Xmas thanks to them .

matt_outandabout

Oooh, pics of the Mig 29 when done!

Harry_the_Spider

And thanks harry for the scalextrics / scx tips two months ago harry had a fab Xmas thanks to them .

No problem. 😀

Scalextric Party at mine in a couple of days. 100ft track, 50 cars and boys aged from 6 to 74. We’re doing Top Gear style Power Laps then having a head to head knock out tournament. Last year it was won by a 5 year old called Alex

…we’re not having him back.

Squidlord
    Free Member

Just started this today:

Thanks sis-in-law, you know what I like!

matt_outandabout

Middle OAB and I are in awe of some of the skillz on this thread.

Coyote
    Free Member

The cub and I are mid way through a Mitsubishi A6M2b Zero. Once that’s done and hanging next to the Curtiss P40 Tomahawk we can start on the Red Arrows Hawk. Sorted? Oh yes.

john_drummer
    Free Member

currently working on Guy Gibson’s Lancaster B.III in 1/72 scale

but here are some I did earlier…

The Sherman, Panther & M10 are Tamiya; the M18 Hellcat is Academy. Sherman in 1:48, the rest 1:35

crankboy
    Free Member

houndlegs
    Free Member

Can you buy these things ready painted,or do they all need to be painted separately?
    Quite like the idea of building something,but the painting really doesn’t appeal to me.

crankboy
    Free Member

The painting is a big part of it but despite the photos I have posted hand painting with limited talent does look good to the eye if not the camera . The really stunning ones you see are done with spray guns thin washes and infinite time and skill.

I have not seen any pre painted kits.

john_drummer
    Free Member

No, they come unpainted. My Panther tank was airbrushed with a wash of dark yellow, then the camo pattern was sprayed freehand with dark green on a very fine needle. The US tanks are simply dark green overall or in the case of the M18, pale olive drab.

it can be done with a paintbrush but you need a big brush and very thin paint

rene59
    Free Member

Can you buy these things ready painted,or do they all need to be painted separately?

http://www.airfix.com/shop/quick-build/

No Glue…No Paint…Just BUILD!

Not quite the same though.

twoniner
    Free Member

That’s it, I have to go and buy one today 😀

john_drummer
    Free Member

A word of advice… some of the older Airfix kits are woeful. Better try something from Revell, Tamiya, Academy, Hasegawa, Trumpeter

john_drummer
    Free Member

…however, Airfix kits of more recent subjects (e.g. harrythespider’s Typhoon & Mig29) should be ok. Just stay away from their WWII and earlier offerings, and their 1:32 “vintage” cars, especially those in a “Haynes Manual” box.

Some of Revell’s offerings are reboxed Mathbox kits from the late 70s / early 80s and have raised rather than recessed panel lines – e.g the 1:32 Spitfire, Beaufighter and Mustang.

1:72 is the ‘traditional’ scale for aircraft & tanks but I prefer 1:48 for aircraft & 1:35 for tanks, 1:24 for cars & 1:12 for motorcycles

jfletch
    Free Member

That “quick build” stuff looks like all the worst bits of lego*, combined with the worst bits of airfix** into one horendous product.

*The worst bit about lego being the “bespoke” pannels that can’t be used in other self-build models

**The worst bit about Airfix being that once they are done, that is it, the end of the fun.

one_happy_hippy
    Free Member

This thread has sealed it for me! I woke up the other day to reclaim my childhood and build some models and have been looking on the airfix site and I’m going to have to buy a Vulcan and a Lancaster (new tooling) to build. I built a Lancaster nigh on 20 years ago and can’t wait now!

z1ppy

I got one of these, though I think they were taking the pee, out of my tank obsession (I just think there great). I’ll have a go, but it won’t get painted to the standards of John D’s work

I apologize for bringing a Dragon kit, into airfix thread BTW

Harry_the_Spider

This thread has sealed it for me! I woke up the other day to reclaim my childhood and build some models and have been looking on the airfix site and I’m going to have to buy a Vulcan and a Lancaster (new tooling) to build. I built a Lancaster nigh on 20 years ago and can’t wait now!

I’d start on a £5.00 Spitfire first! I picked one up for the first time in 30 years a couple of months back and made a right mess of it. 😀

http://www.jadlamracingmodels.com/c-474-model-kits.aspx?pagenum=&section=-76-&SearchTerm=&sortBy=priceascending&pageSize=20

john_drummer
    Free Member

I’d start on a £5.00 Spitfire first! I picked one up for the first time in 30 years a couple of months back and made a right mess of it.

silk purse, sow’s ear & all that 😉

but it won’t get painted to the standards of John D’s work

TBH the allied tanks are an all-over green you could do with a spray can if you leave the tracks off until the end. Mine are pretty much “out of the box” and I haven’t even started on ‘weathering’…

Harry_the_Spider

silk purse, sow’s ear & all that

True… but for getting your “eye in” practice they are better than a big expensive jobby.

Here is the BF109 that I abandoned after experimenting with my poor painting technique. I may try and rescue it.

Typhoon is coming along. Thanks for the “big brush” tip.

kja78
    Free Member

Airfix Mosquito NF Mk2. Four 20mm cannon, four .303 machine guns, top speed of 370mph and onboard radar. You didn’t want to be a nazi pilot over the UK with these about at night. Built whilst watching 633 sqn the other day. Brush painted with Tamiya Acrylics.

Also got given a Revell USS Voyager by the wifey, which is going to be huge when built up.

Regards the quality/buildability of Airfix kits – the newly tooled stuff is superb, if you fancy a Spit then model no A02010 is great. Or there’s a new Mustang, Tomahawk, ME109, Typhoon etc etc. If using one of the starter kits stir the paint really really well and dilute with about 30% water.

Harry_the_Spider

I like that! It has a certain “don’t **** with us” quality about it.

john_drummer
    Free Member

that 109 is looking good, get it finished! tip for WWII German fighter wing upper camo schemes – paint the upper surface in the paler shade of green & leave it 24 hours. Then use Tamiya masking tape (not the stuff from B&Q!) to mark out the straight lines, then paint the darker green bits in between the tape. Leave 24 hours & then remove the tape. perfect camo!

the fuselage looks bob on to me

give it all a thin wash of GLOSS varnish (Revell Acrylic #01) before you do the decals, and allow to dry. apply the decals, then another coat of gloss. Then a coat of matt (Revell Acrylic #02)

Acrylic paints are water soluble, much easier to manage

go up a scale too! 1:48 has fewer really small parts, and yet the opportunity for more detail…

natrix
    Free Member

whilst watching 633 sqn

The french chateau that the mosquito’s bomb at the end of the film is actually Minley Manor, where the Torq 12:12 enduro is held in August. (and not many people know that………..)

piemonster

Bloody hell, I thought at least some of you was sort of normalish.

*meant with affection.

**you model nerds 🙂

john_drummer
    Free Member

Also got given a Revell USS Voyager by the wifey, which is going to be huge when built up.

I’ve got their Battlestar Galactica to go at when the Lanc’s finished

kja78
    Free Member

She wouldn’t buy me the galactica as she didn’t like the series!

john_drummer
    Free Member

they do two different Vipers* as well. Shame they don’t do a “toaster” or a Cylon attack fighter thingy

* I think they’re rebranded Mobius kits, I have a MkII Viper from Mobius, not yet got the Mk VII

goon
    Free Member

I got the Revell 1/32 Lynx for Christmas last year, working on it this year.

Still a good way to go yet…

john_drummer
    Free Member

wiring looms?!?! 😯
    and how much photoetch?

I bet that’s not just OOB. Niiiice work

Viewing 40 posts - 1 through 40 (of 108 total)

The topic ‘Show me your Christmas Airfix…’ is closed to new replies.