• This topic has 31 replies, 17 voices, and was last updated 7 years ago by cokie.
Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)
  • Show me your Bird Zero
  • leythervegas
    Free Member

I’m about to order a Zero TR (almost definitely – late bid from the Orange Crush is confusing matters) so would like to see some good pictures of yours if possible. The pictures on the website are funny angled postage stamp sized and its annoying. Any feedback would be appreciated too. Cheers.

thegreatape
    Free Member

I just can’t get Flickr photos to post any more so can’t help you there, but I’ve got a Mk1 Zero and I think it’s great 🙂

mechanicaldope

Also got a mk1, also can’t post pictures (no Flickr account), also had an orange crush as it’s rival, also think it is great. If it got nicked or anything I would replace it with another Bird without a moments hesitation. Get it. There is no way on earth you will be disappointed.

monde
    Free Member

Mk 1 Zero. Use it more than the full sus as its more fun!
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/JBzrJJ]20150208_103303[/url] by monde35, on Flickr
    [url=https://flic.kr/p/K3pvzK]20140927_180026[/url] by monde35, on Flickr

chiefgrooveguru

This was before it got muddy, back in January. It hasn’t been clean since!

Gnarpooned Zero AM (-2 deg headset and 130mm fork).

alextemper
    Free Member

Zero Mk1 AM

nairnster
    Free Member

Slight hijack. Can owners tell me if the decals are under the clear coat? Also looking at a TR but the white decals are putting me off.

muttley109
    Free Member

I’m pretty sure you have already seen this over on bikeradar but no harm in seeing it again!

Bird Zero TR

poah
    Free Member

ignore the cables, they’ve been sorted since the photo was taken

leythervegas
    Free Member

Some good looking bikes there.

Muttley109 how are you finding the x-fusion forks? I think I will be going for the revelation upgrade but interested to hear how they ride?

mechanicaldope

I have been very impressed by my Xfusion Sweep RL2’s. Would the Revelation really be an upgrade (are yours now with the Roughcut?) or are they just a ‘better’ name?

scuttler

@alextemper

That looks flippin ace. I’m generally indifferent to good looking bikes but yours certainly caught my eye.

thegreatape
    Free Member

nairnster – pretty sure they are, they’re not transfers on top of the paint anyway, but a smooth finish across the decals

muttley109
    Free Member

I haven’t tried the revelation forks but I can’t really see what they will offer over the x-fusion Streat RL2 for the extra money. The x-fusions have been great so far for general trail riding, i cant find any fault with them.
    If i was to upgrade then i’d go for a beefier fork like a Sweep roughcut or Pike. I was going to get the beefier fork to start but ran out of budget.

muttley109
    Free Member

Yeah the graphics are not stuck on they are under the clear coat so you cant remove them. The Zero TR’s have different graphics to the earlier MK1’s and I think the AM’s are differenct again?

nairnster
    Free Member

Thanks for replies about the decals. I like the black decals on the green TR, but am not struck on the white decals on the grey frame,which is the frame colour i really like.

leythervegas
    Free Member

What frame size have you got? I am 6ft 2 with inside leg 33″ and been recommended a large in the TR. Sound about right?

muttley109
    Free Member

I’m 5ft10 with 30″ leg on a medium so i’d say a large would be right for you

chiefgrooveguru

Yes, Bird seem to be one of the few companies where if you’re medium sized you buy a medium frame, large (in height) you buy a large frame, and so on!

moneytrain81
    Free Member

My 2016 Zero AM

Full disclosure, I am selling the frame after 3 months. Nothing against the actual frame, well kind of anyway. The problem is with Bird I guess. I used 2.8″ Nobby Nic tyres, as Bird advertise the frame as able to run them. So, I bought the AM. As the TR was not made for that usage.

However, despite the Nobby Nics being well known for not really being a full 2.8″ I had a layer of rubber on my chainstay yoke after a few very mild rides, plus the clearance either side was less than on the 2016 Ragley Mmmbop I had before it (a frame designed for 2.4″ max).

I emailed Bird and sent some pictures. They told me that they hadn’t had that problem and they would investigate that week. I wait a week, no reply. So send an email asking if they found anything out. Again I was told that they didn’t have that problem on their own bikes with those tyres. Which is not very helpful as I clearly did have that problem.

They asked for the setup I was using and I told them. That was a month ago. There has been no reply or anything from Bird.

I don’t doubt the ride of the frames as it is good, reviews tell you that. However my seattube is a very tight fit (as mentioned in a magazine review also) too. But I consider the service, such as it is, that I received to be not so great. Others of course will have better experiences I imagine. I always wanted an Aeris since they came out, but now I’d be wary of ordering again I feel.

As for sizing, I am 5’8″ and have a Medium. Running a 31mm stem. Sizing feels great.

thegreatape
    Free Member

I found phoning them more productive than emailing.

Nobeerinthefridge
    Free Member

Biscuits opened…..

muttley109
    Free Member

I emailed a few times and they did take a while to reply but it turns out that they were busy working every hour of the day building bikes to get them out to customers asap. I had an email from them at 7pm one night letting me know they had run out of the wheels I wanted so did I want a free upgrade and could I let them know so they could build my bike that night.
    My understanding is that Bird are only three guys that do everything. So whilst they might not be the quickest at replying I think they are still doing a bloody good job and are making cracking bikes.

coomber
    Free Member

If you want a quick response pick up the phone I’d say.

Euro
    Free Member

I am selling the frame after 3 months. Nothing against the actual frame

A wise man would run a narrower rear tyre.

nairnster
    Free Member

I dont see whay he would. He bought the frame as it stated it can run 2.8 tyres. He fitted some and they rub. Bird jave bsically admitted their frames dont rub, so why should he have to run a narrower tyre.

Stranga
    Free Member

[img]http://ep1.pinkbike.org/p4pb13707088/p4pb13707088.jp[/img]

moneytrain81
    Free Member

A wise man would run a narrower rear tyre.

No. A wise man would know what he was talking about before posting.

Funny how despite me not saying anything bad about the how the bike rides at all, and stating others will obviously have had different experiences than myself, people feel the need to get a little snarky.

Euro
    Free Member

No. A wise man would know what he was talking about before posting.

Funny how despite me not saying anything bad about the how the bike rides at all, and stating others will obviously have had different experiences than myself, people feel the need to get a little snarky.

You said you liked how it rode but a 2.8 tyre rubs a bit. You can sell the frame and lose some money or you can keep the frame (you said you liked) and buy a narrower tyre. A 2.4-2.6 tyre will not really alter how the bike rides. Most folk i know run a narrower tyre on the rear anyway. The cost of the tyre would be less than the money you lose buy selling the frame (not to mention your time/hassle of switching everything over). I don’t own a Bird or have any connection to the company – just trying to find the simplest solution to your problem. You call it snarky, i call it wisdom 😉

cokie

I like the look of these. Some very nice bikes in this thread.

I wish Ben would email me back about the 29er prototypes 😉 !

dubber
    Free Member

cokie – Member
    I like the look of these. Some very nice bikes in this thread.

I wish Ben would email me back about the 29er prototypes !

oooooh ….. like the sound of that , hardtail or F/S ?

cokie

Don’t get too excited dubber. It was a Bird proto but they decided it wasn’t for them and put it on ice (as far as I’m aware nothings changed in that regard).

Viewing 32 posts - 1 through 32 (of 32 total)

The topic ‘Show me your Bird Zero’ is closed to new replies.