Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)
  • Show me your Bike Workshop/Office solutions.
  • monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Needs must. I live in a two bedroom flat,so a two in one solution is required.Cheers for any pics etc.

UrbanHiker
    Free Member

Interested in this also.

maxray
    Free Member

I am trying to design a 2 in 1 shed come office space. Hoping it won’t be rubbish at both! Will keep eyes on this thread for inspiration 😉

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Looks like only a few of us are short of space.Is there any books with design ideas?

tomhoward

I’m no interior designer, but shirley ‘desk at one end, workbench & stand at t’other’ will work well?

I’ll send an invoice for my fee.

Alex

Depends how much room you have. We built this a few years ago.

Proposed site of door by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

Beer Fridge Shrine by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

It’s no longer painted in that Orange!

Office by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

Office side about finished.

I’m sat in the office side now, it’s a decent space. Workshop is also a good size and takes a few bikes 🙂

Workshop/Bike Store by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

Workshop/Bike Store by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

ShedOfDreams by Alex Leigh, on Flickr

Last pic is today. One before is five years ago. Notice not many of the same bikes!

it’s needs a bit of R snd R looking back at these pics, and I’ve added a bit more storage. There are about 15 RC gliders in the rafters and some carefully packed spares in a bit of the roof we boarded out.

tomhoward

Appropriate name for the last photo, say I

AlexSimon

Alex – could you do me a favour and measure the distance of one bike hook to the next and also the vertical offset you’ve created?

I’ve been trying to work out what to do on my shed wall without much success – there’s such variance between bikes (kids/adults/flats/drops/etc), but you seem to have got a good density of bikes in there 🙂

mangoridebike

Alex

Looks great, was that a custom build or off the shelf?

I’m looking into a similar thing at the moment so any additional information you’re able to share would be much appreciated. email in profile if you’re able to

Thanks

mcmoonter
    Free Member

Lovin’ Alex’s shed.

Alex

Offset is about 35cm. That’s more how many hooks I needed divided by available wall space. But it worked out well even with the wider bars I have now. Easier as I can space these between Road/CX and my Daughter’s ickle Turner.

The bikes on the far (left) end don’t get ridden much hence being placed on that side.

Vertical distance, I just used the height of the hook which is about 25mm. Again works well, the 29ers need to be on the higher hooks. There’s *just* enough room for the 29inch wheels below the boarded out area in the rafters. Not by design.

A company in Hereford did it for us. We insulated it ourselves (floor, roof, walls and we paid a sparky I think for two days to wire it. Cost was about 5.5k for materials and build which is pretty cheap. Windows aren’t great and I keep thinking about getting new ones, and the main door needs replacing as it’s warped. But in 5 years – other than giving it a coat of ducksback every spring, really done nothing to it at all.

Alex

This year I’m going to finish painting the office – it was like working in a sauna in terms of the colour – three sides done in 5 years 😉 and resand/reseal the floor in both sides, fit a new door and do some tidying up.

We used plasterboard on the workshop side with battons behind for hooks etc but it’s looking a bit tired. I’m not plastering it tho! Might just get some new platerboard and do the worse bits again.

@mango – email also in profile if you want more info (sizes etc). I’ll need to go dig out the paperwork so might take a while. There was a slab here already (for stables) so we used that. I really wanted to go the whole way to teh end of the slab but we ran out of money before we ran out of slab 😉

Oh I do remember asking the company you see on the way to Afan (old CP) to quote. Nice fellas, but wanted 20k!

AlexSimon

Thanks for the dimensions – I’ll see if it will work for me.

Alex

The most important thing is to leave a space so you can get the frame tubes through without having to navigate a thicket of bars. I tend to stick the bike on the rear wheel, roll it in and lift it onto the hook. Still need to be a bit careful taking them down otherwise it’s all bars in spokes and that never ends well…

AlexSimon

Yep – bikes are spiky things.
    I had the really annoying realisation a while ago that a ‘heap of bikes’ leaned against the wall is about twice as space-efficient as hanging.
    Only downside is that you may need to move 2 bikes to get to one (and you can’t sweep the floor).
    I’m still contemplating what’s more important – space or bike access.

Alex

I’m too OCD to have them stacked against the wall 😉

Dickyboy

Alex – what wall brackets are you using there? – was thinking of exact same staggered wall mounting in my garage, thanks

Alex

I can’t remember. They were called Leonardo or something. Seen similar in Halfords.

EDIT: Found them 🙂

http://www.halfords.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_storeId_10001_catalogId_10151_productId_920651_langId_-1_categoryId_242557

maxray
    Free Member

Cor! Very nice Alex. Sadly I don’t have that much room, probably about 16′ by 12-14′ depending.

davosaurusrex

Top shedding Alex! Is your daughter outgrowing that Turner yet?

paulrockliffe
    Free Member

Get some extruded aluminium tracks across the walls at a few heights and mount the hooks so that they can slide along the track. That way you can slide the bikes apart to create the space you need.

monkeycmonkeydo
    Free Member

Still not seen what I,m after.I think my social landlord would not appreciate itif I built a shed on the communal gardens.

Alex

Dave – that’s her second turner 🙂 Based on how much taller than her mum is, I think this will be the last summer on this one. Soon she’ll be riding my 29ers!

davosaurusrex

Is that the one that was reputed to belong to Dave Turner’s missus? The one I was after first dibs on? 😉

Viewing 24 posts - 1 through 24 (of 24 total)

The topic ‘Show me your Bike Workshop/Office solutions.’ is closed to new replies.