Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)
  • Show me your bathrooms!
  • BillMC

I’m just about to have the bath pulled out and a walk in shower installed in the place I’m just buying. GF made the comment about resale but I haven’t had a bath in years (!) and why just do things for others’ taste? Magnolia everywhere? However, I was rather more concerned about Stoner’s observations re convection blasts. My shower will be a walk-in with a wet room screen which hopefully doesn’t set up the same eddies and currents. Incidentally Grohe have got a good shower deal on for this month and if you’re buying stuff, check out ‘Ergonomicdesigns’ as I found their stuff much better and much better priced than the Bathstore.

trail_rat
    Free Member

tbh if your house has got the right things going for it a shower/bath will make naff all difference

we looked at some that were marginally acceptable but the lack of a bath put us off.

we looked at 1 that ticked all the right boxes bar the shower/bath one and it didnt take much convincing that we didnt really care for the bath in the end …. so i wouldnt let that put you off unless your on a high turn around street and all the houses have baths as you will then be at a disadvantage

Stoner
    Free Member

richc – when you install an Ikea oak top, never ever use their own wood treatment – it’s water based and is rubbish at sealing the wood grain. Use 5-10 coats of Danish Oil. Its long lasting, gets right into the grain, has plenty of solids to build up and is very waterproof. Keeps the oak looking spot on.

as for two sinks, if you have the space, why not? when you’re both getting ready for snuggle-time it’s great not getting in each other’s way. Esp when the Mrs takes half an hour and you just want a splash and dash.

In the flat we had a fantastic old victorian vanity double basin on enamelled legs. Looked ace.

packer
    Free Member

@Stoner – I have those worktops in my kitchen and they have been treated with the Ikea wood treatment. they need regularly re-doing to keep them waterproof which is a pain…
    Do you think I could just switch to using the Danish Oil you recommended, or would I need to remove the Ikea stuff (i.e. by sanding them down to bare wood again) before applying it?

Stoner
    Free Member

Id give them a light sand, but with not too fine a grit or you’ll close the grain up. A wipe with a clean damp rag. Leave to dry. The Ikea stuff doesnt really get into the wood much and it certainly doesnt build on top so I doubt youd need to do much to get the grain of the wood open again.

Danish takes time to apply and build. I use a sponge and green scourer pad.

Apply coats with the sponge, evenly. Allow to dry and gently buff with the scourer (takes off any dust particles or “lumpy” bits of oil) before applying the next coat. Do this for as long as you arent bored. Minimum 3 or 4 coats, if you want a really long lasting finish then go for 5+

packer
    Free Member

Thanks for the tips!

Bunnyhop

+1 for never removing the bath – it will put off loads of people from buying the property.

What he said.

If its a small bathroom forget fitted furniture, just have the loo, basin and bath (small size if necessary)with shower over.

Bunnyhop

May I also suggest having underfloor heating, as I radiator in small space takes up room. Oh and it’s so yummy on your tootsies.

Onzadog
    Free Member

The rest of the house is also small. The idea of fitted furniture is to store towels and laundry in there.

footflaps

I’ve got a decent power shower over the bath (not enough room for to have a separate one) and don’t see any disadvantage of it over a shower cubicle – more space (the whole bath) and the shower works just as well..

Viewing 10 posts - 41 through 50 (of 50 total)

The topic ‘Show me your bathrooms!’ is closed to new replies.