Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)
  • show me your alpines or sovereigns
  • paulo6624
    Free Member

Planning on building a new ht over the next couple of weeks, thinking of one of the above.
    Let’s see yours for some inspiration

Fortunateson09
    Free Member

My old Sovereign, since retired.

I flipping loved that bike – mega versatile and the most engaging ride ever. It taught me pretty much everything I know about bike control. Steeper head angle than an Alpine, so a bit less stable at speed, but much more lively everywhere.

paulo6624
    Free Member

Nice looking bike mate,Love the colour

coogan
    Free Member

Love my Alpine. Fantastic bike. It looked like this when first built. New bars, brakes, cranks etc since then. Had it over 5 years and no plan to replace it. It’s too much of a larf.

paulo6624
    Free Member

Is it a 16″ frame coogan?

kudos100
    Free Member

Had both, Sov is the best by a mile.

coogan
    Free Member

That’s a good question, yes, I think it is. I can’t remember. Did there used to be a choice of top tube length in the MK1’s?

mundiesmiester
    Free Member

Had both, Alpine is a great bike but the Sovereign is more fun.

paulo6624
    Free Member

Unfortunately I’ve just been having a Google and SOv frames don’t seem to be available anymore 😥

mundiesmiester
    Free Member

Get a Mk1 off the wanted here – you will not regret it

koolaid
    Free Member

Considering selling my medium frame if it is of interest.

paulo6624
    Free Member

Hi koolaid it would be pics and price please mate

munrobiker
    Free Member

Had this for 6 years and it’s flippin’ well good.

warpcow
    Free Member

Untitled by warpcow, on Flickr

Got mine when CRC were dumping them last year. Best bike ever? Possibly not. Most fun bike ever? Definitly! As above: it’s just so ridiculously versatile.

mangoridebike

(PixUp) by Chris_Read_3, on Flickr

Here’s my Alpine – love it!

Seems that those who have ridden both agree that both bikes are great but that the Sov has a little more to it. What are the key differences? geometry?

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

Been through some changes since this:

Going to try 650b wheels in a couple of weekend’s time.

paulo6624
    Free Member

Definatley leaning towards a sov although they are all great looking bikes

buzz-lightyear
    Free Member

With the Sov, the main thing is to understand that it feels hyperactive, against the prevailing philosophy of long-low-slack slow handling bikes.

I think it really suits twitchy singletrack and probably Dirt Jumps and 4x (I don’t do that), and just gets by on fast, choppy trails. It makes BMXy-feeling trails like Ashton Court a lot of fun. The big stay clearances make it good in winter filth too.

It’s a perfect foil to my bulldozing FS. Getting back on the Sov after riding the FS for a few weeks shows up how lazy and weak I’ve got. You get a lot of unexpected slides, lift offs and other scary moments that somehow work out. My riding mates enjoy watching the chaos unfold in front of them! As a previous poster said: not the best, stablest, easiest, fastest or most flattering bike, but maybe the most fun.

paulo6624
    Free Member

is anyone selling a sov frame, cant seem to find one anywhere

Viewing 19 posts - 1 through 19 (of 19 total)

The topic ‘show me your alpines or sovereigns’ is closed to new replies.