Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 186 total)
  • Show and Tell…Your Car that you bought for fun.
  • peak1

Had this for a while before off roading in the Peak District became a bit too contentious and petrol was under £1/litre

Great noise though.

skidsareforkids
    Free Member

A total money pit, but what a laugh!

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e1uc8V3pYtg[/video]

julians
    Free Member

I have a caterham 7 like this one for fun/trackdays.

Also have one of these for fun on the water.

Capt.Kronos
    Free Member

6th May 2013 by Rob Sutherland, on Flickr

That is my current fun vehicle. I don’t have the money or space for a fun car these days, so it is the works vehicle and the bike for me (and the bike has nearly had to go several times as it is!)

Someday I shall have something fun again, but not until we have moved out of the current house and my earnings have increased significantly!

RooleyMoor
    Free Member

I had one of these –

approx 230 bhp, good fun.

also, had one of these (Not a cooper, but a 1974 Morris Mini with a 1340 Howley Racing engine, went like stink)

Also built one of these –

1300 +40 thou overbore, GpA Head/Cam, Solid Lifters, Twin 40s, Ashley Exhaust, Lightened and Balanced Bottom end, Steel Flywheel, AP clutch, Quaiffe 5SP SCCR Box and LSD 4.5/1 CWP, Internal Gear Linkage, 2.25″ Coil Overs all round, 280mm front discs, rear disc conversion, fibreglass tailgate/bonnet, Perspex windows…

I’m not going to even think about how much I spent on it and never used it….. No, not even thinking about that right now.. *sigh*

somafunk

There’s some seriously well sorted “fun” cars on this thread – good work peeps and i’m not envious of the old style 911’s, oh no….not in the slightest……..

Here’s mine, not so much a fun car as my only car so it gets driven daily, stripped back to bare shell and extensive welding/rebuilt with £4k+ of new OE VW parts including bolts/washers etc, ABT tuned 2.0 16v engine/quaife lsd and refurbed leather interior : sitting at 196bhp and 972kg so over 200bhp/ton but not especially quick compared to modern stuff but i like it, especially 2nd to 3rd gear acceleration and the pops n’ barks on the overrun – it needs a respray and rust spots on bodywork sorted out this year if i can afford it and have the time to commit 3/4wks off the road.

andysblacksoul
    Free Member

Had these 2 in the past but nothing at the moment.

Wish I’d kept the 911. I bought in 1999 in the US for less than a 2nd hand Hyundai and it’s more than quadrupled in value since selling her in 2002 🙁

Milkie
    Free Member

Driving to the Alps in this:

Not mine, friends, bikes on roof, load up car, off we go! I wonder if we will get there!!

My fun car is a Ford Puma, stripped out, ready for track days at local track Castle Coombe.

peterfile
    Free Member

Has anyone ever owned a BMW 650?

Trying to think of reasons why a 2006 plate wouldn’t make a fun yet comfortable car for my weekly jaunts up north (even seems to manage 30mpg on a run).

It’s an understated rocket for £10k!

V8, 400bhp, 0-60 in 5 seconds.

Daniel
    Free Member

Series 1 I built for weekends / tatting about in.

I learned to drive in one and used it whilst in 6th form and college. I missed it and had to have another, so decided to build one to my spec.

Looks like a ’48 as much as possible but has wide springs and S3 axles, S3 steering and brakes. 2.5 petrol with S2a gearbox and overdrive.

I_Ache
    Free Member

Sounds perfect.

djglover
    Free Member

Ok, Ok excuse the cliché I know its a BMW!!, but the way I saw it was that it was an opportunity to own a normaly aspirated inline 6 RWD car that I could use every day that also had a bit of performance, before they died out. And they already have in mainstream production cars.

Such a good sounding car 🙂

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

All my cars are just for fun

Mintman
    Free Member

Here’s me and my Westfield at a wet Castle Combe earlier this year. Also sporting the attractive muffler to get below the noise limit.

wobbliscott
    Free Member

This was mine. Gone, but not forgotten. 1987 Porsche 944 turbo. Bought with 100k miles on the clock, sold 5 years later. Used for daily commute and track days. Never missed a beat, I upgraded suspension to KWv3, put 911 turbo big red brakes on it and chipped to just shy of 300 HP. Cheaper to run than my misuses Focus 1.8 zetec, never driven a moder spoertscar that was more fun to drive. Even the a/c worked. One of the best cars Porsche ever made.

1987 Porsche 944 Turbo by wobbliscott, on Flickr

rickmeister

Please someone say your loving your UR Quattro or better still, Quattro Sport…..

wobbliscott
    Free Member

A work colleague of mine has a UR Quattro. He loves it, bought it new, sold it, bought the same car back about 15 yrs later. I lust after it every day in the car park.

pjm84
    Free Member

Has anyone ever owned a BMW 650?

Trying to think of reasons why a 2006 plate wouldn’t make a fun yet comfortable car for my weekly jaunts up north (even seems to manage 30mpg on a run).

Wife had a 630 Conv . Good buy second hand and plenty fast for such a big car.

pjm84
    Free Member

Stage 2 tuned MG on MGC wires / lowered suspension. I did 50k in this car and then had it fully restored. Didn’t use it after that. Sold to pay for:

Stage 1 tuned TD5. Mint. Used the Landy for 3.5year and then sold it to pay for the Wife’s X5. 🙁

waldo1
    Free Member

This was fun for a while. Rare lichfield spec c type 25, circa 450bhp.
    No scooby burble on full chat due to twin scroll turbo and equal length madifold. screamed like a banshee instead.

this was good for the bikes. 245bhp and 400ftlbs

toby1

This thread has lead to bad things for my eBay watch list! Where’s a good place to read up on kit cars?

mamadirt
    Free Member

I wanted it, I did it, I loved it and I sold it.

No regrets!

+1 Sharkbite – loving that Cosworth too.

Thank God I don’t drive . . . 😆

Keando

@ Milkie

Love the RS, Is that a pukka X-Pack?

Don’t know about riding in the alps, would be javing fun driving that about…
    Had a standard one in the mid-late 80’s. Still want one now but the prices for a decent one are stupidly high 🙁

Kieran

Can’t get a bike in it, can’t get a bike on it, can’t get the weekly shop in it;

Alfa GTV by kieranpbennett, on Flickr

I love it though. It’s been doing a daily commute for the last 18 months and has never let me down (apart from when i left the lights on and the battery wen’t flat, but I can’t really balme the car for that)

Makes me smile every morening when I get in it.

jeffskowski
    Free Member

Had her for 5 years and it’s been huge fun, frustrating and sometimes expensive but worth it 🙂
    Sadly, due to kids and their incredible talent for using money she has to go 🙁

Has this for a couple of years before the Split. Also great fun.

WorldClassAccident
    Free Member

Finally found a browser where I can post pictures

From the Back :

Isuzu TF Plus cab – Great fun bouncing around the forest or loaded with bikes. So much better than the bike rack which was the other option.

BMW Z3 – In the process of being rebodied – picture plan below

SLK AMG55 Kleemann S8 – 596bhp, need I say more?

The rebody is roughly planned to be this:

Also had one of these

With this under the bonnet

thisisnotaspoon
    Free Member

Bought for fun, now the misus says it has to be sold to fund grown up stuff like a roof over our heads 🙁

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/very-ot-mg-midget-4000-loads-of-pics

righog
    Free Member

…….And as winter slowly turns to spring, a mans thoughts wander off to topless cars.

Was thinking along the lines of a 1999-2000 Boxster,as they seem to be a decent compromise between sportiness and comfort, buying a one a bit older seems to allow cheaper classic car insurance, maybe soon I will be able to add pics of my fun car to this thread.

Sandwich

Mk 2 scirocco when the kids were young. Lowered suspension and filter/ exhaust changes on a 1.8i. Went round corners on rails though not fast in a straight line.
    Then a 5 door Golf GTi (8v) that was chipped and lowered. That was a hoot too. Then a long gap of sensible family motors (Saab 9-5 with 195 bhp was the most exciting).
    Recently I had an S3 which went to pay for a wedding last year, much to the lads disgust.

frogstomp

Had it for 15 years.. only comes out for MOTs these days, but I just don’t seem to be able to let it go!

samuri
    Free Member

1300 +40 thou overbore, GpA Head/Cam, Solid Lifters, Twin 40s, Ashley Exhaust, Lightened and Balanced Bottom end, Steel Flywheel, AP clutch, Quaiffe 5SP SCCR Box and LSD 4.5/1 CWP, Internal Gear Linkage, 2.25″ Coil Overs all round, 280mm front discs, rear disc conversion, fibreglass tailgate/bonnet, Perspex windows…

That sounds a lot like my mini. Same sized engine and overbore, same carbs. Mine still had drums on the back though….which were interesting. I had a stage 2 rally head/cams on it as well which made a big difference. Ate cosworths.

samuri
    Free Member

Bought for fun, now the misus says it has to be sold to fund grown up stuff like a roof over our heads

http://singletrackworld.com/forum/topic/very-ot-mg-midget-4000-loads-of-pics

That’s lovely. Did you ever sell it?

thebrowndog
    Free Member

1999 WRX just like this one. Bought it new and only had it for six weeks before it was nicked. Fun six weeks though.

BigJohn

One of my riding buddies has a Ferrari 458 Challenge just for the track and uses a Lambo Aventador for pottering about on the roads and going to the gym etc. Still grumbles about the price of cake at the cafe on Cannock Chase though.

somafunk

Keep them coming peeps, some of you lucky buggers have far too much money 😀 , that old 911 on page 2 belonging to markend wins hand down i’m afraid.

My old golf i posted about back on page 3 is finally in the workshop where it has been for the past month as i gradually bring it up to a suitable standard where it will hopefully last another 30 years, New rear end, new front end, new rear inner arches and rear outer arches, new sills, new door skins, new bumpers, new plastics and numerous other bits n’ bobs followed by a marathon body prep & paint job to finish it off for the summer.

I had estimated £1.5k for the work, unfortunately it’s creeping above that but hopefully not by too much as i’m skint.

benp1

Enjoyed this thread. Would love a hot hatch instead of my diesel estate 5 series, wouldn’t work with my lifestyle though. Think about an S4/RS4 or an M5 but the running cost is crazy

My fun car is a motorbike, you get more opportunity to find space in the road to actually have some fun. Currently have a Fireblade

ourmaninthenorth

Feeling very inadequate here with a Mazda hatchback. Most fun I owned were 1975 Mini 850 and Mk 2.5 MX-5. And one or three Citroen Saxo VTRs.

Thinking about PXing Mrs North’s (modern) Mini Clumban. Wonder if they do a cooking version….?

Inbred456
    Free Member

[video]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hfuKI0B8qvc[/video]

This is the last thing we built for fun. Mini Minus kit car. 1380cc A series heavily modified with a straight cut box and fully adjustable suspension. It’s not particularly powerful compared to today’s hatches but it’s light (fibreglass shell) and handles well. Bloody good fun as well.

cynic-al
    Free Member

’89 Eunos, had it 7 years, love it.

Not the best for long drives though.

Viewing 40 posts - 81 through 120 (of 186 total)

The topic ‘Show and Tell…Your Car that you bought for fun.’ is closed to new replies.