Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)
  • Shoulder replacement surgery
  • crazybaboon

After getting knocked off my road bike last October I’ve now been told I need my right shoulder replaced. I fractured the neck of my right humerus and smashed the humerus head very badly. I’ve had surgery twice, but nothing has improved my pain or range of movement.
    Has any one had any experience of this?
    I’ve got a new Salsa Horsethief that I’m desperate to ride!

KidCragg
    Free Member

I think there was a new shoulder for sale in the forum

busydog
    Free Member

My son (age 33)is going to have to have a shoulder replacement done. Trying to hold off as long as possible, as apparently, said replacements do have a time-line before having to do it again.

He is fortunate (if one can be considered fortunate having to have that done) in that his is the result of a surgeon incorrectly using a pain-pump when he had earlier surgery, so all costs likely to be covered.

He has found that it’s hard to sort through all the medical information (sometimes conflicting) he has gotten in getting second/third opinions needed. Mrs. Busydog is a nurse who works extensively with several good orthopedic surgeons and that has been extremely helpful as she has been able to use them as sounding boards.

Wish you the best in the process. I just talked to an IT consultant I use today who had a hip replacement done 6 weeks ago and is pain-free and is finally beginning to walk normally for the first time in several years.

crazybaboon

I’ve been told about the time line, but my shoulder is in such a bad state it can’t be but off.
    I’ve had second opinions, but they say the same thing
    I’m 40 so still considered young for this!
    I’ve been warned that I may end up with having a fused shoulder as only a couple of revisions will be possible
    I’ve hopefully got a good surgeon, he’s operated on David Millar, Dean Downing and Ben Swift in the past

kjrogers

I’m a physio with 10 years experience, I don’t want to be the bearer of bad news but highly unlikely that you will be riding a bike again with a shoulder replacement. Normally done more for pain than function. Most people regain range just above shoulder level if they are doing really well. As your younger your rotator cuff is likely to be in better shape than someone older but still your likely to be functionally limited but in less pain.

mikewsmith
    Free Member

A good friend of mine had a Humeral head repalcement (sounds like the same thing) about 5 years ago.

He is not mountain biking much anymore but does loads of road stuff. The repeated jolting didn’t work for him. There was also damage to the other half of the joint from the metal work.

He was offered fusing as an NHS option but got a referal to a private guy near wigan (Dr Funk if you believe it) who got him on his NHS list for replacement. He had done windsurfers and climbers before who had returned.

I guess it’s about what the rest is like really. Get 2nd opinion and find someone with experience in sports injury as most of these things tend to happen to pensioners.

He was told the replacement wouldn’t last a lifetime but you betting with something better coming along in 15-20 years.

Superficial
    Free Member

A good website for a mooch around is shoulderdoc.co.uk – run by mr Funk as above. As for rehab potential, speak to your surgeon as it will vary massively. Hopefully as you’re young the outcome will be better than most people.

http://www.shoulderdoc.co.uk/article.asp?article=1238

Viewing 7 posts - 1 through 7 (of 7 total)

The topic ‘Shoulder replacement surgery’ is closed to new replies.