Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)
  • Shoulder mounted POV Camera for MTBing?
  • cookeaa

I’ve Just received a new Drift camera, and I was playing with mounting positions last night.

Atop my noggin is easy enough, but due to the camera’s shape Chest mounting is out… Drift do a shoulder mount harness thingy for ~£35 but it took me all of three minutes to attach the curved mounting plate to the shoulder strap of my pack and figure out how to do the same thing for free, it does look a bit Predator-esq… I like the idea of not having the camera to lug about on my head (it’s not that light) but I’ve not been able to get out on the bike with it yet to try…

My question is has anyone shot footage of MTBing using a shoulder mounted camera (Drift, GoPro or anything else) and how did it come out?

I can’t really decide if will work or not as my shoulder could well dip for/aft as I’m riding, making for a bit of a seasick Ground/Bar/Sky jumble and I did wonder if the shoulder mounted position was better suited to more upright Snowboarders or Skiers than MTBing…

Anyone?

mikewsmith
    Free Member

give it a go, would imagine it’s hard to keep the shake under control to keep it stable, side of lid is the alternative

cookeaa

Nah Side of the lid is out (maybe OK if using it on the FF lid) it’s the older HD170 which weighs a good ~150g I reckon that would lead to a bit of a lop sided lid and be quite uncomfortable to ride in…

It’ll be OK centred on top of my head, but some sort of torso mounting is what I want to try out, Chest as many do with their GoPro won’t work shoulder seems like an option, don’t really know where else I could mount it… on my side perhaps? Hmmm

The closer to your COG you can mount it the less it should be waving about, Right? that’s why Chest mounting tends to work quite well…

stevied
    Free Member

Does it make you look like this?:

almightydutch
    Free Member

Cookeaa, I thought the reason chest mounted worked so well is due to your body being quite stable compared to the frame etc. Anywhere on the upper body works well enough as you have limbs which take away nearly all trail chatter.

Chest is better than helmet as the perspective from the chest just works better for most things.

cookeaa

@stevied – Yeah! Only perhaps a bit more Gnarly Mincey…

yep that’s it, a Mincey Predator, that’s the look I’m after…

@almightydutch – Torso is generally more stable than Noggin IMO, but distance from COG will have an effect, the most stable part of your body will be about waist level, but that might not make such a great view…

I think I’ve got a couple of other places to try out mounting it now, I’ll give Noggin, Shoulder, maybe strapped to the side of my chest (if my arm doesn’t clash) a go…

Viewing 6 posts - 1 through 6 (of 6 total)

The topic ‘Shoulder mounted POV Camera for MTBing?’ is closed to new replies.